Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any1 scared it wouldnt "work?"

As I prep for this major decision after dealing w weight issues for a lifetime, I've spent a ton of time on here. Every day I'm amazed by the success everyone has had. I'm wondering if any of you with such huge amounts of weight loss really were afraid before you got the sleeve that it just wouldn't work? For whatever reason, despite the statistics, that you'd be the one in a million who didn't lose weight? The thought keeps creeping up in my mind :(

Pretty much everyone has that fear, including me. Even now, into my 5th month, I fear I've already lost the last pound I will ever lose.

My surgery is this Thursday...and I have been having those some fears and also a fear of, what if I lose too much and am unable to eat anything at all and become sickly and unhealthy? I think it is just nervous jitters like we get about anything that is or can be a life changing decision.

These feelings nad thoughts are very normal,

There are people this doesn't work for, is it majority? obviously not, The odds are in your favor !

Good luck

I carry the same fears. Nothing has worked for me in the past as far as weight loss has gone but its me that hasn't worked. Weight watchers doesn't work if you don't put the effort in, so with this, its the same... Yes there's a restriction but there's a huge discipline component there that scared the sh*t out of me!

Pretty much everyone has that fear, including me. Even now, into my 5th month, I fear I've already lost the last pound I will ever lose.

Lol oh my god, that's gonna be me every single time I lose a pound!! Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks that way!

I have the same fears as well. I see people on here who are 3 months out who have lost 20lbs and while that's a great accomplishment, I feel for myself I would be disappointed. Plus you go through all this struggle your whole life being overweight, fight for surgery (no one can tell me their process has been the easiest thing they've ever done) and then imagine the heartbreak when you are 2 years post op and God forbid you gain weight back. I have to try and stay positive otherwise the doubts will get the best of me! You never know if you don't try!

Raises hand, It was easy for me, I just made a phone call and wired money. Sorry it was hard for you! Keep a positive mind frame. It will get you through anything.

I have the same fears as well. I see people on here who are 3 months out who have lost 20lbs and while that's a great accomplishment, I feel for myself I would be disappointed. Plus you go through all this struggle your whole life being overweight, fight for surgery (no one can tell me their process has been the easiest thing they've ever done) and then imagine the heartbreak when you are 2 years post op and God forbid you gain weight back. I have to try and stay positive otherwise the doubts will get the best of me! You never know if you don't try!

It was also very easy for me. I was self pay, so I had mailed them a check for $500 and when I was there, wrote them another check for $9,900. I took a second on the home to fund it, which took me about half an hour at the bank.

Total time from decision to scalpel was 30 days.

As far as losing the weight, you just need to focus on your program. Keep doing what you are supposed to do and the weight will come off. If you obsess about the scale, you will be very disappointed. I weighed once a month and always saw progress. It kept me inspired and focused on my program.

Every time I get on the scale I am shocked to see it steadily going down because I still have this irrational fear that the last pound I lost will be my last or (as with every other diet I've ever tried) I will see the scale drop awhile and steadily climb back up.

I knew there was a risk that it might not work or even that I might gain the weight back, but to me it was worth the chance that this might change my life, versus if I didn't have the surgery, I knew I would crash diet the rest of my life and eventually hit 300+

I have been focusing on making positive changes and better eating choices in my life incase by some loooooooooooooooong shot my new banana belly stops working.

I'm sure I would gain back some weight but not as much as I did in the past because I have sincerely been making some awesome lifestyle changes including identifying my trigger foods (Sodas, Starbuck's vanilla Latte, lemon flavored cake/cookies, pizza, Powerade) and I avoid them like the plague.

I do most of my own cooking instead of eating 2 - 3 meals out each day. I take my four multi-Vitamins at different intervals during the day, my B - 12 and Calcium chew. I work with a therapist to help elevate the anxiety and stress that helped me to put on 100lbs in ten years. I am lightly - moderately active each day.

These things give me peace and help soothe my worries about the sleeve not working.

As for the amount of weight loss, whenever I start to feel that it's not enough fast enough, my pre-opt self whispers "if you gained 2lbs in a week, you'd be pissed and beat yourself up then binge. so why are you pissed and acting like losing 2lbs is nothing?"

Edited by Comfy_Blue

Raises hand, It was easy for me, I just made a phone call and wired money. Sorry it was hard for you! Keep a positive mind frame. It will get you through anything.

It was also very easy for me. I was self pay, so I had mailed them a check for $500 and when I was there, wrote them another check for $9,900. I took a second on the home to fund it, which took me about half an hour at the bank.

Total time from decision to scalpel was 30 days.

As far as losing the weight, you just need to focus on your program. Keep doing what you are supposed to do and the weight will come off. If you obsess about the scale, you will be very disappointed. I weighed once a month and always saw progress. It kept me inspired and focused on my program.

I guess we all have a different definition of easy...it would not be "easy" for me to wire $10k! What I meant by fighting for surgery is just jumping through insurance hoops. I have stayed so positive and am thrilled to be scheduled for 3/24. Good luck to you both in your journeys!

I'm schedule for 3/24 also! Just got my date today and have the same fears you do. It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there!

I was very scared that I would be a failure because I had failed at all other wait loss attempts. I'm 7 months out and as of last week 72 lbs down (80) total. I have a way to go and still worry about keeping it off. If you eat as your doc/nutritionist recommends and exercise it will come off!

Everyone.

Itoo am scared that it wont work for me....lost 7 kg in 3 weeks and now thee is a stall since 2 weeks...I am quite worried...has it stopped...

will I loose more weight??I desperately need to as I have weak knees.