Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

And I lol'd at the heathen part...you, too, have a way with words. Freebird(s). :)

Hello, thank you for writing about your experience. I am awaiting a revision from band to bypass. I am scheduled for the end April as long as it's approved. The sleeve was already approved but the doc recommended bypass cause we discovered I have Barrett's esophagus and bypass is the better choice since the sleeve can make it worse. I am getting more scared by the day. Scared I won't lose much weight and it's such a big surgery. I am also positive in thinking a lot of things I already don't eat, Pasta, bread, sweets. The real big disappointment was not getting the sleeve & scared the bypass won't work. :)

tebowfan, I understand your worries. I truly feel like your doctor will know just the right procedure for you. And, from what I have read and researched, your chances are better for more weight loss with bypass than the sleeve. I know everyone is different, but statistically that is what is shown. I hope you have an approval answer very soon!

Hi everyone! I have been meaning to update, but haven't made time to sit down and do it it. I guess it is a good sign that I have been busy, huh? Today I am a little more than 5 weeks post-op, and there are times now that I forget I even had bypass surgery. Physically I feel almost normal. My only physical complaint would be headaches. I try every day to drink as much Water as I can, but I know I need to do more. I have a big Water jug that I try to drink 2 of every day, but don't seem to make it. I find myself so concerned about not drinking for 30 minutes after I eat, then before I know it two hours have passed!! I am able to take bigger sips lately, so that is helping.

I am taking the following vitamins; 2 multi, 1 Calcium, 1 Iron, 1 B12, 1 Biotin. All chewable except the Biotin which I dissolve in water at bedtime. The Vitamin regimen is a bit tedious, but I know how important it is to get it all in. I will add an Omega 3 at some point soon. Haven't had to take any laxatives or Milk of Magnesia except for once about two weeks post-op.

I also still struggle with low energy, although that is getting better. I cleaned out part of my garage today and repotted a large plant, and still felt good afterwards. I have been walking some, but need to make it a regular part of my weekly routine. My doc said he didn't want me doing any weights for the first year, which surprised me. He said the focus should just be on burning as many calories as possible so lots of cardio. I can already feel my arms getting flabbier, so I might do some resistance work on my arms to keep from flying away!!

I am down 35 pounds, and all of my clothes are loose. I could definitely stand to buy the next size down of jeans, but since the weather is warming up, I get to enjoy getting into capris and shorts that haven't fit in awhile. Such a nice feeling to just be comfortable in my own clothes. My mom says she really notices that my face is thinning out.

I am slowly trying new soft foods, and (knock on wood) have not had a single problem with being sick or anything getting "stuck". I am so aware of ingredients now, and because of that have not experienced dumping either. I do have, on occasion, a slightly nauseated feeling after I eat. It is nothing serious, but makes me wonder if it is a lactose sensitivity. I know this is possibe after surgery, so I'm just keeping my eye on it. Foods I eat at this stage are fried eggs, tuna salad, egg salad, crunchy crackers with hummus, sliced cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken fajita meat, Pasta with sauce, and all of my pureed friends like mashed potatoes and applesauce. Today I also ate a Protein bar, and it is the most "solid" thing I have had yet. So far so good, and I ate it this morning. I'm taking it very slow through the food progressions.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

@@Tgarden

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm preop and I have a big vacation scheduled about 8 weeks out after surgery, so I'm happy to hear a story from someone feeling so good at 5 weeks. Don't want to feel horrible on vacation! :)

My son used to have severe Migraines and the neurologist thought it might be from dehydration. He started drinking Water all the time and now, seldom is without a bottle and he never has the headaches anymore. I know you said you're trying to drink a lot but maybe you need some of the calorie free sports drinks like G2 -- maybe your electrolytes are out of balance.

Best wishes as you go along...

Thanks for that suggestion! I stopped and got some G2 this evening. Hope it helps with these headaches.

TGarden...thanks so much for posting all of that valuable information. That really h helps a lot. I'm just starting but it answers a lot of questions.

I'm so glad it helps you, dcostella! It is quite a journey, and this board has some great insight to the whole process. Keep looking around and asking questions. There are a lot of helpful people on here!

And Ginger Snaps, the G2 helped quite a lot! I need to restock.

@Tgarden So glad it worked for you! I don't suffer from headaches much but my little guy did (8th grade at the time) and it was so miserable for him. Thankfully his was "cured" with Water.

If I have post-op headaches, I'll try to remember my own advice! lol

ginger

Oh, the dreaded plateau has hit!!! I'm not worried, since I know it is normal and will pass, but it is still a bummer when it happens. I am 6 1/2 weeks post-op, and standing still on weight loss. I've lost 30 pounds, which is amazing, and I only weigh myself about once every two weeks or so. So, those of you newly post-op, or those of you getting close to your surgery dates, do not be surprised when a plateau hits. Don't get discouraged, and keep following drs orders. I'm going to try to take my own advice, and hopefully next time I weigh in two weeks I will be pleasantly surprised!!

Blessings to you all, and have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!!

In two weeks, when you weigh yourself again, you will see progress. And between that time, you might even feel progress. I stall every month for about 10 days. Last month's stall was crushed with an 8lb loss the next week...it's strange how our bodies do that, but I came to expect it too. And I also get the concerns as, if you're anything like me, you begin to think "ut-oh...is this all I might lose...did that morsel of necessity damage my gusto". haha.

I should be over my bloated week and am interested to see what changes the week will bring. In the past two days, the scale has been altering between 225-228lbs depending on the time of day. It's interesting.

Love your updates. I am glad your headaches are better. I also bought a couple bottles of G2, and loved the one I tasted. After having passed out a couple weeks ago, I got the tip here in your thread as I never thought about electrolytes. I know I drink a ton of Water but, ya know.

Howdy everyone! I am a RNY'er. I had my surgery Dec 16, 2013. I have lost to date 79#. I have come to learn my cycles. Constipated, yet gassy = no phycial loss. However, what I have come to realize is, that in this time frame - I am losing inches!! So when you are at a stall - please do not get discouraged! Our tool is working! Then I will hit my next cycle, and I am able to go 'POTTY' and then watch the scale move. HAPPY TIMES!! I have learned when the scale is my friend and when its my enemy. When it is the latter of the two, I don't go near it, as it really messes with my head.

I am one of the lucky ones. I have never dumped. I can eat anything I want - less excess of 15 g sugar in one sitting (anything more makes me queazy). I do though, stay away from carbs. No bread, Pasta, rice. Not to say - I will have "A" bite of something. I feel that if you do not allow yourself any of these things, you may be setting yourself up for destruction down the road.

weight.png

Looking forward to following everyones transformations!

Awesome thread very close to my story! So happy you are doing well! I just was revised from band to bypass may 21. Already down 16!!! I've been a lucky one no real pain and haven't had pain meds since may 22. Sore yes pain no. I threw up day of surgery but no nausea since.. Glad to see you are doing so well!!! Keep posting! ❤️

Tgarden how are you I am doing great i am 1 week and 1 day post opt and I am doing well , today i was able to get down 30 grams of Protein since the day of surgery, BM are going great and have return and I feel fantasic.

Congrats on your surgery I had the band removed and the sleeve done on May 6th I had great results with the band for the first yr and a half I went from 260 to 170 then I got the flu threw up for days ended up with a prolapse had to be unfilled well long story short ended up with 2 more prolapse and up too 235 current weight is 211 w/o clothes lol