Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to death and looking for a surgeon in Baton Rouge, LA!

Hello! After visiting with my PCP, he and I have decided that gastric sleeve surgery is my best option for losing weight. He has referred me to a surgeon at HIS hospital. I'm guessing my PCP is required to recommend surgeons who work at the same hospital as he does...

I am REALLY scared about the procedure! I need comforting words and recommendations for surgeons with excellent track records. I have read SO many horror stories about surgeons damaging other organs during surgery and post-op leaks that keep people from working/living life and even leaks that kill people! I know I can't be the only person who is scared and feels clueless! Please help ;)

I can understand your fear. I was scared too when I first decided to be sleeved. I spent time researching and reading posts on websites. I went to Mexico for my sleeve. My surgery was with Dr. Fernando Garcia. I have been sleeved for 7 months with no complications other than Constipation (sometimes) and heartburn (spicy foods).

Everyone is different and will have different levels of success. Some lose weight quickly and some are slow. The best thing to remember is that this is a tool not a miracle surgery. It takes work. I have lost 98 lbs and feel great! Better than I have for the last 20 years. I have no regrets and would do this again in a heart beat.

Use some of your time to look around the forum and read posts. There is a lot of good information and support to be had on this website.

I wish you the best of luck on your new journey.

It is normal to be scared. I was before the surgery and I backed out several timers before having the surgery. But my gut ( ha) told me I need do this for me. I would suggest that you go to a hospital that is certified as a Center of Excellence. Go to the meetings that the hospital provides on wls , usually once a month, and speak to those who have had the surgery. How they felt about the dr that did the surgery, how was he recommended, what issues they had after surgery.

I have no regrets with the surgery. The hospital,where I had my surgery actually gave me a huge binder with so much info for pre and post op. The eating phases was spelled out in detail . That is important..that u have post op support through your hospital. At least is was for me. Keep us posted on your journey to having this surgery.

Hello! After visiting with my PCP, he and I have decided that gastric sleeve surgery is my best option for losing weight. He has referred me to a surgeon at HIS hospital. I'm guessing my PCP is required to recommend surgeons who work at the same hospital as he does...

I am REALLY scared about the procedure! I need comforting words and recommendations for surgeons with excellent track records. I have read SO many horror stories about surgeons damaging other organs during surgery and post-op leaks that keep people from working/living life and even leaks that kill people! I know I can't be the only person who is scared and feels clueless! Please help ;)

We can only pray that we make the right decision. I have the same fears that you have. When I was younger I would do things on a whim no hesitation no second thoughts. I'm really scared and I haven't even scheduled my surgery yet. You are not alone I'm right with you. Best of luck!

i agree with carlotta, go to a center of excellence. i used a center of excellence and my medical care was excellent despite complications. my surgeon is the chief of surgery at the hospital and i thought he was a totally awesome surgeon and person. (a friend with bypass says his surgeon is a nazi, even though he is happy with his results).

(my complications had nothing to do with my surgery, i apparently had pancreatitis after my gall bladder was removed [not diagnosed at the time] and i had tons of scar tissue in my belly, on my stomach, pancreas and spleen. the doctor had to clean that all up and as a result i had a longer and rougher initial recovery period)

I've chosen Ochsner. You should look into their program.

Unless Ochsner offers their own financing- I'm out! That's what's holding me back! My insurance excludes ALL bariatric surgery even if it's deemed medically necessary! My credit is good, but no bank will loan me $15,000 without collateral. I'm only 30- my retirement fund is not yet large enough to borrow against. And, no, I'm not going to Mexico. Any other ideas? I've had no luck finding private insurance that covers bariatric surgery......i'm all out if ideas. Carecredit doesn't cover the entire procedure.....

Unless Ochsner offers their own financing- I'm out! That's what's holding me back! My insurance excludes ALL bariatric surgery even if it's deemed medically necessary! My credit is good, but no bank will loan me $15,000 without collateral. I'm only 30- my retirement fund is not yet large enough to borrow against. And, no, I'm not going to Mexico. Any other ideas? I've had no luck finding private insurance that covers bariatric surgery......i'm all out if ideas. Carecredit doesn't cover the entire procedure.....

Actually, Ochsner goes though care credit first, then bank of Nevada makes payment arrangements for any left over. The best thing about the bank of Nevada is that It's ZERO interest on hospital balances. They pay the hospital off and you pay them back. You should call the bariatric financial counselor and inquire. I truely hope it works out for you. Believe me I understand this delima.

i wasnt trying to be nice, i was trying to point out that most of us get fat and stay fat without a second thought of how much risk we are putting ourselves in. we lie to ourselves about the reality of how risky being fat is. some of us wake up and make permanent changes because we arent willing to put ourselves in that much risk anymore. i understand the OP is overwhelmed with the idea of the surgery. but being overweight is, in reality, something to be much more frightened of.

Edited by moonlitestarbrite

I've chosen Ochsner. You should look into their program.

Who is your Dr at Ochsner? I am choosing them as well?

Actually, Ochsner goes though care credit first, then bank of Nevada makes payment arrangements for any left over. The best thing about the bank of Nevada is that It's ZERO interest on hospital balances. They pay the hospital off and you pay them back. You should call the bariatric financial counselor and inquire. I truely hope it works out for you. Believe me I understand this delima.

In this situation, IMHO the interest rate is meaningless.

What's much more meaningful in financing hospital costs / debt is how large the hospital's total bill (to you) will be, which you'll have to pay off.

Please be aware that the amount a hospital can charge you may range by as much as a factor of 4, depending on how you negotiate the hospital costs.

And if you are 30 years old and unsophisticated in financial negotiations you are very likely to be screwed by both the hospital and by the company (and their sales agents here) that want you to borrow the money from them.

Just as an example: Would you rather pay off a $30,000 bill at 0% or a $15,000 bill at 8% interest? (Of course, how long you take to pay off the debt matters, too.)

In these two examples, paying off a $30K loan at 0% over 5 years will cost you $500/month. A $15K loan at 8% will cost you $304.15/month to pay off in 5 years.

Just saying.

You need some good advice from someone locally who has experience negotiating these kinds of costs with local hospitals and their payment schedules. Good luck!