Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Highlights and waiting post sleeve

I'm 4 mos post sleeve and my hair is definitely still falling out. I've read not to bleach it but rather to color it. I'm afraid if I do anything to it, its going to make the thinning more obvious but I have tons of gray hair around the front of my face and need to do something. Any suggestions? How long did everyone wait before highlights?

My dr and nut told us in our pre op class yesterday to wait 6 months before dying our hair. To use gentle Shampoo like baby shampoo and to not use heat on our hair( straightening, blow drying) and to stay away from products with chemicals. He straight up told us Biotin would not help, he said we are not deficient on it, we are not mal nourished, it's from quick weight loss and stress from major surgery. He said the only way to prevent it is to not have rapid weight loss or surgery, and if we enjoy our hair, don't color it for 6 months lol.

Seriously?? I have an appt tomorrow to get color on my gray. Im scared now!

So glad I read this! I didn't even know that! I have lapband but I still had surgery & it's probably the same ;)

Edited by jamilyne 102668

Try the root touch up kits, you can get at supermarket/drug store. Match to your base color.

It comes with a little brush, and you just use the color along your part and the front of your hairline around your face (only what is showing).

It's really easy and takes about 20 mins start to finish, you can do it before you get in the shower for the day.

Edited by woo woo

No color for 6 months?!?!?!?!?!? Is that only for RNY patients? My boss has RNY a year ago and her hair is not looking good.

I have already colored my hair and I'm almost 3 months out. If you're going to color Branmuffin make sure you condition your hair well. I'd suggest a "hard" Protein treatment 2 weeks after...like an Aphogee treatment followed with a good moisturizer. Ask your stylist about it.

You can do whatever you want to your hair. If you're going to lose some, then you're going to lose some and it doesn't matter what you do. It's not a Vitamin issue, nor even a weightloss issue. It's surgery and the anesthesia. It will come back as long as you keep you're Protein and Vitamins up. Losing our hair isn't related to our weightloss, but growing it back is related to how healthy we keep ourselves in the process.

Well I talked to my hair stylist who's been doing hair over 20 years and she said go for it with the color so I did. I didn't do highlights or any bleach because it's breaking so bad right now but the color looks tons better and I feel lots better with my grays covered.

Good for you Branmuffin! :)

I'm 4 mos post sleeve and my hair is definitely still falling out. I've read not to bleach it but rather to color it. I'm afraid if I do anything to it, its going to make the thinning more obvious but I have tons of gray hair around the front of my face and need to do something. Any suggestions? How long did everyone wait before highlights?

Mine fell out til six month but slowing down now so be patient.

Well I talked to my hair stylist who's been doing hair over 20 years and she said go for it with the color so I did. I didn't do highlights or any bleach because it's breaking so bad right now but the color looks tons better and I feel lots better with my grays covered.

Try some Mane &Tail Shampoo & conditioner deal Mart in pet section works wonderful & strengthens hair

I'm a hairdresser and get sleeved on May 6 th .. My biggest fear is loosing my hair but I have been taking Biotin 10,000 I will have to stop before surgery then start back up in my 4 th month ... Nioxin is for thinning and fine hair and it does work but for coloring I would start with a semi or Demi permeant color it's low peroxide and it will cover greys... I know I will make sure color mine just before surgery and will give it a couple months break .. If anyone needs any questions answered let me know just private message me and good luck with the hair :)

Glad you got your hair done. It definitely makes one feel better. I've had my hair highlighted twice since surgery and I'm only 3 months out. My hair dresser had the surgery herself two years ago, so she knows does and donts. We did do low lights with highlights this last time to lessen the amount of bleach.

Has anyone checked out human hair wigs?? I never had thick hair to begin with.

I've been looking at wigsbuy.com -

Tons of options and finally I might even be able to have a little longer & thicker hair!!