Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op tomorrow... I can eat a good amount. Is this normal?

Also..the last portion of your subject title reads "is this normal?" that may be why people are answering that question vs. How are/were they doing at 3 weeks...:-)

My doc. had me start "trying" to swallow a Tbl. spoon or 2 the first 2 weeks, and then pureed foods after that. (Obviously my main source of nutrition was shakes. I felt like I was a baby on formula!) Week 3 I could eat soft and mushy foods and work my way up. I know by week 3 I ate my first scrambled egg and was regularly eating 1/4 c. of yogurt or cottage cheese. A few weeks after that, I worked my way up to a half cup, but I have the slimy puke reaction if I take a bite or 2 too many. chicken and I have gone our separate ways, but crab is a great food for me too. (I had crab cakes last week. YUM.) I think if this is normal for you, this is normal for you, and your surgeon knows what s/he is doing.

Do you count your calories/protein on MyFitness Pal or some other website? That helps me know when too much is too much if I am feeling particularly hungry.

Great point I appreciate your thorough description my nut said the same thing for me. I am going to stick to this plan as well so that I can reach my goal in 7-8 months. Congratulations on your success and thanks again for the meal plan break down. At week one post op I am learning what feeling satisfied is.

I'm not hungry... I eat to nourish my body. There is not enough nourishment in 2 bites of mashed potatoes. I eat plant Protein, legumes, lean protein. I did not have this surgery to starve myself slim. I did it to guarantee I maintain Portion Control (that was my problem).

Glad your not "starving yourself thin" I was just excited to have finally graduated to pureeds and had a couple bites of mashed potatoes, wasn't looking for a lecture or even input, I was just excited Obviously, mashed potatoes will NOT be apart of my daily food intake, but I did enjoy the 2 bites I took, plus it was the first time I felt full since being sleeved, so it was my personal victory.....that's it

Are you still losing? Are you getting sick after you eat?
If you are still losing and not making yourself sick, I wouldn't worry.
If you're following your doctor's orders, it sounds like you're doing fine.
Yes, you can eat a little more than some, but that's okay. Everyone is different. You're still obviously not eating anywhere close to the amount you were able to pre-sleeve, right?
If you're REALLY worried about it - call your doc and see what he says. But really, sounds to me like you're doing okay. I am a little surprised at how quick you're on full solids - but if it's not bothering you and you're doc's okay with it - then you're fine!

If it helps (it may not), my WLS center food advancement plan:

1. Clear liquid- day 1

2. liquids (Protein shakes, Soups, etc)- week 1-3

3. Purée- week 4-5

4. Solids - after week 5

I did liquids (phase 2) until solid phase (skipped purée). After week 5, my solids were 2-3 ounces of soft food like salmon. It wasn't until month two that I could eat chicken and pork (still in 1-3 oz quantities). Hamburger and beef did not happen successfully until month 5 (tried a few times after month 3, but it did not work). The nut recommended we get used to eating 1/3 a cup or 3 oz of food a meal at least for 6 months. That is about how much I could eat, but I measured almost every meal. After 6 months, I started to eat more and more. Today at 19 months, I still can only manage 3-4 oz of chicken, but I can eat more of non dense food like salad, chili and the like. Yet I am not eating based on fullness, but satisfaction. It takes a few months to be able to read your body to get an intuition about satisfaction versus edge of fullness. I made a deliberate decision to not eat sliders, extra carbs, starches, etc during the first 6 months to maximize weight loss. And it worked. I lost 100% in 7 months (180 #). Today it is really easy to eat just enough to satisfy, but it took quite a few months to build these habits. These are just some thoughts for your consideration.

No it really doesn't help b/c that is YOUR surgeons recommendations NOT mine. My original question was not how to advance my diet. I was cleared for a soft diet ONE week post op and doing just fine. Thanks anyway.

But seriously, is a burrito considered soft? I would consider that regular food.

this forum is becoming a joke.... a lot of ppl who think they know it all. I am sorry I posted a simple question that yielded a lot of off the topic responses.

You keep saying people are off topic when they're answering YOUR question. Also, I think you should go reread all your posts. Your posts are always very know it all. We're all new to this, including you. Being rude when you don't like people's answers to your questions isn't going to do you any favors in the future.

>

this forum is becoming a joke.... a lot of ppl who think they know it all. I am sorry I posted a simple question that yielded a lot of off the topic responses.

You keep saying people are off topic when they're answering YOUR question. Also, I think you should go reread all your posts. Your posts are always very know it all. We're all new to this, including you. Being rude when you don't like people's answers to your questions isn't going to do you any favors in the future.

You people need reading comprehension. I was asking if others were able to tolerate this much food so early. I don't need someone telling me that everything I am doing is wrong and I am going to stretch my sleeve yada yada. Those are comments for a bariatric surgeon (MINE) to decide.

oh please.

If it helps (it may not), my WLS center food advancement plan:

1. Clear liquid- day 1
2. liquids (Protein shakes, Soups, etc)- week 1-3
3. Purée- week 4-5
4. Solids - after week 5

I did liquids (phase 2) until solid phase (skipped purée). After week 5, my solids were 2-3 ounces of soft food like salmon. It wasn't until month two that I could eat chicken and pork (still in 1-3 oz quantities). Hamburger and beef did not happen successfully until month 5 (tried a few times after month 3, but it did not work). The nut recommended we get used to eating 1/3 a cup or 3 oz of food a meal at least for 6 months. That is about how much I could eat, but I measured almost every meal. After 6 months, I started to eat more and more. Today at 19 months, I still can only manage 3-4 oz of chicken, but I can eat more of non dense food like salad, chili and the like. Yet I am not eating based on fullness, but satisfaction. It takes a few months to be able to read your body to get an intuition about satisfaction versus edge of fullness. I made a deliberate decision to not eat sliders, extra carbs, starches, etc during the first 6 months to maximize weight loss. And it worked. I lost 100% in 7 months (180 #). Today it is really easy to eat just enough to satisfy, but it took quite a few months to build these habits. These are just some thoughts for your consideration.

No it really doesn't help b/c that is YOUR surgeons recommendations NOT mine. My original question was not how to advance my diet. I was cleared for a soft diet ONE week post op and doing just fine. Thanks anyway.

But seriously, is a burrito considered soft? I would consider that regular food.

Yes.. I feel fine. I do not feel sick at all after eating. I am getting in my Protein first and making sure if I do eat any carbs they are always paired with a Protein like I was taught in nutrition class. I lost 13 lbs on pre op diet and another 10lbs since surgery (exactly 3 weeks ago today) for a total of 23 lbs. I was just wondering why others are not able to eat much at this point and was wondering if I just have some Iron clad stomach or something. Thanks for your feedback.

Are you still losing? Are you getting sick after you eat?
If you are still losing and not making yourself sick, I wouldn't worry.
If you're following your doctor's orders, it sounds like you're doing fine.
Yes, you can eat a little more than some, but that's okay. Everyone is different. You're still obviously not eating anywhere close to the amount you were able to pre-sleeve, right?
If you're REALLY worried about it - call your doc and see what he says. But really, sounds to me like you're doing okay. I am a little surprised at how quick you're on full solids - but if it's not bothering you and you're doc's okay with it - then you're fine!

Thank you for changing your user name.

Edited by magtart

Op - why are you so angry? In every thread? We are just trying to help.

Edited by Fiddleman

Ok I was confused but I assume Bella changed her name? Either way Bella do you think you sleeve is larger than others... can you get an xray would that show you if its not as small as you thought it would be....I just hope mine isn't too small that all I can eat is one egg and be full for hours....Good luck on your journey....I hope that we can all agree to disagree.eoc

Ok I was confused but I assume Bella changed her name? Either way Bella do you think you sleeve is larger than others... can you get an xray would that show you if its not as small as you thought it would be....I just hope mine isn't too small that all I can eat is one egg and be full for hours....Good luck on your journey....I hope that we can all agree to disagree.eoc

I personally HOPE my sleeve is small enough that all I can eat is one egg and be full for awhile.