Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, after 12 months of dealing with insurance requirements, I had an appointment with the surgeon yesterday. I never really chose a surgeon, they kinda just stuck me with one. Last year, I had an appt with his nurse practitioner and she went over the band and everything, so there was no surprise what surgery I was choosing.

When the surgeon came in, he made me feel so bad about my decision to get the lap-band that I was actually second guessing my choice and thinking I should maybe get the sleeve. I get that lap-band statistics aren't as strong as bypass and sleeve, but he was being so ridiculous. He said my BMI was WAY too high to get the band, way higher than his 45 BMI cut-off.. (i'm 7 lbs away from 44.9) so he was being very dramatic. Finally after his lecture of how I wouldn't be successful with the band, he refused to continue to be my surgeon and told me see the other surgeon at his office and see if he might give me the band. So, I left the office a wreck and crying and had to come back in 2 hours to meet with the other surgeon.

Luckily, that surgeon told me he thinks I'd be a great candidate for the band because I'm young and have a lot of motivation. So, within the next 2 weeks, I should be hearing about surgery date! Hopefully i'll be a March bander!!! I hate that the original surgeon made me doubt something I've been SO SURE of for the last 12 months. I knew I didn't want the evasive sleeve, and I really think the band will be the best thing for me. So, even though the day started out rocky, I ended up with a much better surgeon, that actually believes in me. So happy.

I'm so sorry to hear that. My entire hospital stay I was treated with more respect by nurses and CNAs than I was by my docotor. The problem was really my doctors assistant. I had complications with my sleeve that landed me in the hospital a second time. I was having trouble keeping liquids down and was really dehydrated. After a swallow test they determined that liquid was getting stuck in my esophagus. I was in the hospital for a few days then sent home with a PICC line in my arm to have at home intervenous nutrition. I was really unhappy about this. My PICC line was causing me a lot of pain and after one treatment both of the lines were clogged.

My next appointment was with his assistant who insisted NOTHING was wrong with my PICC line. She didn't even touch it or try to flush the lines. She said to me "I have a plan- how about we put a feeding tube down your nose until you can prove to me that you can eat or drink-you can handle that right? Cause you're strong" in the MOST demeaning tone I have ever heard in my life. LIke I was choosing not to drink anything. She blamed everything on my anxiety. She told me my home health nurse might have said something was wrong with my PICC Line but shes wrong and nothing is wrong with it. She insisted that I couldn't feel it and it was all in my head. WheN I told her that I was frustrated and didn't think things were being explained to me very well she flipped her computer screen around with alll the attitude she could and went through each of my medications like she was speaking to a child. SHe prescribed me anxiety meds (which I"m am not taking) and said "Lets face it..you've had anxiety since day 1. Like thats a crime. I left my appointment in tears and when the front desk tried to reschedule me next week with her I told them I refused to see her again and if I was coming back it would be to meet with the doctor. Who I'm not entirely sure will be much nicer. Everyone was so great until I didn't heal correctly from my surgery then they treated me like absolute crap. My next appointment I am going to bring someone with me and if I get talked down to again I will walk out and find another doctor. I just couldn't believe it. I'm so disappointed in my experience post op. I dont understand where it makes them feel good to treat people like that.

I love doctors like that because after you lose your weight you can send him a picture and tell him to eat his own words now. Stupid ass doctors. If they are so much in love with the sleeve or by pass then they should have their own office and only see patients who want those surgeries.

Wow! Both of you have been through a terrible ordeal. I went to my post op a few weeks back and met with the surgeon for the first time. He seemed like a jerk. He talked for ever about how I'd never be the skinny girl on the beach in a bikini! I told him that I'm 56 year old women and wearing bikini is not one of my goals. He talked a lot about extreme dieting that made no sense. After I left, I canceled my surgery and am now looking for a new surgeon. I feel much better about changing my mind after reading about both of your situations.

everyone has a a*sshole but that dr must have two

sorry he made you feel that way....use his BS to prove him wrong...

my BMI was 62 at surgery...

best of luck :)

You poor thing! I'm glad you got another doc if this one was so unwilling to work with you. Unfortunately many surgeons are total a-holes. But sometimes the nicest doc can be a really crappy surgeon. I'm sure everything will turn out fine for you. I'm glad you're not letting them deter you from your goal.

Plz tell me it wasnt a doc from greenville sc

no haha richmond va

You two have certainly been throughout it. Please don't let this stop you in reaching your goal of living a more healthy lifestyle.

Wow! I'm afraid I would have walked or and never went back. Life is too short to put up with that. :-/ I have only met with my surgeon once, but he was very nice and respectful. His nurse has been awesome and she was his 1st lapband patient years ago. But I knew all of this going in because he did a family members surgery.

How awful that both of you were treated so badly. No patient should have to experience rudeness and disrespect from a doctor or staff in any medical situation.

I hope you both find better support and continue on your journey to health.

thanks for all the kind words, guys! I def think the second surgeon I met with will be a perfect fit. I felt so much more comfortable with him in only the first few seconds of meeting him, so I know it'll be great. cannot WAITTTT to get this surgery scheduled tho! its like the light at the end of the 13 month tunnel is finally in sight!

no haha richmond va

Was it by any chance Dr. Schroeder at Short Pump?

it was actually Dr. Bautista at St Marys. I'm now working with Dr Carmody (sp?)

no haha richmond va

Was it by any chance Dr. Schroeder at Short Pump?

Edited by betty_s

it was actually Dr. Bautista at St Marys. I'm not working with Dr Carmody (sp?)

Dr. Carmody is my doctor too. I switched to him when I found out my original dr. hadn't sewn my port down completely. Dr. C did my port revision and his NP does my fills. Her name is Maya Paige...she is wonderful! Good luck with your upcoming surgery!!