Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Long and Winding Road

I used to post regularly on LapBandTalk. I've been reading, but not posting here for a few weeks and feel ready now to dive back in with both feet.

Some Background...

My highest weight was 297. I was 265 or so at the time of my surgery (six years ago - or was it five?). I lost down to 180 and felt so good. So good.

Changes in my life started happening (mostly good things!) and I turned to my old best friend - food. I stopped paying attention to myself and what was going on with my body and I (of course) regained.

I made it up to 240 pounds, and then lost a bit. Gained a bit. Lost a bit. You know how it is.

Part of the issue was that I couldn't get a good fill. Too much out and I was hungry - too much in and I couldn't drink Water and had night coughs. Annnnd...my doctor had one of the strictest post-surgical (ongoing weight loss) diets I've seen - 600-800 calories per day. My conclusion was that the band was not working for me. I gave up. Plain and simple.

Digressing for a moment - I am darn lucky that the band was actually working and that I didn't regain every single pound I'd ever lost and then some. Darn lucky.

I moved across the country three years ago and haven't been seen by a weight loss surgery professional since then. I felt defeated in terms of the band and I was just plain tired of trying. Worn. Out.

Reality Set In...

I was bobbling around 230 pounds for months and realized that something needed to change. A friend of mine had sleeve surgery, so I started researching. Maybe the sleeve was the answer for me.

As part of my research, I stumbled upon drsimpson.net and devoured all of the information there very quickly. There are things on his site that made me say, "Yes! THAT!!! That's me!!!" Clear liquids for a week and I've been on full liquids for two weeks. I'm measuring everything. I'm walking again. And, surprise!, I'm losing weight. And (bigger surprise!) I'm not hungry.

So..why post now? A couple of reasons: 1) I need support and I know that I can ask for and receive it here, and 2) I want others to know that just because you've stopped following your plan and just because you've regained that doesn't mean you can't start over from where you are right now. You don't need to do what I did and start over - come up with a plan that you think will work for you and then follow that plan or have a new plan.

Oh, and thank you. There's so much good going on here.

xo

What an awesome story of determination!!! I'm thankful you shared your story! I think this shows how extremely strong you are! it takes ALOT to say you went off course but it takes alot more to dust yourself off and get right back at it!!! Now look at you, you're doing great and well on your way to accomplishing your goals, long, short whatever they are!!! Congrats to you, I have no doubt you you'll be sucessful, you already are in more ways than one!!!!

Edited by enjoythetime

Very inspiring! Good for you, getting back into the swing of things!

I think for many many years the sales pitch for the band was it was going to limit how much food we could eat or it would take away that craving and most of that was just not true.

From what I've learned from my own experience and from others here on this forum, the band will only dim or assuage our hunger. And like our friend Jack has said, it's like a songbird in a forest, if you don't listen for it, it might just pass you by(paraphrasing).

I know now that no brick will hit me in the head and say stop eating dumbass, I really really need to pay attention. It's my opinion that many people don't reach their goal or find a level of success with the band simply because this signal is so subtle for those of us that only stopped when the fat lady was so full she couldn't sing, it was easily missed. jmo

Anyway, my rant is over and welcome back and keep us posted.

tmf

Edited by 2muchfun

Thank you all.

And, yes...I fully believed that as long as I didn't eat slider foods, the and would limit the quantity I could eat. In some ways that is tyre, but I never heard anything about dimmed hunger or watching for signals - even though in retrospect, I know I was having, and ignoring, the subtle signs that I'd had enough.

I'm so glad I started looking around again and am now back on track.

xox

Thank you for sharing your story! I'm so glad you've started over and got back to basics, which I myself have done several times. Stay strong and committed...you can do this!

Thanks for the words of encouragement i've been off track myself I had knee replacement and my vessel got cut during my replacement and that sat me back a whole lot no exercise just eating.I've been band 4 years this year I haven't lost much at all headed back to doctor this week to start all over again I really need a buddy?

Help!!!!!

Way to go!!!!! Congratulations on starting over.

Thanks for the words of encouragement i've been off track myself I had knee replacement and my vessel got cut during my replacement and that sat me back a whole lot no exercise just eating.I've been band 4 years this year I haven't lost much at all headed back to doctor this week to start all over again I really need a buddy?

Help!!!!!

Sorry to hear that. Praying things will work out for you. Best wishes.

I used to post regularly on LapBandTalk. I've been reading, but not posting here for a few weeks and feel ready now to dive back in with both feet.

Some Background...

My highest weight was 297. I was 265 or so at the time of my surgery (six years ago - or was it five?). I lost down to 180 and felt so good. So good.

Changes in my life started happening (mostly good things!) and I turned to my old best friend - food. I stopped paying attention to myself and what was going on with my body and I (of course) regained.

I made it up to 240 pounds, and then lost a bit. Gained a bit. Lost a bit. You know how it is.

Part of the issue was that I couldn't get a good fill. Too much out and I was hungry - too much in and I couldn't drink Water and had night coughs. Annnnd...my doctor had one of the strictest post-surgical (ongoing weight loss) diets I've seen - 600-800 calories per day. My conclusion was that the band was not working for me. I gave up. Plain and simple.

Digressing for a moment - I am darn lucky that the band was actually working and that I didn't regain every single pound I'd ever lost and then some. Darn lucky.

I moved across the country three years ago and haven't been seen by a weight loss surgery professional since then. I felt defeated in terms of the band and I was just plain tired of trying. Worn. Out.

Reality Set In...

I was bobbling around 230 pounds for months and realized that something needed to change. A friend of mine had sleeve surgery, so I started researching. Maybe the sleeve was the answer for me.

As part of my research, I stumbled upon drsimpson.net and devoured all of the information there very quickly. There are things on his site that made me say, "Yes! THAT!!! That's me!!!" This link in particular.

While the basics of the lap band have stayed the same over the years, it looks like there is a greater understanding of some things - or maybe I am understanding things differently - I'm not sure it matters. I'm back. I'm motivated.

Today...

Right now, I weigh 209. I'm not setting any long-term goals for myself - those feel like thinking too far ahead. Instead, I have a short-term goal of making it to 203 - that seems doable.

I am back to basics. I decided to start eating as if I just had surgery and basically start over with my new knowledge and motivation.

I did Clear Liquids for a week and I've been on full liquids for two weeks. I'm measuring everything. I'm walking again. And, surprise!, I'm losing weight. And (bigger surprise!) I'm not hungry.

So..why post now? A couple of reasons: 1) I need support and I know that I can ask for and receive it here, and 2) I want others to know that just because you've stopped following your plan and just because you've regained that doesn't mean you can't start over from where you are right now. You don't need to do what I did and start over - come up with a plan that you think will work for you and then follow that plan or have a new plan.

Oh, and thank you. There's so much good going on here.

xo

Thanks so much for this post. I lost my way years ago, and have had such a hard time finding it. I know that starting at the basics makes sense but for some reason I didn't want to. Well, I don't think I have a choice right now. I started at 305, in 2008 and I'm about 287 now. Something has got to change. I know what I need to do. So its time to make it happen.

I am going to schedule a fill, but while I wait I am planning to start my full liquids Monday. I pray this works to tighten my band and get my weight down for good.

The first couple of days of all liquids was a challenge - after that, there have been challenging moments, but overall this has been a terrific thing for me.

I've lost weight, I'm exercising, and I'm feeling better about the world, life, and everything.

The first couple of days of all liquids was a challenge - after that, there have been challenging moments, but overall this has been a terrific thing for me.

I've lost weight, I'm exercising, and I'm feeling better about the world, life, and everything.

So are you comfortable exercising on full liquids? I know its a mind thing. I will make this happened. I did this before. I know I can do it.

Yes, it hasn't been an issue. Here's my usual schedule....

Morning Walk

Protein for Breakfast

Protein for lunch

Soup or Protein for dinner (usually soup)

Evening Walk (not every day)

Water in between.

The only time I felt really tired was in the beginning - I had a business trip and wasn't able to get in all of my protein or Water. By the time I got home, my @$$ was dragging. Perked right up when I got back.

If you don't feel like you can "rip off the band-aid" and do it all at once, start with a shake in the morning. Or start by walking. Do something small that will help you get your head in the right place to do something big.

I immediately started feeling better.

Well my plan is to do the Protein. I will also add some spinach or kale to it. I have to find a way to stick to this. The last time I tried, I let life take control. I know stress is no reason for bad eating, and I have used up all my excuse life lines. I have to loose some serious weight before I got to the excuses again. I am planning to get all my veggies and things, because its got to go down. I will probably have a very small meal for dinner, mostly fish or chicken, and greek yogurt before hitting the gym. I have to do some cardio. My weight has truly gotten out of control, and I need to focus to get back on track.

We have similar stories. I started at 267 lost 47 pounds then moved and had no Lapband ANYTHING for years. I am currently in the "Qwest for Green" zone predicament since an unfill. But I have been upping Protein and cutting carbs AND am getting another fill in a couple of days and have had about 12 pounds lost so far on my own......Grrrr, I really want the band to start working for me again....but I know what it feels like to take matters into your own hands as well as saying F* it. Stay strong and keep it up!