Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To scared to swallow food!

Weeks after my surgery I found it hard to eat soft foods, etc. everything I ate seemed to make me sick to the stomach. Now that I am a least 10 weeks out I have another dilemma......For weeks now I have been eating only to chew my food very well......but when it time to swallow it I DON'T! I spit it out (maybe TMI). Don't get me wrong some food go down, but only a bite maybe a half bite the rest goes in the trash. I don't eat around people because I catch myself grabbing a napkin or tissue! It has gotten so bad that we went to a restaurant and the first thing my husband did was grab napkins and gave it to me! I was so embarrassed! I drank a lot of Water that trip. I feel that if I swallow the food I will get that bubbling, nauseous feeling in my stomach. I don't know what to do...I quit one habit and formed another. Any suggestion! Go see my NUT on the 18th sooooo!

The 18th isn't soon enough. Call your doc Ofc tomorrow.

Try taking smaller bites, etc... But you need to see someone now, not in 3 weeks.

I agree - see if you can get into your NUT sooner. You should address this with a professional as soon as you can.

Going to take off the kid gloves and be really frank here because I feel its really needed don’t want to upset you honestly I don’t.
Your developing an eating disorder, the fear of being sick and the pain it may and has caused you already is making you fearful of food.
You really have to overcome it now before it gets worse.
Fear is a really hard thing to overcome mentally your blocking yourself.
You can go 1 of 2 ways either go back to liquids and work forward again and maybe by the time your on food you will know your ok with the liquid you will actually swallow or you can start to try and conquer it now by swallowing 1 bite.
If you can’t do 2 that’s ok try next meal but work your way up and wait inbetween swallows pay attention to how your feeling if your feeling tight, restricted and any signs of pain just stop for 15mins relax.
Pre op I developed a fear of food due to my ibs the pain and bathroom results from just a few mouthfuls was hours worth so I ended up eating once a day and sometimes not at all I just couldn’t face it.
Post op I puked all the time and had extreme pain I had to go all the way back to broth stage and work forward again.
I still puke often now but I have a smaller sleeve I know that now so I don’t go by the average “should be this amount at this stage” guideline I go by me I can be chewing food and feel that tight feeling that wave of clammy ugh that washes over my body I stop dead and spit it out that’s my body saying DO NOT swallow that danger will robinson danger!!
Its ok not to eat as much as your told if you can’t you can add another small meal during the day to make up for it.
I was given 2 types of meal planning choices 3 meals and 2 Snacks a day plus shakes or 6 small meals a day no Snacks and shakes.< br />So breaking down the meal sizes and spreading them out throughout the day is fine as long as your not going over daily allowance of what you should be having.
Good luck honestly don’t let the fear overtake you.

This is a psychological issue. You need to go and see your psyche. They'll give CBT strategies to help you overcome it.

You have formed a very unhealthy habit which you perpetuate every time you spit out the food.

If there is no physical reason as to why you're not swallowing the food - you're just not, because of what's in your head, then it is a learned behaviour and an incredibly destructive one.

Get it sorted and quick.

Please get help. You can overcome this! Keep us updated.

I agree with sassy pants. Seek assistance. You can beat this. Good luck

No....I'm not offended at all! I've already discuss this with my Dr. I am having a UGI on Fri. I thought that was odd though, him saying things like leaking, etc. Being I am so far out....didn't know leaks were possible. But I guess anything is possible. I have been having problem with eating food since surgery, I get nauseous with popsicles :( I do good with Soup though, I just know that I am suppose to eat more by now. Hoping after the UGI I will know something definite.

My Dr. also said it could be due to the neuropathy that I have.......the nerve endings in my stomach. Anyway, I mention this because I was wondering if anyone else experience anything like this? No hard feelings....Hope it's not a eating disorder!! Geesh.....that would be another problem I would have to deal with!

Oh yeah...My NUT wasn't there Thursday when I seen the Dr. so that's when the schedule me to see her. I wish I could get in sooner!