Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about slow loss

I am new to this site, but I am getting really stressed out because I am not losing very much weight at all post surgery. I had my sleeve surgery on 2/4/14 and since then I am only down 17 lbs... I am not eating anything that I am not supposed to (just soft Protein still) and following my dr's orders to a tee and I am still barely losing any weight. Frustrated....

Maybe is I add this info it will help. In November When I started this journey I was 298 at my first consultation. On my surgery date (2/4/14) I was 267, and today, I was 250.

Sounds like you are doing great. I was down about the same. I'm 3 months now and down 40. Doesn't happen overnight. "Slower" loss is kinder to your skin anyway.

I was sleeved 2/6 and I'm down 15 since then. I think you are doing great and i don't see it as slow at all.

you sound like your doing everything right, you don't want to try to hard, you still have to consume calories to loose pounds/inches. stick with your diet you will get to your goal in no time.

I had surgery Feb 4 also and I am down 17 lbs also.

Maybe not the fastest loss, but a loss none the less.

Hope you feel better knowing you are not the only one!

W

thank you Guys, I do feel better. Everyone else that I see has lost 20, 30, even 40 lbs that first month, and I was feeling very stuck. Thanks for the support!

I just went back and looked. 3 weeks after surgery I too was down 17lbs. I lost 123lbs in 10 months to reach goal. So, 17 looks good to me!

17 pounds in 23 days sounds pretty darn good to me. I lost 19 in my first full month.

My biggest and only real disappointment with this surgery is that my expectations for quick weight loss were not met. I should have managed that expectation better. I am a slow loser, comparatively speaking. And it's frustrating. But this is a done deal - irreversible. So I plod along and wait for the scale to move. And it always does.....eventually. Hang in there.

I was sleeved the 5th and I'm down 15 as well. Average weightloss is 1-2 pounds a week, and you're over that easily so that's a good thing! It'll come off, it just takes time. Wait until you're cleared to start working out, it'll really start coming off then. :)

I've ONLY lost 53 pounds since my surgery on 8/5/13. That's a total of 86 since early June and almost 8 pants sizes.... I am thrilled to no end! I am a slow loser and am embracing it!. I think we get into trouble because we continually compare our journey and weight loss to someone else. We can't do that. I am thrilled for those folks who lose 20, 30 and more pounds a month. It's just not the norm. Many more of us don't lose anything close to that on a regular basis. Do YOU!!! When I went for my 3 month check up my PA told me the following:

1. Do not concentrate only on pounds lost.
2. They expect that I'll have an average of 0-2 pounds lost per week.

3. If you find yourself obsessing over the numbers, quit weighing and recording completely.
4. Look to other things to measure your success.
a. How are your feeling?
b. Have you lost inches?
c. Are you more mobile?
d. Are you able to do things that you couldn't before the surgery?
e. How is your health improving?
5. We generally estimate the weight loss journey to take 2 years. You are still a newbie.
6. Know that the only person that you have to please and who has to be happy with your level of success is YOU!

I think you've done great!

I was sleeved on 2/7. I've lost 31 lbs from high weight, 18 from preop.

My surgeon's goal is 10 lbs per month. Which doesn't sound like a lot, until you multiply it by 10 months. That's 100 lbs!!!

I began my pre-op diet on Nov. 11th 2013 and I weighed 297 pounds. As of today I am 257 pounds. That's a 40 pound weight loss. I feel like I am losing slow, however, my doctor is pleased with my progress so far. I have also heard it is better for your skin.