Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All these complications...is it worth it?

So, I had the lapband years ago (and ended up having it removed...due to complications). I am considering the gastric sleeve now and have been reading the forums on this site. I am seeing some incredible success stories (congrats to you all)! But i'm also seeing some really concerning things and I think I'm more unsure than when I first came to this site. I am seeing complications like, MASSIVE Hair loss, Vitamin deficiencies, anemia, seizures, LOUD rumblings of the stomach, body dysmorphia (sp?)...the list goes on and on. So, I have to ask...is it worth it? Are you glad you did it? Do the benefits outweigh the risks? I would really love to have your input. What would you say to someone in my position? What advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for any input!

I'm almost a month out and have zero complaints. I've had no complications or issues.

I am a few weeks shy of a year. 30 pounds away from goal (down 110 pounds). I have not have major complications. Hair loss, sure but it has stopped and hair is growing back. I don't get sick and throw up all the time because I know when to stop eating. Overall I would say so far my benefits outweigh any negatives ten fold. The way I was, I probably wouldn't have lived ten more years!

I'm 3 months out and am among the few that had complications. I followed all the rules, chose an excellent surgeon, but had internal bleeding and a second surgery 5 days after being sleeved.

My first month post op I had regrets, given what I'd gone through. However, at 3 months out and 87 pounds lost, I'm really glad I did this and would do it again even with the second surgery.

I'm off 7 of 8 meds, diabetes cured, and last med will be eliminated in a month or two.

Yikes Andrew, that's so scary. I'm glad they caught the issue in time and glad to hear you're doing well now. It blows me away when I read stories like that and THEN read that the person is STILL glad they had the procedure!

There are always complications possible with every surgery - that's just something that comes along with it.
I had a few issues including heartburn, severe shoulder pain, Vitamin deficiencies, and hair loss. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

Heartburn - you can take medication for. Shoulder pain - goes away in time. Deficiencies - as long as you take your Vitamins, you're good to go. Hair loss - it grows back eventually.

More severe complications can and do happen - that's a definite reality - but know that those situations ARE rare and are NOT the norm.

A lot has to do with how well u take care of urself post-op.Drink only the amounts recommended by ur surgeon to prevent distention of ur pouch & create a bleed or leakage,don't stay in bed,sit up during day.Get plenty of rest @ night.Protein & Multivitamins will help with the hair situation too. The biggest thing I over looked was not realizing what a major part of head games we play with ourselves before & after surgery. I truly was naive enuf to think that I'd never be starving hungry again & that the pounds would melt right off.

7 Bites Jen..thank you! It's good to hear from a fellow Texan (much less someone who is just down the road...I'm near Frisco)! :)

Catnapper...so you still have a lot of issues with hunger? And yes, I did get the impression that the lbs melt off. I keep reading about 80 lb losses w in 3 months. But then I also see some people w 30 lb losses within 7 months. So...it seems to vary. So, that hasn't been your experience?

I am almost eight months and have had zero complications. My only issue has been my gallbladder. My dr said that is common with massive weight loss. Taking a handful of Vitamins is pretty basic with any bariatric as is some Hair loss while your body adjusts. My hair loss has been minimal. I have no regrets and would do it again tomorrow.

I was sleeved in August 2013 (7 months) with no serious complications. I have lost 98 lbs so far. I eat 60-90 grams of Protein a day and 64-90 oz of Water per day. I do get heartburn so I take a PPI (omeprazole) which is over the counter. I take gummy vitamins. I have Hair loss that is growing back.

Would I recommend this surgery to others? Yes, with the caveat of... do lots of research. No two results are the same as everyone is different. There are serious complications as with any surgery. For someone like me... this was the last resort. I have tried so many ways to lose the weight only to regain the weight. My health was deteriorating.

I do not regret this decision and consider it the best decision I have made in a long time. I am off all of my diabetes and most of my other medications. I am more active than I have been in the last 20+ years (not to mention smaller). I feel better, and happier than ever.

Good luck on your journey! :)

My experience was like Andrews above. I had internal bleeding, a clot, and a second surgery. I felt my surgeon was good.

The first month I was consumed with regret--very slow loss, nausea, etc. Now that I'm nearly 3 months out, I feel better about stuff. I have lost half my hair, but I've gone from a 14 to almost a 10. Despite the Hair loss, I already feel so much more confident.

It's a really personal decision--give yourself lots of time to decide.

I had a six month managed plan before surgery. I lost 42 pounds and felt very ready for surgery on December 23, 2013. The surgery went perfect and I did everything I was supposed to. I felt so good that I wondered if my stomach had actually been removed. Then I developed a blood clot that turned into a pulmonary embolism. I spent 2 weeks in the hospital and a week in intensive care. Thankfully, I have made a miraculous recovery.

Although I knew about the potential for blood clots I didn't expect the complication to happen to me. As far as we can tell, the surgeon, the hospital and me did everything right. It just happened. And some of the other effects that people talk about just happen. Not to everyone but to some of us. I think you have to decide if it is a risk that you want to take.

For me it was worth it. 9 weeks after surgery I have lost 51 pounds and I am 93 pounds lower than my start weight. No more blood pressure pills and my back has not felt this good in a long time. Plus I have changed habits that should add years to my life.

For me changing the status quo was worth the adventure!

Absolutely, definitely I am glad I got the sleeve. It was EXACTLY what I needed. I have not had complications, I did not have hair loss.

The body dysmorphia people may get is due to rapid weight losss, not due specifically to the sleeve....

It is good that you are thoroughly researching. Everyone has a different experience. It is indeed a major surgery and therefore, unfortunately, there are risks. It is up to you, personally, to evaluate - for you - whether the risks are worth the benefits. For me it was.

I went through so much and still am going through a lot 15 months after my sleeve surgery. I had everything that can happen except die..And there was a huge chance that was going to happen...So would I do it again?!!!!!!!!!!!

YES I would so fast it would make your head spin. I have lost over 180 lbs and feel a lot better even with what I am battling with now. I can now clean my own house, walk all I want. I am back cooking again and I can even touch my toes. I go where I want and sit where I want and no one is looking at me or making fun of me anymore.

I can hug my grand daughter tight to me and she has to tell me to let her go because i want to keep her next to my heart all the time. I wear clothes from a regular store and no sleep apnea, Migraines are limited. No stomach meds and no blood pressure pills....i could go on and on.......................................For me I was dead before I had surgery...the fact that I survived...makes it so I can have a second chance to finally live...........And I am..I am not saying it is a piece of cake that would be a lie...but for the most part it is the best decision I ever made....And i almost paid with my life for it!!!! no regrets here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

i had the sleeve done on October14th. I had a minor bleed after surgery that landed me back in the hospital for a couple extra days but all turned out fine. The first month was not fun. I didn't feel good and it was harder than I expected to get a handle on eating or not eating. Today I can say I have no regrets. My hairloss is minimal so far. I have energy like I never had before. My bladder dysfunction has corrected itself. My asthma has gone away. I no longer have itchy rashes in my folds because my folds are gone. My upper back pain from large heavy breasts is no more. I can cross my legs. I can shop in regular stores. I don't get dizzy when I bend over. The Water retention in my ankles is gone. My list can go on and on.

It's a big decision and it can be a scary step, but for me it was all worth it. Good luck to you.