Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hog-tight, Horse-high, & Peanut M & M's

While it was all quite fascinating to me, I was especially interested in her comments about the fences. As she pointed to a split rail fence near us, she noted how important it was for the homesteaders to build the fences, “hog tight and horse high.”

You see, the farmers built wooden fences around their property to keep their animals in and other animals out. They learned quickly that if their fence was not built just right, the hogs would dig and crawl under it and the horses would jump over it. Hence the term, ‘hog tight and horse high.”

I don’t know why, but for some reason my mind connected that concept to my experience with my surgical tool. You see, like the fence, my surgical tool does exactly what it was designed to do. However, through the years, I have learned how to go under it and how to jump over it! Sound familiar?

There I was, standing in the middle of a large field at a historical site in Palmyra, New York. I listened intently as the tour guide described the great effort that had been made to re-construct the farm, log houses, fences and barns to what it was in the early 1800’s.

While it was all quite fascinating to me, I was especially interested in her comments about the fences. As she pointed to a split rail fence near us, she noted how important it was for the homesteaders to build the fences, “hog tight and horse high.”

You see, the farmers built wooden fences around their property to keep their animals in and other animals out. They learned quickly that if their fence was not built just right, the hogs would dig and crawl under it and the horses would jump over it. Hence the term, ‘hog tight and horse high.”

I don’t know why, but for some reason my mind connected that concept to my experience with my surgical tool. You see, like the fence, my surgical tool does exactly what it was designed to do. However, through the years, I have learned how to go under it and how to jump over it! Sound familiar?

Throughout these past few weeks, I have searched and identified ways that I sneakily crawl under and jump over my stomach pouch tool. And I know that I am a sneak! And to what end? Well unwanted pounds, duh! This little discovery has been a great eye opener and has served as a catalyst for changing some of myself defeating behaviors. We all know how essential our habits are to our long term success, and it is good to take stock (no pun intended) to fill in the gaps and fortify the foundations of our fences.

Hog-tight

As I searched, I found gaps that needed fortified and several holes that needed filled. First, my shopping habits had gotten a bit lax. It is so easy to justify the Cookies, candy and chips by saying…. They are for my family. But, time and time again, those worthless calories were working their way into my mouth. No more! I patched up that hole and have recommitted to making better choices when I shop. Next, my exercise had slipped a little. Ok, a lot. My husband’s hip surgery and recovery was the perfect excuse to stop going to the gym; a deadly decision for me. Our membership expired and we had not re-joined, but I have patch up that hole, too. I found a new fitness center and absolutely love it! I mean love it! And that is saying a lot for me.

Horse-high

The comments about building fences high enough so that horses could not jump over them, led me to wonder if the standards that I have set for myself are high enough. Did I need to raise my standards regarding what sort of behaviors I will and will not allow from myself? That called to mind an experience I had several years ago. I bet you can relate.

As I walked out of my office and down the hall I spotted a green peanut M & M on the ground. Now, keep in mind that I have always believed in the three second rule and I have never been above eating left over Halloween candy from the couch cushions. So, I glanced around to be sure I was alone, stooped over and picked up the M & M. As I started to pop it in my mouth, I instantly had these thoughts come to mind. “What are you doing? You are getting ready to eat food off of the floor! What is wrong with you? Why are you allowing this little candy to rob you of your self respect? Come on! You are so much better than that!”

An Ah ha moment for me to be sure. I put the M & M back in my pocket, finished my errand, returned to my office and gave the little fella a place of honor on my office credenza! In that small act, I raised my expectations of myself and committed to adopt a more healthy relationship with food; never again to allow these tempting little tid-bits rob me of myself. And he has company now; a little blue one I found in an elevator, and a yellow one I found in the parking lot. These M & M’s are a constant reminder, that I am worthy of better behavior.

May I encourage each of you to take some time to walk along your fence line to see if it needs your attention. What might you do to ensure that it is “hog tight and horse high” so that in a moment of temptation, you will not simply jump over or crawl under your perfectly good “fence."

what a great metaphor!

I don't have an m&m, but I do have a little foil-wrapped chocolate heart that sits on my work computer as a token to remind myself "I am stronger than the chocolate, I do not have to eat the chocolate just because it is in my sight, I will not eat the chocolate"

It's a visual anchor to keep me strong -- just like your m&m!

Very thought-provoking! Thanks for posting!

For that M&Ms trick to work for me, they need to stay on the shelf at the grocery store. :(

<p>For that M&Ms trick to work for me, they need to stay on the shelf at the grocery store. :(</p>

Lol I got ahold of one with a bad peanut in it, that did it for me!

Thank you for this. It was what I really needed to read today. I have been noticing there are a few holes in my approach and I love the thought of raising the fences.

I spend so much time doing things for others and I often forget to tend to my own backyard!!

I'm going to survey things today and make sure to correct and adjust properly!

You are a very gifted writer. I love the metaphor and I admire the FACT that you are better and stronger than an abandoned M&M. I'm saving your article to MY FAVORITES..... Which means, IT WILL BE READ AGAIN!

Thanks so much to each of you for your kind comments. So glad to know that there are so many here to 'get it'

Love to hear about the things that you discover that need attention to 'fortify' and strengthen your surgical tool.

All my best to you!

Colleen

Great metaphor! I thought of it today while at a lunch meeting. A colleague seated across from me was eating French Fries (my Achilles heel). I was feeling sad, deprived... But then a thought popped into my mind, 'I am stronger than a French Fry '.

Within an instant the negative thoughts were replaced with a sense of calm, Zen-like centeredness. To quote a popular 80s song, "What a Feeling!"

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful way to reframe a negative "cannot have, self-deprive" into a positive "I am strong, I have a choice, I am empowered" :). Kudos!!!