Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Then vs Than

Call me a stickler, but this drives me nuts!

"I'd rather eat this, then that" = I'll eat this first, I'll eat that second.

"I'd rather eat this, THAN that" = I'll eat this, not that.

Then always refers to a time

Than always refers to a choice of one over another

Ok, rant over.

✌️

Call me a stickler, but this drives me nuts!

"I'd rather eat this, then that" = I'll eat this first, I'll eat that second.

"I'd rather eat this, THAN that" = I'll eat this, not that.

Then always refers to a time

Than always refers to a choice of one over another

Ok, rant over.

✌️

LOL I hear ya there. I think lots of times it's spell check that changes the then to than it must like it better than then.

your versus you're

their versus they're

lose versus loose

:)

to versus too

I'm totally with you!!!! Lose vs loose dives me crazy when I read it!!

I can't stand when people put a random apostrophe in a word when they really just needed an "s." Example: I ate two Protein bar's. Drives me nuts. My other pet peeve is the word "irregardless." I am kind of a grammar Nazi, though, and that drives my husband nuts.

Oh Well!

I'm an avid reader so I have an excellent vocabulary and am very good at spelling. I have to admit, though, that spell check can make me seem illiterate if I don't proofread before hitting 'send'! Lol

You really have to keep your sense of humor! :-)

I'm an avid reader so I have an excellent vocabulary and am very good at spelling. I have to admit, though, that spell check can make me seem illiterate if I don't proofread before hitting 'send'! Lol

You really have to keep your sense of humor! :-)

Agreed! ;) Thank goodness for the edit button!

Agreed! ;) Thank goodness for the edit button!

Every darn time I write something that my nutritionist says and I start it with "My 'Nut' says..." spell check changes 'Nut' to 'But'. Evidently I have an informative 'But'. Lol

I wish I could like this post 1000 times.

I think a lot of times people are on their phones and well it just kind of does it's own thing. Being a writer, I tend to think that I can have a day of not worrying about someone policing my post. It's kind of like my let down time to write and do as I please. I always say if it doesn't matter in ten years I am not going to worry about it.

Cheryl2586, I'm surprised that it wouldn't drive you nuts as a writer to see these types of errors...

My bf was an English professor. I have him correct my grammar even though I thought I had perfect grammar. It's amazing how many things I had wrong.

Such as"if and wish." In the case of if or wish, It's I wish I were at Disneyland, rather than I wish I was at Disneyland.

I always thought it's a case of singular and plural. I was, We were. Not the case with "if or "wish"

My bf was an English professor. I have him correct my grammar even though I thought I had perfect grammar. It's amazing how many things I had wrong. Such as"if and wish." In the case of if or wish, It's I wish I were at Disneyland, rather than I wish I was at Disneyland. I always thought it's a case of singular and plural. I was, We were. Not the case with "if or "wish"

I thought it was "if only" and "wish"

I agree with Cheryl2586. Other peoples' grammer and punctuation faults will not matter in ten years and will not matter in ten minutes. If we were grading English tests or sending out office communications for a boss, then it would matter. Since this is a more casual forum, there will be many "just folks" participating.

Not everyone has the advantage of a college degree or a career as a journalist. So long as I can decipher what was meant, I am cool with it. This forum in particular welcomes everyone no matter what level of English compentency they have. Sure, I notice the glitches, but I do not let them bother me. With that said, I guess we should agree to disagree. This is an "opinions welcome" place to come.