Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The WL Center wants me to have the sleeve.

Just had mine removed just 1 yr after my surgery I had several complications with swallowing and keeping food down and NO weight loss. Aka lap band intolerance! I wish I would have had the sleeve now I am battling my surgeon and insurance company. What surgeons don't tell you is that you will spend up to 180 per month on fills and there is no Guarantee you will lose. I have never yoyo'd among 5 lbs until I had this surgery! Sleeve is one surgery and no follow up monthly cost!

Do your won research bottom line!

Medicare does cover the follow up on the band. At the time I was in pre op Medicare had not decided to cover the sleeve and I had really wanted the band in the first place. I was told Medicare will cover removal but may not cover another surgery. The sleeve is good as it does not require the after care that the band does, but it can't be removed or reversed. I have known people who chose the sleeve because they did not want to go back for fills. I went back every six weeks for the first 6 months until I got to seeing green really well. Have not had a fill since September 6, 2013, and carry 6 cc in my 10 cc band. Given away 90 pounds as of my one year bandaversary and happy with what I have done. Best of luck in whichever you chose to do.

Well, if Medicare will pay for the band and not the sleeve, then the decision will be made by Medicare what surgery I will have.

Well, if Medicare will pay for the band and not the sleeve, then the decision will be made by Medicare what surgery I will have.

Medicare does cover the sleeve now in most states. Call them to check.

Edited by Bandarella

Doctors no longer wanting to place a band is actually not a global phenomena, just to be clear. In Australia, lapbands are still routinely placed. I have concerns with anyone who talks about long term complications without context. "Complication" is such a subjective word. There may be more complications with lapband surgery (ranging from minor to major) but the ones experienced by sleevers are often more significant, and often require far more invasive surgery to rectify. I don't think any complication should be taken too lightly here. or the long term affects of both, not JUST in weight loss but overall health.

I don't think this is as simple a decision as someone saying 'go for it'. There are many factors to consider for both surgeries and these shouldn't be glossed over. These include complication rates, types of complications, ability to rectify complications, access to after-care, quality of aftercare, and as a veteran of WLS, the LONG term ramifications of WLS. It's hard to believe that concerns like 'i need to eat for health reasons' might be anything you might worry about now, but believe me when I say it's possible. I have had my band loosened when I was losing too much. Nice to have the option, but not something you think about when you're heavy and only just starting out. It's why, when my band developed a leak and I had the option of revising to another band or a sleeve, I chose another band. Because I weighed ALL the factors and came to the best decision for ME. Not you, not the guy next door, and not my insurance company or the doctor I happened to be seeing, but me.

Edited by lellow

She said she thought it was in my best interest to have the sleeve.

It sounds like it's in THEIR "best interest" for you to get the sleeve instead of the band, for the reasons stated above.

I also went in wanting to get the band and the doctors & nurses convinced me to go for the sleeve.

I went home and continued my research and I thank GOD I came to just a few days later, and called them to let them know I was having BLAPband instead. They tried to still push the sleeve, but I wasn't having it. My sister had her sleeve done in June and she's wasting away, sort-to-speak. She can't stop losing :(

I've heard this sentiment lots...that the doctors are in it for the money. And I'm sure that's true to varying degrees where ever you go.

The amusing part is that first I hear that docs want you to have the band because they get all of those aftercare dollars. And then I hear that docs want you to have the sleeve so there is more limited aftercare.

My advice...find a doctor and practice you like and work with them to make the best decision for you. Most really do have the best interest of patients in mind.

I've heard this sentiment lots...that the doctors are in it for the money. And I'm sure that's true to varying degrees where ever you go.

The amusing part is that first I hear that docs want you to have the band because they get all of those aftercare dollars. And then I hear that docs want you to have the sleeve so there is more limited aftercare.

My advice...find a doctor and practice you like and work with them to make the best decision for you. Most really do have the best interest of patients in mind.

To elaborate on what Chickie said, also do the research from credible non-biased sources (like PubMed, nih, and WebMD) and see how they stack up to each other. If you're looking for the least up front cost and least invasive, band might be for you. But if you're not good on follow-up, want fewer late complications, and want to lose a little more sleeve or bypass might be for you. Each WLS has it's strengths and weaknesses so everyone should look into them and find a best fit.

My surgeon assured me that with my RNY it is reversible (he leaves the amputated portions of the stomach & intestine in the abdomen). He does this for the sole reason of needing to meet calorie requirements for battling cancer should it arise.

Doctors no longer wanting to place a band is actually not a global phenomena, just to be clear. In Australia, lapbands are still routinely placed. I have concerns with anyone who talks about long term complications without context. "Complication" is such a subjective word. There may be more complications with lapband surgery (ranging from minor to major) but the ones experienced by sleevers are often more significant, and often require far more invasive surgery to rectify. I don't think any complication should be taken too lightly here. or the long term affects of both, not JUST in weight loss but overall health. I don't think this is as simple a decision as someone saying 'go for it'. There are many factors to consider for both surgeries and these shouldn't be glossed over. These include complication rates, types of complications, ability to rectify complications, access to after-care, quality of aftercare, and as a veteran of WLS, the LONG term ramifications of WLS. It's hard to believe that concerns like 'i need to eat for health reasons' might be anything you might worry about now, but believe me when I say it's possible. I have had my band loosened when I was losing too much. Nice to have the option, but not something you think about when you're heavy and only just starting out. It's why, when my band developed a leak and I had the option of revising to another band or a sleeve, I chose another band. Because I weighed ALL the factors and came to the best decision for ME. Not you, not the guy next door, and not my insurance company or the doctor I happened to be seeing, but me.

I haven't seen you around lately. How are you doing ? I know I only wanted the band. No major removal of my insides. I know of about 6-8 people that had by pass and after around 8ish years they are all huge again. Maybe that can happen with the band but I know that if I over eat I get sick.

Only you can decide what's best for you. It's Unethical for a doctor to recommend one surgery over the other am Not fully disclose why they feel it's a better choice.

But I wanted the sleeve day one! My lapband surgeon doesn't perform the sleeve or bypass. He told me often folks who have the sleeve gain it all back with in 2 yrs and it fails.

My response... Only I can be the judge of my weight gain in the future. None the less My surgeon shouldn't have spoken ill of the Sleeve simply because was not his specialty.

bottom line I never gained with the band but I never lost.. I sat steady at a 28 lb weight loss.. Even though I couldn't even swallow my own saliva. I regurgitated Water and vomited 3-4 times per week.

My father had the gastric bypass 10 years ago he was 500lbs and is now 245 . Mind you he is 6'2 so he looks very slim. He was very successful! But not without struggle along the way. He was my partner in the lapband adventure I has no Clue my band would be deemed unsalvageable only 1 year later. I was diagnosed with cancer and had a mass removed near my spine mid year. I never wanted this to be a failure.

I couldn't cheat if I tried! I had restriction DAY one. Which wasn't the issue so much. I got to the point where I was eating 1 time per day due to vomiting. And turns out my seizures were related to extreme dehydration according to my New surgeon.

I have 2 ftiends who had the band. First one lost 37 pounds and that was it. Second one only 15. Both were a high bmi. The first one will be getting the sleeve from band revised. I guess it depends on the person and how much they want/need to loose.

I chose the sleeve cuz I knew I would be more successful and successful I was. Lost 90 lbs and wear a size 8. Good luck.

Your doctor cannot speak for every sleeved person so he can suck it. I am 15 mos out and have not gained but a few lbs over Xmas and lost it. I tbink its highly Unethical for a Dr to tell a person that they will gain the weight back. Do you have to watch yourself? Yes but I still have excellent restriction.

I completely Agree Doll!

I am desvestated that I tried so hard and saw such little weight loss. I wish I could go back.. I am hoping to have the sleeve this year.