Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you wear a Medical ID bracelet due to the Band?

My doctor's office gave me an order form for a medical ID Bracelet or necklace and suggested that I wear one from now on. It is supposed to read

"No NG tube w/o endoscope" and then have the Dr.s name and phone #...

I was interested to know if anybody else has one of these?

Also, has anyone been hassled by airport security? Do we need to keep a "prosthetics/implant id card" or whatever you call it with us for the damn TSA now?

I believe there is some stainless steel in the port connector piece, possibly the port of the VG band as well (yup, I have the big 10cc one), so I was wondering about that also.

Hi, I didn't know there was any steel/metal in the band. I have MS and have to have MRI scans and I have been cleared to do so based on there being no kind of metal in the band.

I have a medic alert card for the MS instead of a Bracelet which I personally prefer.

Susannah

My doctor's office gave me an order form for a medical ID Bracelet or necklace and suggested that I wear one from now on. It is supposed to read

"No NG tube w/o endoscope" and then have the Dr.s name and phone #...

I was interested to know if anybody else has one of these?

Also, has anyone been hassled by airport security? Do we need to keep a "prosthetics/implant id card" or whatever you call it with us for the damn TSA now?

I believe there is some stainless steel in the port connector piece, possibly the port of the VG band as well (yup, I have the big 10cc one), so I was wondering about that also.

I will do now. I have just order a medi tag from a company in the UK. Thanks for the heads up!

I don't have a tag, I guess my theory is if I ever needed a NG tube, I'd be in a life threatning situation and the band would be the least of my worries. Any input from our doctors on site?

I don't have a tag, I guess my theory is if I ever needed a NG tube, I'd be in a life threatning situation and the band would be the least of my worries. Any input from our doctors on site?

A nasogastric tube inserted without care with a lap band could result in the piercing of the stomach wall which would create a life threatening situation in itself. I'm not a doctor but I think for the sake of a few $$ a tag is worth it!

Hey Cascadian!

Congrats on being banded! I know it's been a long haul for you. I hope all is going well.

I haven't ordered the ID yet, but will. It could be a lifesaver.

Bruce

My doc gave me a card that states "this patient has a Lap Band implanted..." and he told me to keep it paperclipped to my insurance card in case I was not able to speak for myself. But in my mind I am thinking, who in the he@@ could even find anything in my purse?

Peace Out :hippie:

T~

I've got the big ol' VG as well and have successfully flown several times without incident. It did not set off any alarms through security.

Now, the topic of the medic alert thing has popped up a few times in the past...I never ordered one but I wonder if it isn't a bad idea. My doctor's office has never suggested it, but unless they needed to do something that would break my band while trying to save my life then by all means...bust it baby! But, if there was an opportunity to help protect it from any sort of damage in a non-life threatening situation then a card/bracelet (whatever) might come in handy!

I have a card paperclipped to my ID. It just states that I have a device implanted to assist in weight loss. Instead of a photo of me, it has a photo of the xray showing the band placement on it. It indicates that if I am in a car accident, the port site needs to be checked since it is in the bottom middle of my chest (right where the seatbelt crosses).

I have a medical alert ID Bracelet I wear. It has an 800# and my ID number. Personel can either access my medical issues, through a phone call or online. I have several drug allergies, some on going medical issues, as well as my band. I can update my medical info as I need too. It also allows me to enter what meds I am taking and who to contact. It is a basic medical alert bracelet--not real pretty to look at--but I do wear it the most of the time. It also has the wallet card, and not long after I got it (at the drugstore), and set up the account, they sent me a kit to fill out with all my info that is in a plastic sleeve, and is magnetized, to hang on the fridge, for emergency personel if they have to come to your home.

I have seen where some people are making pretty beaded bracelets, with the medic alert symbol still on them---might look into a prettier one sometime!!

My Uncle is a Dr., and he said the more info that a physician can get about you, if you are unable to provide it, the better off you are. Because even if your spouse is there, they are likely to be upset, and unable to remember the dosage of your meds---and all of that is important. Check with your Walgreens, or a local pharmacy.

Kat

Kat- This 800 number thingy, was it a free service? How do you sign up for it? Thanks!

I was set on getting one, but someone at OH who was an EMT said that there wasn't any reason for a banded person to get one. She said there was no chance that your stomach could be punctured by a NG tube because the tube was not stiff enough. I don't know what to think now. I may still get one just for my own reassurance.

I wear a Bracelet. My surgeon said that he wished all his patients would because of the danger of an NG piercing the stomach if it was not inserted properly. I had to have an NG tube placed a couple of days after surgery and my surgeon used a scope to place it.