Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Hi everyone. I had VSG on Feb 10th and have only lost 15 pounds since my surgery. I lost the exact same amount during my 10 day pre-op.

I think Im doing everything right so I am quite frustrated at this point. I drink 64 oz of fluids a day, my carbs are at less than 20 g/day, Im getting at least 90 g of Protein in a day and my caloric intake is between 500-600 cal/day. Im also walking 5-6 days a week at a good pace for 45-60 mins each time.

Please someone tell me what gives????

Thanks

The infamous 3-week stall. It happens. Check out the link in Butterthebean's signature line. The article explains why stalls happen.

I am in my 5th month. And since month two, I have spent more time stalled than not. It's weeks of no weight loss followed by spurts of loss. It's frustrating as hell. But I'm following the plan, tracking everything and waiting out my scale. It blows.

I am sorry you are frustrated,

I know when I started walking 3-5 miles 3xs a week at 10 months out I began to gain weight steadily, I stopped exercising 6 weeks after I started and the weight loss began again,

Sounds like you may need to up your carbs a bit. I know in my first 10 months I had to include 2 graham crackers and cream cheese at night. Carbs are not bad ( everything in excess is bad) You need carbs to burn. Its a fuel.

You need to find your happy numbers. If I don' eat a minimum of 800 calories and 50 carbs a day I do not lose. Do some experimenting.

I wanted to also say you are NOT in a stall unless you have had no weight loss or inches in over 30 days... Are you measuring your body on a weekly bases? Taking photos? I know my body likes to lose inches rather than actual weight. IT also does some fun shifting of weight.

OK, let me offer some different perspective:

1) Certain people have a very difficult time loosing weight. Us. That's why we went through this process. So, if you stall or the weight comes off slowly, you've just completely validated your decision to have the surgery. Imagine starving yourself on some sort of ridiculous diet right now. You'd be totally unmotivated by the lack of progress and maybe give up. That's impossible now!

2) From what I can tell, you've lost about a half pound per day. That's an awesome rate and if you extend out the math, I'm sure you'd be tracking very nicely towards your goal.

3) There are a LOT of benefits to loosing weight gradually -- it's better for your skin, more natural, less stress on the internal organs, etc.

To sum up -- you made the right choice, your weight loss is awesome and unlike the past, you don't have to worry about "falling off the wagon!"

I don't think you are doing anything wrong and I think your calories are where they need to be this early out. Not everyone loses super fast, I certainly did not. You may also be in the 3 week stall, considering the timing here, as others have mentioned. I certainly would not increase calories or carbs, but that is just my opinion, and I am not a dietician. Going super low carb now is not only a good way to lose weight but is a great way to cleanse your system of carb addictions and make it easier for you in the long run.

Stick with it, follow your nut & doctor's recommendations, and tough it out. Your progress is not bad, really it isn't. I'm sure you are disappointed, but it could be a lot worse.

Remember that your sleeve is a tool to help you..Sounds like you are doing everything right..Also, losing slow helps your body and skin adjust to what is taking place...You are doing great!!! 30lbs down is awesome...Keep it up!!

Thanks for all your feedback. Im just frustrated right now because I was actually losing more prior to being sleeved. Im sure that eventually things will get better it just sucks right now. As far as taking in more calories in a day Im not sure that I could. Im still on purees and can only eat about 1/4 cup atmeals and that combined with Protein intake and fluids Im pretty much eating and drinking on a very tight schedule. Im hoping this stage - whatever you want to call it is just my body adjusting to its new self.