Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I do not want anyone to think that I am not taking this seriously because I by far am SO SERIOUS!!!

With that said, I want to know if you think it will cause any issues if I go out to Celebrate my birthday tomorrow? The instructions I recieved at scheduling was midnight the night before to fast and I could have my bariatric shake the morning of surgery but only mixed with Water. My current pre-op diet consist of salad plate sized meals with 1/4 Protein, 1/4 carb, & 1/2 fresh/frozen fruits/veggies, and one Meal Replacement shake. Standardly I have my shake for Breakfast, no lunch, and a carbless dinner. Just my choice.

If I go out tonight and have a few drinks and mexican food, is it going to kill everything I have been working towards?

My surgery is scheduled for Monday 3/3 11:50a

No judgement here. :)

You have the instructions from your surgeon but, if you go out and have drinks (I'm guessing alcohol) and Mexican food will that throw you off track mentally?

Good question. I can confidently say no. I only decided to Celebrate about 4hrs ago. It dawned on me that this is the last b-day that the old me would have and because I love her I felt she deserved a good send off. However, I don't love her enough to keep her around. While she is a good person with a loving heart, she wasn't always the best person to herself. It's time for her to go!

Well, it seems like you have made up your mind already. :)

I would say...don't send "her" off with squat...she's had a good run (right???)!!!! Celebrate the new you one year from now!!! :D

Thank you for your candor. I think you are right. She is just trying to hold on cause she is on borrowed time at this point.

You're welcome and have a Happy Birthday!!!! :)

Booz is a no way why take chance.

I would limit myself a bit, at least... like only one alcoholic beverage (wasted calories and carbs!!!) and then switch to Water... and no chips with salsa ... just the meal... you want to Celebrate, but don't think this is your last hurrah, you just have to be careful and consider what you are putting in to your mouth... if you had a pre-op diet and your liver is not small enough, the Dr will not operate, or will give you a full gastric instead of just a sleeve... so you want to be careful. Mexican food has a lot of salt, so that can also bloat you...and we all know alcohol goes right to the liver...you may want to check with your doctor, they may have menu selections for you... or steer you in the right direction... remember we can have fun without stuffing our faces :)

That being said...enjoy ;)

Edited by BigGirlPanties

R u sure u can drink a shake the day of surgery .? Why fast the night before if u can have a shake that morning. I would call the dr to make sure. They will ask you if u had anything to drink or eat that a.m. I def was told no liquid or solids the day of surgery. Just check to make sure. Don't want doc to say you can't have surgery .on your scheduled surgery day.

No judgement here! I had 2 family birthdays during my preop diet, as well as my mom's birthday on the day of surgery.

But.....I stayed on the straight and narrow during my preop diet phase, because it wasn't a "diet"....it was Preparing For a Surgery. The whole point of doing the preop diet is to shrink your liver & make it more pliable so that the surgeon can manipulate it easier to get to the stomach. When you think of it that way, is it worth a couple of drinks and some mexican food? This was a surgery. On my stomach. It's serious business. I wanted to give myself every single possible chance of a complication free surgery and recovery.

You will have a birthday every year, and you can enjoy drinks and mexican food again in the future, I promise.

R u sure u can drink a shake the day of surgery .? Why fast the night before if u can have a shake that morning. I would call the dr to make sure. They will ask you if u had anything to drink or eat that a.m. I def was told no liquid or solids the day of surgery. Just check to make sure. Don't want doc to say you can't have surgery .on your scheduled surgery day.

Carlotta I was totally thinking that too! Why would you have to fast the night before and be allowed a shake in the morning?? I would be bummed if I showed up for my surgery and it did not happen because of a miscommunication.

Oh and I forgot to say:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

:D

I ask the same question and was told as long as it was mixed with only with Water. It doesn't matter anyway. Id already decided I wasn't eating prior to.

Absolutely not. Have at it. As long as you're not getting smashed out of your mind (because alcohol dehydrates and can take a while to work out of your system) and its just a feed of mexican food (hopefully the balanced good stuff), it will not throw your pre-op diet off.

I was reliably informed by my bariatric nurse, the pre-op diet is to stop those who are chuffing down multiple bottles of booze and eating fried everything daily.

A week before surgery I went out on the lash (drinking) with some gusto about 7 days before surgery. The night before surgery I had pizza, chicken tenders and a coke. I was given permission to do so..

That being said, however, i was a relatively low BMI starter, so the liver shrinking wasn't such a pressing issue for me. Whats your BMI right now? If my BMI was very high, I might not consider having the alcohol and just have the dinner.

If you moderate your intake, so you're not a total glutton (maybe max 4 drinks, with Water in between and some food), it should be all good by Monday. Just be mindful as previously stated; it might mess with your head a bit after you get sleeved. I definitely mourned what I could no longer have in the short term.

But then in saying that, this could be seen as a little food funeral (and EVERYONE, has had some form of that).

I say go for it.

In three days your world is going to change. Dramatically.

Enjoy ;)

Perhaps you answered your own question?

, she wasn't always the best person to herself. It's time for her to go!