Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any recommendations for pureed food in the initial period?

Really sorry if this question has been posted and answered a few times as I cannot seem to locate the appropriate threads when i searched by "puree" and "pureed diet".

I am 22 days post operation and was supposed to transit to pureed food yesterday.

So far, my liquid diet mainly consisted of clear Soup, milo, milk and soy milk. I had no problems and could finish a 300ml cup in approximately 1/2 hour if I am fast.

However, when I tried banana soy milk blend today, I was having difficulty swallowing the drink. I finished the drink eventually and had gone on to puree the chicken breast for my lunch. However, one look at it and I knew that I am not going to tolerate it well. Hence, in place of it, I am now drinking GNC lean shake 25. I find it rather chalky and a bit hard to swallow as well. This was something I had deliberately ordered from US and was sitting in my store room initially as it was hard to swallow in my initial days.

I would like to ask if anyone of you have any good recommendations for easy to swallow pureed food that you relied on in the initial days of the pureed diet?

Any reference to previous threads is also greatly appreciated.

Really sorry and thanks for your help in advance! I wanted to tell you how much I appreciated this forum as I am an Asian and weight loss surgery is not greatly discussed on this island.

I did well with poached eggs while on purees, but I know many people have trouble tolerating eggs early on.

I would encourage you to at least give pureed meat a try rather than just thinking you won't tolerate it. What I would do is puree meat with a very flavorful sauce, that made it taste better for me. So I would do something like puree spicy tuna with Sriracha sauce, chicken with BBQ Sauce, etc. -- and make sure it is warm. It was more palatable to me that way.

Cottage cheese was another good food for me on purees, particularly if I stirred in a little spicy salad dressing or some kind of nut butter (Peanut Butter, cashew butter, stuff like that). Just don't be afraid to try things, but start small, with just a few bites, so that if it doesn't agree with you it's not a huge disaster!

For the Protein shakes, maybe try mixing them with half the amount of recommended Protein powder and something else added in to flavor them? Especially early on, that helped me get them down. Obviously you aren't getting the full amount of Protein then, but something is better than nothing! I would do things like 1/2 scoop chocolate Protein Powder + 1 spoonful of instant coffee granules, or 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder stirred into a big mug of warm (not hot) chai tea, or 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder + small amount of peppermint extract. Good luck!

Hi bufflehead,

Thanks so much for your reply! I really appreciated it a lot :) I will definitely go and give the pureed meat a try and maybe get some flavours in. Cottage cheese and thinned down Protein chai tea are also good suggestions. I will bear that in mind in my visit to the supermarket.

Thanks, again.

Cottage cheese was a must for me, also yogurt. I lived on them while supplementing with Protein shakes.

Agree whipped cottage cheese and no sugar apple sauce was heven for me.

I was allowed scrambled egg three days after surgery - my doc was progressive on introducing foods immediately, even if it was only 2 tablespoons (which took me about 20 minutes to finish). You can make them soft by adding a little 1% milk. My doc said no need to puree since you can dice them up easily in the pan.

I also like fat-free refried Beans - my stomach handled them easily.

I used canned chicken quite a bit - whiz up some fat free mayo and mustard. You can add some broth to make it a little more wet if needed. (You can make your own in the slow cooker, but I am not that organized!)

I don't like the texture of Greek Yogurt, but sometimes I had to eat it because of the Protein you get - I mixed it with a little bit of 1% milk and it changed the texture enough that I could tolerate it.

I got some Health Wise oatmeal that has 15 grams of Protein and made it thin - that was a nice change for Breakfast.

The shakes were getting old, so I had to get creative - I still use them to keep my protein numbers high. Try using some different flavored syrups. Mix a little banana or frozen peaches in (if they approved for you) - I used about 1/4 cup in a shake. Just enough to change the flavor and texture. One of my favorite shakes is mixing a chocolate shake mix (I use Unjury), add about 1/2 tablespoon cocoa and some sugar free peppermint Syrup. Add some ice cubes and it tastes like a Thin Mint Girl Scout cookie.

Thank you for your replies. My tummy is still feeling a bit swollen. So I will give it a rest today. But I am gonna go to the mall later to stock up on the cottage cheese, light sauces and Protein meat. Will try tomorrow to resume the purée diet again :) thank you so much!

Best wishes Joy, and welcome here. I think everyone covered most of the foods we relied on. My husband and I never pureed any foods, we relied on soft foods and Soups a little longer than usual, and forced ourselves to chew extremely slow and cautiously. I found some sugar free Polaner preserves that went well with the cottage cheese. I hope you find some good choices in Singapore. I spent hours in the store reading labels. The very best to you!

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your encouraging words. I have bought cottage cheese and abalone sauce, together with fat-free mayo (ops) and will be looking to resume my puree diet tomorrow :) Together with some fish and berries.

Round 2, here i come tomorrow!

Google "the world according to eggface". Great recipes. Great! Check out the ricotta bake. I literally cannot wait til Tuesday when I can make it.

Teachamy, did u blend your cottage cheese while on oureeds?

Google "the world according to eggface". Great recipes. Great! Check out the ricotta bake. I literally cannot wait til Tuesday when I can make it.

Thank you! I like Michelle "Shelly" too. She is full of joy N such an inspiration. Will check out the ricotta bake.

Yay! I had greek yoghurt today. Slowly slowly progressing! Thanks, guys!

Teachamy, did u blend your cottage cheese while on oureeds?

Hi Zoumommy,

I tried the cottage cheese today. I did not have to blend it (and this is coming from a person who cannot tolerate banana soy milk on Tuesday). It just takes a bit of chewing and I found that I did not have any pain swallowing it.

Always get the small curd cottage cheese, not the large curd.