Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weird Water Nausea...suggestions?

Ok, So I'm just past 4 weeks post op and have really had no issues whatsoever with food. I have been on soft foods for the last 10 days, I've had many types of fish, scallops, chicken, even a few small bites of port sausages, the typical soft food fare and all seems to be just fine. Small bites, chew to excess, Protein first etc... no issues.

But Water... makes me nauseous??? I have always drank Water, lots of it, primarily only water. But it feels like a brick in my stomach and gives me an immediate nauseated feeling when I try to drink it. It's the weirdest thing!

I can drink decaff coffee, hot tea, gatorade, Protein shakes, but plain water makes me feel sick. Cold water is even worse... I won't even touch it anymore.

Does anyone else experience this? If so, did it go away for you? I just find it odd that nothing else bothers me but water.

Thanks for your shared experiences and advise. To anyone else who may be experiencing this, try hot tea. I get most my "fluids" in through Decaf in the morning, my Protein shake and then hot tea the rest of the day. I can down 8-12 oz of hot tea leisurely in 10-15 minutes, regular water same amount, takes me over an hour of constantly "trying" to drink it!

Thanks for any replies and shared experiences!

I am only 1 week post op, the first 24 hours I couldn't hold Water down. So they started giving me the chicken broth early. That was much easier to hold down. I can keep the water down now, just have to take small sips at a time, but not getting as much as they want me to.

Not weird at all. It's very common. I'm sure the community will give you lots of suggestions on what to drink. I still don't drink cold Water.< /p>

Do whatever you have to do to get all your fluids in. This early out 64 oz per day is fine. Getting more later on will help a lot with faster weight loss. If you have to get it with decaff Hot drinks then do that. Protein shakes do count, as well as any SF drinks, even SF Jello. You certainly aren't alone in that area, my first few months were very difficult with nausea and getting all my fluids in. It just boils down to doing it no matter what. Hang in there it does get better.

Be sure to take small sips. No rush, you have all day to get in 64 oz. Even rationing helped me - such as making sure I got in 8 Oz for 8 hours in the day.

Sorry one more thing: If you are experiencing excessive nausea please contact your surgeon. He can probably prescribe something for you to help you alleviate that. Good luck!

Edited by LilMissDiva

I never had the exact same issues with Water, but certainly could not drink as much Water as I could other things. I've read about a lot of people with similar experiences. At 15 months out I still drink mostly herbal tea or Vitamin water zero. Try mixing up the temperature, room temp instead of cold or the opposite. If you tolerate other fluids better, let them be your staple.

Lots of people report having trouble with plain Water. I am one of them. Though it is getting better with time. I can stil do warm liquids easier. I'm on my 4th cup of hot tea today. I also do diet hot chocolate at night if I have the 50 calories to spare. Two servings equal 50 calories, which gives me another 16 ounces at the end of the day.

I never was a Water drinker and still can't...I have to put one of the little flavor packets in it to stomach it. No problems with that.

Warmer liquids are still easier for me however. I am 4 1/2 months out.

Yes, it's very common. For some reason many of us have an easier time with Water if something's added to it. I like the Mio liquid flavors - just a little seems to make all the difference. Of course there are a million flavors of crystal light, too, or herbal teas. And, as other suggested, try Water at different temperatures.

I was told to add a lemon wedge to my Water bottle, or you can add the sugar free flavors. I was reading that plain Water is one of the hardest things on the stomach that's why people who are dehydrated have such a hard time keeping it down. The flavorings change the enzymes your body produces in response so your stomach can handle it easier.

I read somewhere it has to do with the surface tension of plain Water (forgive me if someone already said this). Anyways, thats what causes water to sometimes be uncomfortable in our tiny tummies. Just add a little something to it, anything. I like a splash of lime juice.< /p>

I read somewhere it has to do with the surface tension of plain Water (forgive me if someone already said this). Anyways, thats what causes Water to sometimes be uncomfortable in our tiny tummies. Just add a little something to it, anything. I like a splash of lime juice.

You beat me to it--I remember back in July, when I was newly post-op and couldn't STAND drinking water, that someone here posted about the surface tension of plain water being rough on our sleeves.

I agree, too, that Mio or Dasani Flavor Drops, or Crystal Light powder, all seem to help make the water less painful when your sleeve is still healing. Four weeks post-op is early days for that healing process; take a few of the tips offered so far and see which ones work for you.

I promise the discomfort will get better, and it'll become easier to get your fluids in. I still miss being able to "chug" water; I used to be able to guzzle down a whole bottle of it in one breath! No more of that, though--nowadays I can do about three or four big sips before my sleeve says, "slow down there, missy!"

Let us know what works for you!

No one warned me about plain Water and I thought I was just losing my mind because it is one of the hardest things for me to have in my stomach! Thank you for the insights and now I will flavor the water!

I have the exact same problem (7 weeks out now). I use lemon, or NUUN tablets. The tablets are awesome, I use the "All Day Hydration" ones and they have a ton a Vitamin in them. I usually add a small squirt of Mio or Crystal light as well. I try to get about 72 oz from my water bottle (three fills) a day, and use a NUUN tablet in one, and plain lemon in the other 2.

Ok, So I'm just past 4 weeks post op and have really had no issues whatsoever with food. I have been on soft foods for the last 10 days, I've had many types of fish, scallops, chicken, even a few small bites of port sausages, the typical soft food fare and all seems to be just fine. Small bites, chew to excess, Protein first etc... no issues. But Water... makes me nauseous??? I have always drank Water, lots of it, primarily only water. But it feels like a brick in my stomach and gives me an immediate nauseated feeling when I try to drink it. It's the weirdest thing! I can drink decaff coffee, hot tea, gatorade, Protein shakes, but plain water makes me feel sick. Cold water is even worse... I won't even touch it anymore. Does anyone else experience this? If so, did it go away for you? I just find it odd that nothing else bothers me but water. Thanks for your shared experiences and advise. To anyone else who may be experiencing this, try hot tea. I get most my "fluids" in through Decaf in the morning, my Protein shake and then hot tea the rest of the day. I can down 8-12 oz of hot tea leisurely in 10-15 minutes, regular water same amount, takes me over an hour of constantly "trying" to drink it! Thanks for any replies and shared experiences!

I do!!!! It's the most frustrating thing about this! I was a great water drinker before surgery. Now, I struggle to meet goals. I find it easier to drink 30-45 min after eating and truly hard when my stomach is "empty". I was struggling today and ate a piece of cheese. It seemed to make the queasiness go away and then I could drink again. But I find myself feeling like I'm grazing and that's no good. But I totally agree. Water on an empty sleeve is so nauseating. I drink a big cup of decaf tea at night (which goes down better) just to try to catch up. So frustrating.

So I have been nauseous every morning when I wake up and drink Water. Some days are better than others. I'm trying to get as much in as possible because I still am not drinking enough. Today as I'm trying to sleep in I drank the water (prob 4-6 oz) at my bedside and get so nauseous I actually threw up! First time I've thrown up since surgery almost 6 weeks ago. I always feel better when I eat something each morning. It's like my stomach goes too long without eating and rejects the water! That is so weird!!! I feel fine now as I'm sipping my Protein Shake for Breakfast. I love water and it's been my beverage of choice before and after surgery. It's like morning sickness without the pregnancy!