Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

http://gawker.com/your-doctor-is-probably-not-fat-shaming-you-1535358667

Your Dr. pointing out that you are fat, and that you need to so something about it is NOT fat shaming.

Now that was interesting and I've read on this very forum where some people have complained about their own doctor.

What I found interesting were the comments below? Some people completely missed the point of the article. Here's a gem:

"However, I think it's really condescending of you (and everyone who thinks that way) to think that these folks need doctors to point out to them that they are obese and that it would be better if they were not obese"

It's not like the doctor walked up to someone in the chips and cookie isle at the grocery story and said you don't need those fattie!! When I go to my doctor I want the truth, and I can handle the truth.

tmf

It's not like the doctor walked up to someone in the chips and cookie isle at the grocery story and said you don't need those fattie!! When I go to my doctor I want the truth, and I can handle the truth.

tmf

We are a culture that looks for ways to be offended. There are Dr.s who are asshats, but talking it over with your patient certainly doesn't qualify.

I guess I have been lucky because my primary is not interested as much in the scale as how I am feeling. He just wants me to be healthy and we had that talk and both agreed that I know what I need to do and stick to it and he doesn't have to keep reminding me every time he sees me. I guess he is really good like that. But he also doesn't believe in testing you for everything in the world to get money from the insurance companies. I go see him every six months to get my meds refilled and other then that if I have any issues he is there to talk to me.

Well if it weren't for my Doc politely telling me I was MORBIDLY OBESE, I wouldn't have has this surgery, lost a sh*t load of weight, became healthier, walked threw a GYM door, put a smile back on my husbands face (if ya know what I mean), fit in an airplane seat, chase my grandkids around the yard, or walk 3 miles when ever I choose OR found this awesome site!!....hmmmm, what was that my Doc said I was...MORDIDLY OBESE??..thank you my sweet Doctor for caring enough to hurt my sensitive A$$...love him :P :D

My Dr. politely talked to me about my weight. Did I know I was fat? Sure, I did! My PCP talked to me like a friend and was a proponent for WLS. He was instrumental in helping me through my insurance requirements and has been my biggest cheerleader! I don't get why people get their feathers ruffled about a Dr. telling them they need to lose weight. Even if you don't have symptoms right now the weight will eventually catch up with you.

On the other hand, I have heard of situations where an overweight person went to the Dr. for some aliment and all the Dr. would focus on was their weight. Those Dr.'s made their mind up as soon as they saw the patients chart and the weight. To me that Dr is failing their patient. IMO

I'm thankful for my PCP and my WLS and the nurses who encourage me to succeed.

My whole care plan has been hijacked by my weight. My prescriptions are all to alleviate conditions caused by my weight. Therefore, my relationship with my doctor must include conversation about my weight. The best advice he ever gave me was that my back problem is a front problem. he became my physician in 2010 after my previous primary was ignoring my concerns about my rediculously and alarming high blood pressure (215/110 when I went for a procedure at the pain clinic), which caused a stroke 2 weeks later. Thankfully, I had just moved during those two weeks and was taken by ambulance to a different hospital, where my current primary was assigned to be my attending physician.

As a team, we tried everything in a weight loss protocol over these past three years and my body was not responding in spite of our valient effforts. So, last August he referred me to the bariatric clinic to get weight loss surgery. Do we talk about my weight? Yeah, all the time? Am I offended? No, because he's not beating me up with a harsh tone. He is gentle and cautious in his conversation and knows that weight problems can mask a delicate psyche. That's the difference. He is not a green meanie. Here's to all of the good doctors out there who want the best fo us!

In 1996 I went to the ER but needed a copy of the clinical notes for something and I was shocked to see that he wrote Obese female because I thought I was just overweight not Obese. Opened my eyes but even then I was probably 215. My highest was 247 right before surgery. I hope to never be labled as obese again.

ya know..just cuz we're on the topic..Fat Shaming..funny how the words 'Fat and/or Obese' are offensive to some people..a co-worker called me 'Skinny Minnie' and I thanked him? Isn't he still calling me names?? just an observation....

A Dr. telling to lose because of health,mobility or home life is one thing.telling you fat is different.my father always said. IT IS NOT WHAT YOU SAY IT IS HOW YOU SAY IT. Fuzz is going to have a Protein Shake and go to bed . whoppi

P.S 10 DAYS TILL SURGERY

nite fuzzy ^_^

tmf

Not only that but objective evidence often points to the truth--such as cholesterol levels, blood sugar levels, thyroid levels--and politically correct attitudes (not to be confused with manners) have no place in a Dr's office. That's what the doctor's there for, and let's not beat around the bush--being overweight is bad for us!

I've had great conversations about weight with three of my last four doctors. (I switched the first two because of moves or changes in insurance--both were great). Then I got one who was from another country (China in this case), and when I saw him and asked for some help with my weight, and asked about sleep apnea and a couple other weight related concerns I had, he said (true quote) "Have you ever even tried a diet?" My jaw dropped - and if he'd even read a fraction of my file he'd have known I'd tried all of them. I asked if he was serious - and he said yes. I politely told him that it's pretty rare for a woman in this area to manage to get to nearly 400 pounds and age 50+ without having tried at least half a dozen diets. He had no other suggestions but said he'd be happy to go look some things up on the internet for me. I never went back to him, and he's since left the practice. My new doctor is an amazing woman from India - and she immediately said we should get the sleep apnea diagnosed and then start dealing with the weight, which we are. She suggested WLS and when I was ready and emailed her, she called in the referral personally within the hour! Morale of the story - ditch any doctor who's not listening or reading your chart or up to date on how to help -- and doesn't feel like s/he's on YOUR team!