Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quest bars are Poo Bombs

Bought a box of them once, after reading a (probably paid-for) shining review on a blog.

Foulest thing I've ever eaten. Slimy AND dry at the same time. Color of duck poop. Texture of that tacky stuff you use to put a poster on a wall.

What a waste of money.

I'm a HUGE fan of the chocolate brownie flavor Quest bars--they are my morning Breakfast of choice on workdays. The other flavors? Not so much--either the taste or the texture just doesn't do it for me. But don't get between me and my Breakfast brownie, LOL!
Here's a direct cut-and-paste of what their website says about the sweeteners they use.

Keep in mind that if you're sensitive to one of these, each flavor of Quest may or may not use the one that triggers the "bombing run"! :D

ingredients_content_box_09_header_01.gif

A plant that's been used as a sweetener in China for over 1,000 years. It only takes a TINY amount as it's 300 times sweeter than sugar.
Stevia is an herb in the Chrysanthemum family which grows wild as a small shrub in many parts of the world. The glycosides in its leaves, account for its sweetness and it has been used as a sweetener in many countries for many years.
While Erythritol is classified as a sugar alcohol it is ENTIRELY different than all of the others. It does not upset stomachs, it contains only 0.2 calories per gram and has little to no impact on blood sugar. We know it's important to give you control over your nutrition which is why select QuestBars are sweetened with Stevia and Erythritol, and our Original Line is sweetened with Sucralose.
ingredients_content_box_10_header_01.gif
Sucralose is generally recognized as the best artificial sweetener available. It's over 600 times sweeter than sugar so it's used in almost microscopic amounts.

I'm absolutely addicted to them and no one pays me to say that. There are some flavors that I don't care for, but I happen to love the texture. I agree that chocolate brownie is good but my favorites are the cookie dough, vanilla almond crunch and the new Cookies and cream. To me they are better than a snickers bar and there's no guilt after eating one.

Bought a box of them once, after reading a (probably paid-for) shining review on a blog.

Foulest thing I've ever eaten. Slimy AND dry at the same time. Color of duck poop. Texture of that tacky stuff you use to put a poster on a wall.

What a waste of money.

Ummm, well...just because you don't like them doesn't mean that others don't. I absolutely LOVE Quest bars. I love the texture and the flavor. There are a few of the flavors that I don't like but most of them are pretty good IMO. And the Double chocolate Chunk, Brownie, and Cookies and Cream flavors are amazing. And nope, I didn't/won't get not one penny for this shining review!lol...You have to remember that we all have our own preferences. Some love Quest bars. Others hate them. Same goes with most everything else out there. I don't like other Protein bars because, to me, they're too dry and crumbly and not filling enough. I don't want to waste calories on something that is going to leave me feeling hungry again in an hour or two. I recognize that not everyone is going to agree with me on quest bars but that doesn't mean I was paid off to say nice things about it. I just happen to like them. Same as you like the things you like.

Oh man that would be a much welcomed side affect! I want to try the new flavor- I've tried them in the past and they were okay, but I've never been a huge fan of Protein Bars, but seriously reconsidering it lately. Might have to get my hands on one of those double chocolate brownie bars you all mentioned, I've been dying to try the Cookies and cream!

I just dont take the fiber chews now if I know I'm having a Quest bomb. Seems to keep things moving ok without lighting the fuse!

I take fiber chewies and try to keep my dietary fiber up naturally as well. As I imagine many of you do. Well these bars clock in at over 20g of dietary fiber! Hence why I call them poo bombs. If you use them in your daily diet, you may want to scale back other fiber supplementation.

Jay

Your post motivated me to seek out the Quest bars. After reading impressive nutrition values on the label, I gave them a try. As usual, the flavor descriptions on the label couldn't be farther from reality, but they still aren't bad tasting. The real benefit is the carbs for the gym and the fiber. You were dead on with the benefits there. I was able to cut back on my daily dose of Colace. Nuff said there. They work. A bit pricey, but good choice. Thanks.

I eat one every day. I WISH they were poo bombs for me.

I have to admit I am addicted to Quest bars. I have one every day, usually as my Breakfast. It is quick, easy, great Protein and tasty. I actually feel lost when I run out. As far as the "poo bomb" issue...not so much for me. Now, if for some reason one day I decide to eat two ( in a hurry and need a quick meal later in the day) then yes, "things" speed up. But overall I think the Quest bars have actually helped my situation. I was taking Probiotics ( still do when I remember) to help my "slow go" issues. But now I am a member of the pretty regular, once a day club again. If I have the Quest bars to thank for that then I owe them!!! LOL

I read this topic awhile back and I thought... Phew! I'm not the only one. As long as I'm getting my Water intake I don't have issues. Not to be gross but Quest bars and me are like that scene in the movie "Dumb and Dumber" when Jim Carey's character dumps an entire bottle of Exlax in Jeff Daniels' characters tea. :) Definitely a colon cleanser for me. I would rather drink Mira lax any day. Sorry for the TMI :P

It might be the erythritol or sugar alcohol in them that has that effect on some. I don't have any of those issues with Quest Bars.. I like them and use them for extra Protein on days I am in a hurry.