Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

please help! need caloric intake

I am 1 week 3 days post-op. I am having a hard time getting in calories. Who knew this would be an chore? I'm at 600 calories per day and I need a 1000. I'm still on liquids with the allowance of one egg and one piece of fish. I need some suggestions please?

I didn't have a problem with calories after I did a log of what I was eating. most Protein Shakes have 100cal or more. some of the ones with the most Proteins can get to 180 calories. I was mixing my Protein with fat free milk, so my protein and milk equaled 210 calories a pop. I was very surprised.it sounds like you are to the mushie stage. add healthy choice cream Soups, refried Beans and a few baked corn chips, add some low fat cheese and microwave. chili. it was one of my most favorites during this phase. yogurt, make it greek like lite and fit. low fat cottage cheese, hummus, one egg is 70 calories so eat a couple of eggs, add some hot sauce to them orlow fat cheese. good luck.

Who told you that you "need" more calories? Maybe they'll provide you with suggestions.

If I wanted to get in more calories and was limited on solid food choices,...I'd do a Protein shake or liquid Protein. I've never been told I needed MORE calories to lose weight though. ..

Who told you that you "need" more calories? Maybe they'll provide you with suggestions.

If I wanted to get in more calories and was limited on solid food choices,...I'd do a Protein shake or Liquid Protein. I've never been told I needed MORE calories to lose weight though. ..

Catfish.... My nutritionist told me I needed more calories..... I'm sorry that no one told YOU that. It is my understanding that we all were given different directives.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I didn't have a problem with calories after I did a log of what I was eating. most Protein Shakes have 100cal or more. some of the ones with the most Proteins can get to 180 calories. I was mixing my Protein with fat free milk, so my protein and milk equaled 210 calories a pop. I was very surprised.it sounds like you are to the mushie stage. add healthy choice cream Soups, refried Beans and a few baked corn chips, add some low fat cheese and microwave. chili. it was one of my most favorites during this phase. yogurt, make it greek like lite and fit. low fat cottage cheese, hummus, one egg is 70 calories so eat a couple of eggs, add some hot sauce to them orlow fat cheese. good luck.

That sounds yummy!!! I'll try that and adding the skim milk to my shakes. Thanks. :-)

That sounds yummy!!! I'll try that and adding the skim milk to my shakes. Thanks. :-)

I add 4oz half and half and 4oz skim milk to my Unjury shake powder and keep it in the fridge for my 2 Snacks. I agree with the calorie increase suggestion. It's to help the body stay out of starvation mode. I have been slowly increasing the amount of calories I eat each day. After surgery I started around 300 calories and have built up to about 700. Still in the liquid phase though. I start mushies on Friday.

I have never "counted" calories during this journey. I was banded on 12/16/13. My doctor never stressed that part of it. I have had 3 fills and I am down 35 lbs. I make good choices most of the time. The hard part is that my job requires me to attend mixers, happy hours and eating lunch out. I try to order seafood most of the time but I am sure there is a lot of butter. I have been very lucky to still lose with out weighing portions, etc. I pay attention to my band when I eat. I have never had anything get stuck. I chew a lot and I put my fork down after each bite. Is there a set amount of calories to take in daily? I think I am doing this right considering my life style and weight loss. I don't buy diet food. I dont eat diet pre packaged food. I buy real food. And I cook it.

Right now its not about getting in calories or Protein its about you healing. For any nutritionist to expect a certain calorie intake after abdominal surgery does not know what she is talking about and yes I have taught nutrition classes to lap band patients. The only thing you should be worried about now is staying hydrated and healing. Other then that you should not be worrying about how many calories you are consuming. Every time you put food in your stomach it has to work hard to digest it. That is why most surgeons put people on Clear Liquids at least for two weeks so that the sutures have time to heal before your stomach starts moving. I know each surgeon is different but the anatomy of lap band surgery is not.

Edited by cheryl2586

Cheryl, are you supposed to count calories ever or just listen to your band? My doctor never really stresses the need to count with me. .? Should I be seeing a nutritionist?

Depending on when your surgery was and at what point of your food you are at determines when you should count calories. In the first weeks after surgery I would say up to at least six weeks or your first fill then no but you still should be aware of what you are consuming. If you are a fresh post op then I would not no matter what my surgeon said would be consuming any food products no matter how soft they are. But that is just my opinion and what my surgeon does. Once you are at the point that you are consuming real food then yes you should still count calories until your band is properly adjusted. I can not stress enough the importance of letting your surgery heal. This is the time that some people run into band slips or other complications because they were told to go ahead and eat real food. The band and sutures need that time to adhere to your stomach.

When do you consider yourself healed? 3 months post op?

I would say 6 to 8 weeks but 8 to 12 just to make sure. Of course not be on Clear liquids all that time. You would increase to full liquids at 2 to 4 weeks then soft foods from 4 to 6 weeks then on to solid food.

Depending on when your surgery was and at what point of your food you are at determines when you should count calories. In the first weeks after surgery I would say up to at least six weeks or your first fill then no but you still should be aware of what you are consuming. If you are a fresh post op then I would not no matter what my surgeon said would be consuming any food products no matter how soft they are. But that is just my opinion and what my surgeon does. Once you are at the point that you are consuming real food then yes you should still count calories until your band is properly adjusted. I can not stress enough the importance of letting your surgery heal. This is the time that some people run into band slips or other complications because they were told to go ahead and eat real food. The band and sutures need that time to adhere to your stomach.

Dang Cheryl! Are you specifically answering MY question since i started the thread? You sound kind of harsh in your answer. Kudos to you on your teaching lap band patients. However that does not give you the right to downplay anyone elses doctor and nutritionist! However i will listen to my nutrionist and my doctor. All i asked was help getting in the calories that i was told to consume. And since my doctor and my nutrionist know MY needs i'll go with that! I am so sick at some of the bullying in posts that go on here sometimes with you being one of the bullies!! Thanks for everyone else's positive input to my question.

If you're allowed dairy, two tablespoons of heavy cream is 100+ calories. In the early stages when I was trying to get in a bit more, I added this to my Protein shakes and Soups. I stopped when I entered mushies food stage as I was then getting in the recommended calories. I found this to be very easy to do as two tablespoons isn't much to add especially when about 4 oz of liquids made me feel SO full.

Best of luck!

If you're allowed dairy, two tablespoons of heavy cream is 100+ calories. In the early stages when I was trying to get in a bit more, I added this to my Protein shakes and Soups. I stopped when I entered mushies food stage as I was then getting in the recommended calories. I found this to be very easy to do as two tablespoons isn't much to add especially when about 4 oz of liquids made me feel SO full.

Best of luck!

Thank you Tara-U. :-)