Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op tomorrow... I can eat a good amount. Is this normal?

THE QUESTION WAS........ "wondering how ppl are doing few weeks out"

NOT... how do I advance my diet OR am I stretching my sleeve.

Please stick to the topic people. I don't need a doctor... I have one thank you very much.

Rudeness probably won't make you a lot of friends. We are all in the same boat and these threads are known to vary widely. A polite response will get you a lot farther than ALL OF THIS internet yelling.

Maybe just appreciate that people are concerned over your well being.

I would also say that that is a lot of food for that far out. You stomach is still healing and may not be sending you the signals to stop eating fast enough. At three weeks, when I was told to progress with soft foods, I could barely eat one slice of lunch meat with one slice of cheese rolled up.

I'm sure you trust your doctor and that's why you chose them but I would be concerned that they are allowing you to eat all of those things so early out when 99% if us were not allowed to do that. If you are able to eat that much now, how much will you be able to eat at three, six, or nine months? What about at two years? The restriction will decrease over time and you don't want to get to a point where you lose that Portion Control you are looking for.

It never hurts to get a second opinion. And even though you may get lots of opinions on here, another bariatric surgeon may help answer your questions to the scientific extent we are not able to.

well maybe my sleeve is bigger, IDK. Maybe surgeons make sleeve smaller for those who have more than 100lbs to lose.

Rudeness probably won't make you a lot of friends. We are all in the same boat and these threads are known to vary widely. A polite response will get you a lot farther than ALL OF THIS internet yelling.

Maybe just appreciate that people are concerned over your well being.

this forum is becoming a joke.... a lot of ppl who think they know it all. I am sorry I posted a simple question that yielded a lot of off the topic responses.

Hey Bella..I'm abt 2 mos out now but three weeks out is when I started soft foods. At first I could tolerate one scrambled egg with1/2 slice of cheese. Or i would do like 14 cup turkey chili with 1/2slice of cheese..for a meal..and for my Snacks I also had Greek yogurt..usually couldn't finish one earlier in the day but seemed I had a bit more room in the evening and could eat the whole thing. I progressed a little bit as time goes by and now I can eat that scrambled egg and a Turkey Breakfast sausage link chopped up in low Carb tortilla...I can never finish the whole thing..but what I do get down is probly a bit more than 1/2 cup..hope that gives you an idea of where'd I was at 3 weeks out

Hi Bella

I think your doing just fine ... I went straight to soft foods pretty much right out the hospital..( as per my dr.) 1/2 a cup sounds fine... I also had no problems with anything . Sounds like your doing just fine.. I am a slow loser but hopefully this st. paddy day challenge will put me back in gear.... Good Luck!!!! :D

Thank you Yazzy and Abarta! That helps a lot and thank you for answering the question at hand. :))

I wish I could eat a third of a burrito. I can't even finish a child sized hamburger patty (no bun obviously) I'm pretty sure my soft solid suggest amount is about 4 oz too, I just can't get 4 ounces of food down. 3 shrimp, or a couple bites of a burger this is what I can handle. If it was me, I would run it by my doc and see what their opinion is.

this forum is becoming a joke.... a lot of ppl who think they know it all. I am sorry I posted a simple question that yielded a lot of off the topic responses.

You keep saying people are off topic when they're answering YOUR question. Also, I think you should go reread all your posts. Your posts are always very know it all. We're all new to this, including you. Being rude when you don't like people's answers to your questions isn't going to do you any favors in the future.

I agree with you OP, I do think that seems like more than you would want to be eating right now. I believe you and I were sleeved on the same day, 2/3. My only feedback would be to not eat the tortillas if possible. They are just empty calories, pure carbs and no nutrition. Beans are good but moderately carby. Like you, I have been able to eat earlier than some because I've not had any issues. But that doesn't necessarily mean I should at this stage. I say this as I choke down my first Protein shake of the day...

Then stop. It's annoying to see every thread you participate in end up this way. Most if us are here for support and encouragement, not a debate.

Then stop. It's annoying to see every thread you participate in end up this way. Most if us are here for support and encouragement, not a debate.

Not to add to the negativity, but sometimes I don't even think belladonna had surgery. She's told countless people its okay to cheat on the pre-op diets, and then makes posts/threads like this that just lead me think it's not real. I understand we all heal differently, but she just seems in a completely different world than the rest of us.

Belladonna, I hope instead of thinking everyone here is "out to get you" you'll realize they're just trying to help you, or answer the question you're asking.

You keep saying people are off topic when they're answering YOUR question. Also, I think you should go reread all your posts. Your posts are always very know it all. We're all new to this, including you. Being rude when you don't like people's answers to your questions isn't going to do you any favors in the future.

Amen, sister!

If it helps (it may not), my WLS center food advancement plan:

1. Clear liquid- day 1

2. liquids (Protein shakes, Soups, etc)- week 1-3

3. Purée- week 4-5

4. Solids - after week 5

I did liquids (phase 2) until solid phase (skipped purée). After week 5, my solids were 2-3 ounces of soft food like salmon. It wasn't until month two that I could eat chicken and pork (still in 1-3 oz quantities). Hamburger and beef did not happen successfully until month 5 (tried a few times after month 3, but it did not work). The nut recommended we get used to eating 1/3 a cup or 3 oz of food a meal at least for 6 months. That is about how much I could eat, but I measured almost every meal. After 6 months, I started to eat more and more. Today at 19 months, I still can only manage 3-4 oz of chicken, but I can eat more of non dense food like salad, chili and the like. Yet I am not eating based on fullness, but satisfaction. It takes a few months to be able to read your body to get an intuition about satisfaction versus edge of fullness. I made a deliberate decision to not eat sliders, extra carbs, starches, etc during the first 6 months to maximize weight loss. And it worked. I lost 100% in 7 months (180 #). Today it is really easy to eat just enough to satisfy, but it took quite a few months to build these habits. These are just some thoughts for your consideration.

No it really doesn't help b/c that is YOUR surgeons recommendations NOT mine. My original question was not how to advance my diet. I was cleared for a soft diet ONE week post op and doing just fine. Thanks anyway.

Seriously rude response to one of the nicer people on here.

I had my surgery 2/7 so it is not quite 3 weeks for me and I can eat quite a bit more than I thought I would. Easily a cup of farina for Breakfast.

This morning I had 1 egg with a 1/2 piece of well toasted toast. snack is a 5oz cup of greek yogurt. So far I am tolerating everything I try quite well.

Since the surgery I have been ever so lucky to have no nausea or vomiting whatsoever. No heartburn even. I do find that no matter what I eat, I have to make sure I get out some very un-ladylike burps immediately after eating. Also, every so often I get some episodes of sweating. Apparently others experience the sweating as well. I certainly hope that is not a permanent thing. I already went thru menopause thank you very much!

I am down 25 pounds plus so I am heading in the right direction. I log everything I eat at caloriecount.com so I can track my Protein, carbs 7 sugar.

Let's just be happy we are among the lucky ones that are able to eat with our new smaller tummies and not feel sick on a regular basis.

webtop11