Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I fell off the wagon and have to run to catch it

My surgery was in November 2011. I lost 58kg in approximately one year. With another 7kgs, to my main goal, though I would've liked to lose 5kg more on top of that.

Then in March of 2013 I had an adjustment which caused a lot of problems. I was in hospital, on a drip, severely dehydrated and in a lot of pain. My band was completely loosened, at which point I started to gain weight.

For about 6 months I was too scared to get another fill, because I was worried I would have a repeated of what happened in March. But I got a fill, if only a small fill, and was able to maintain my weight, which had gone up during the 6 months of being empty. I then jumped off a bridge (into a river and landed on a sandbank - I'm not suicidal) and busted my leg. I was on crutches for a month and unable to properly exercise until last week.

I have gained 20kgs during the past 12 months, my fitness has decreased drastically due to my accident and I now have severe acid reflux which I am hoping goes away when I get a complete unfill next week.

All in all, I am in a big rut. I remembered that although I don't have anyone near me for advice and support, I can come on here and hear a world of wisdom.

I am determined to lose the 20kgs I've gained, then another 12kgs on top of that. I need to get my diet and exercise back on track and I need to get out of my rut.

Hi, I can feel your pain about falling off the wagon. I hit 100 pounds lost about 14 months post op. now at 21 months post op I am only about 70 down. I have not been on this board in a loooong time. I had also stopped logging my food and my exercise went way down because of an injury.

I'm making today the first day of my new journey. Already logged Breakfast, and came on here to some much needed support. Seems like we are in a similar place. We know what worked the first time around...we just need to get back to that place.

I wish I had more advice for you, good luck!

I too fell off the wagon and making a commitment to myself to turn this around. Good luck to you!

Oh my goodness, I hear you! I have been on another weight loss site for YEARS- about 10- not focused on bariatrics- and one of the members posted this,which is just what I needed to hear, and might be good for you too...

**Progress toward your goals is never going to be a straight line. It will always be a wavy line. You'll go up and then come down a little.

Most people get discouraged when they slide a step back after 2 steps forward. They think they are failing, that they have lost it. They're simply in step with the natural rhythm of progress. Once you understand this rhythm, you can work with it instead of against it. You can plan for renewal.

Pessimists don't want to plan for renewal, because they don't think there should have to be any. Pessimists are all-or-nothing thinkers. They're always offended when the world is not perfect. They think taking a step backward means something negative about the whole project. "If this were a good marriage, we wouldn't HAVE to rekindle the romance," a pessimist would say, dismissing the idea of taking a 2nd honeymoon.

But an optimist knows that there will be ups and downs. And an optimist isn't scared or discouraged by the downs. In fact, an optimist plans for the downs, and prepares creative ways to deal with them.

You can schedule your own comebacks. You can look ahead on your calendar and block out time to refresh and renew and recover. Even if you feel very "up" right now, it's smart to plan for renewal. Schedule your own comeback while you're on top. Build in big periods of time to get away - even to get away from what you love. Because coming back will be that much more exciting when you've been renewed. ~Steve Chandler - from the book - 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself **

Isn't this great???

Nicki

Nicki---- how awesome! I have actually been on my HEALTHYNEWME journey for two years now, even though I have been banded six months ago. The most liberating thing I've ever done ( and it's only taken me 53 years to figure this out) is that I quit weighing, except once a month at my docror's visits. Noire down 1.3, up 0.8, up 0.4, down 1.1....... Every month so far at the visits, I have lost( from as little as three pounds to as much as eleven pounds. My road has definite ups and down..... It is not a straight path. I even drew a sign to post near my desk that shows the exact same thing!!!!!

I had my troubles when I got banded. exactly 1 month later I broke my wrist and arm and had to have surgery with lots of hardware. my exercise went to just walks around the yard. when problems happens like this and your broken leg and dehydration I don't think you are off the wagon. I bet you think about your band everyday. we wouldn't be banded if we didn't have a eating disorder. so when the band is unfilled you just did what you did before wls. please just take a deep breath. try to eat healthy lots of Protein. keep the snacking to a minimum. and drink lots of Water. start with your fills. small small fills. so you get used to them as you get them. I think certain ppl need to go slower and smaller than some. I am one of those ppl. our health and accidents are going to effect us. I think deep down most of us are feeling sorry for ourselves. even if its smaller now that we are banded but it is still on the edge of our being. so give ourselves a break. you will be able to exercise soon. and start back getting fills and will be back on track in no time. hope you feel better soon. don't be to hard on yourse;f