Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In need of a buddy :)

Hi there, I've decided to step back onto the site here, as I'm scared if I don't I'm going to put all my weight back on. I had my band fitted nearly three years ago, lost over 3 stone and now slowly but surely putting it back on... I need help desperately.. I need a buddy.. Not someone full of told you so's , someone that understands me and can help me get back on track...

Xx

I'm from the U.S., so I always have to do kilo to pound conversions, and stone to pound conversions. I know the fear you have about putting the weight back on..... I have TWICE lost 100+ pounds before (when in my twenties). I steadily gained till I was up to 327 pounds.... Yikes, that's hard to type. I'm in my 50's now and find it soooo much harder to lose weight now, but I have steadily lost over the past year. I was banded on August 22, 2013. Now to you..... What WLS did you have? Do you exercise on a regular basis? When is the last time you saw your surgeon? You must put the brakes on now. You cannot let yourself regain your weight. Share with us what is and isn't going on with you.

Hi there, thank you so much for replying to me.

I have the lap band which I have had now for nearly three years. I haven't seen my surgeon since I had my operation but see nurses from the same hospital. I had my surgery in Belgium , and the nurses come over to the uk to fill the bands. I wasn't happy the company who were originally looking after me so I go direct now to the nurses under the supervision on my surgeon. I have the right amount in my band.. My problem is the snacking between meals.. Things I know are going to go down. When I eat a meal it is only small. It's the chips , crackers and chocolate that go down too easily!! I work an office job so sat down all day, my husband works nights so I come home and snack.. I need to get out of this downward spiral which is why I decided to come back on here.. I need some inspiration and someone I can chat to when I feel I need to snack... It's silly as I'm not hungry. I'm eating for the sake of it!! Habit and comfort... I thought all this would be easy but it isn't... The band stops you eating but your brain still tells you to eat! I also work too near a grocery store which is always tempting! Maybe I should leave my purse at home so I can't buy treats! Xx

My sister-in-law and brother-in-law work on SHAPE in Belgium. Boredom and head hunger go hand in hand. I always tended to eat at night.... Watching TV..... while my family slept. I totally QUIT buying JUNK food. Can't have it in my house bc it calls my name. I have never been a Breakfast eater. I like breakfast food..... I just don't like eating in the morning. Like I sai, I like to eat at night, so this is what I do.....I drink two cups of coffee every morning, and that keeps me "full" until lunch time. That is when I eat my breakfast. I eat again when I come home from work . That is my lunch. And then I eat later that night. This is my dinner... But that way I'm eating twice at night when I always wanted to eat anyway. You have to remember why you started this process and had WLS to begin with....you weren't happy or healthy, right? Those chips, Cookies, chocolates, etc don't make you happy.... They are filling a void. Everything you walk into your kitchen, you should pick up an apple. Looking at the apple, you should ask yourself, "am I really hungry? BC, if I'm truly hungry, I'm going to eat this apple." 9 out of 10 times, I put the apple down and walk out if the kitchen. Also, I found I needed to exercise. I was a certified couch potato. Started exercising two months before my surgery, and haven't stopped since. That's a good alternative to boredom/snacking. Please stay in touch. Don't fall backwards. STOP now and RECOMMIT.

Just checking in to see how you're doing today, Julie?

<p>Just checking in to see how you're doing today, Julie?</p>

Hi there, I'm doing good, getting focused and ready to start a new week... Just trying to plan my food for the week.. Can I ask what sort of things you eat on a daily basis... I'm getting my head in gear and have bee for a long walk with my puppies today, planning on a bike ride and long walk tomorrow to kick start it all.

Thank you so much for your words of inspiration.. Ready your last email we have some many similarities then I think most banders will be able to relate.

Julie x

I'm pretty much a creature of habit during the weekdays (weekends are quite different). As I said before, I usually do not eat breakfast; however, when I do, it's either eggs and bacon or sausage, or oatmeal. For lunch, I make lots of salads for the week: tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad, chef salad, seafood salad, or chilli, or Protein Shakes after I exercise. I buy a vanilla already prepared shake, and add either frozen fruit or an extra scoop of choc Protein Powder and a scoop of PB2 and a frozen banana. I whip that up in my blender ...... Thick, rich, and full of Protein. For dinner, I eat whatever I fix for my family.... Usually meat (ground beef, chicken, steak, roast beef, turkey) and some sort of vegetable. I might also eat Beans or Italian, Mexican, Chinese foods. I pretty much eat anything, just modified. I try to not eat: sugar, white flour ( so no baked goods), white bread, white Pasta, or white potatoes. I really like those carbs, but I really try to NOT eat them. I do not worry about fat.... It's like the one thing I'm not willing to "give up." So, I'll eat fried seafood or fried chicken every once in a while. It's all working, bc the band helps me with the portion sizes. Like I said before, I do not buy or bring into the house snack foods. I do like guacamole and chips, so I found a brand of chips called Beanitos ( made of ground black beans or pinto beans). I'll eat those chips and homemade guacamole, but I eat it as a meal, not as a snack. I log all my good into MyFitnessPal to track calories each day. I aim to eat 900 calories a day. Since I exercise each day and burn around 500-600 calories, I eat those calories back, so I eat about 1400-1500 calories a day on days I exercise.

Hi there, thank you so much for low down on. Your food.. Today I have had oatmeal, then lunch was 3 crispbreads and homemade sweet potato and lentil Soup, dinner was chicken casserole with lots of vegetables.

I have started lots of exercise.. Yesterday we went on a long bike ride then a walk to the beach.. I'm aching lots today!!! I generally struggle with breakfast too so my oatmeal lasts me most of the morning and seems to keep me full longer.

I have to say I feel a bit deflated having the lap band... I thought it would stop me being hungry and solve all my problems.. I think sometimes , especially over here in the Uk, they don't give you the whole help and low down on it all.. If you pay for it that's all they want.. They don't tend to follow up on it, which I think is my problem.. No real aftercare.

I hope you have had good weekend.

Julie x

Hi Julie, way to go pulling it together -- you are worth it! It's such a big thing to choose our health and happiness in front of everything else. Choose Julie First!

Julie, How often can you get fills? This is crucial for the band to be adjusted properly...., until then, you are just dieting. I have follow-up appointments every four to five weeks. they are scheduled for the first year like this. i have gotten a fill each time. I go back tomorrow. I don't think I need a fill now bc everything seems to be good. I have restriction enough to eat a small meal three times a day. We'll see what doc thinks tomorrow. In my very humble opinion, I think you might still need more fills. Don't stop now..... You're only partially through your journey. Fills are necessary until you get in the GREEN ZONE.

Looks like you're getting it figured out.

I lost a bunch, regained, and am now working on losing again. It's hard to rededicate oneself when so far off plan. I found that going back to all liquids has really helped me.

Best of luck to you!

Thank you all for your kind words... It is hard getting back on track. I am going to make an appointment with my weight loss survey provider and maybe see about having some more in my band.. Though I don't think I can have much more.. Last time I had some in I got stressed out and couldn't swallow anything.. Not even suck an ice cube so I had to have some taken out... It's been a rough ride but I'm going to get there xx

Julie, I went in today for my regularly scheduled monthly appointment, thinking I would probably not get a fill. Doc did add .2cc. So they start adjusting with tenths of a cc after a while to start "tweaking" it. Glad to see you've been getting all of that exercising in. Keep us posted, TAMMIE

Hi Tammie,

Wow.. So you needed a fill, I'm about to email my provider about having a fill, I've had a Protein Shake for breakfast today, it's kept me going for the most of the morning and then a few bites of bananas.. Do you have to stay on liquids for a few days after your fill as over here you are supposed to (or they tell you) to have liquids for three to four days.. It scared me last time having my fill when I couldn't swallow. So I think just a small fill if I do have one. How much does your band hold? Fluid wise? I think mine is a large one, 14ml.

Julie xx