Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op tomorrow... I can eat a good amount. Is this normal?

You know... I never wanted to go into this with the hopes to starve my body... that is so unhealthy. I want to desperately lose this weight just like everyone else. I have always incorporated healthy food in my diet.... I love GOOD food. My problem was always Portion Control. If something tasted good... I would eat til I was full and as you know... our old stomachs could hold a heck of a lot of food. I am happy I am eating like this, not getting sick and still losing the weight. I just want to have the great results as everyone else. I am obsessed with hitting onederland by summer BUT you know what... if I can eat healthy, portion controlled meals this early on and that means the weight will take longer to come off... I probably should consider it a blessing. Thanks for all your input. I am going to stop obsessing about rapid weight loss now and be grateful I am doing this well so soon.

Hi Belladonna,

I was sleeved on 2/4/14. I am on soft foods (also advanced a little early with NUT approval). I think I "could" eat what you are describing. I would say a third of a reg burrito is about 3/4 of a cup. That's about what I eat. I measure ounces/or scoop with a cup (1/2 or 3/4 depending). I have eaten 3/4 cup of butter Beans at a sitting, refried Beans I can do 3/4 cup, I eat 1/2 cup cottage cheese and am sure I could add some peaches if I wanted to. I measure honestly and don't know what "full" feels like, I don't think I've been full yet.

Tonight I went to Outback Steakhouse and ate about 2 to 3 ounces of salmon (guessing), and 3 or 4 broccoli crowns. I felt comfortable, probably took 45 minutes to eat it, went slow and really paid attention, didn't have any discomfort or issues with it.

I would say you are eating within the normal realm, but I haven't felt "full" yet and don't want to.

I'm with you, I want to get my calories up to at least 700... I am active and work out, I want to make sure I'm eating enough and don't want my body in starvation mode.

I don't think it's abnormal, but I would weigh and measure and track what you are eating and not rely in feeling full (that's just meet, but feeling full was something I liked in my former life, so I'm really trying to use this drastic tool, to get away from that.

Good luck girl, don't over stress it, listen to your body and listen to your Dr. I am doing fine with soft foods too.

I don't want to be rude, and please don't take it as if I am...

But I have seen your numerous posts about being 'normal' or if this or that is 'normal.' Every time you get the same reactions. I fully believe that this diet is slowly undoing what you wanted to accomplish.

It isn't a matter of 'starving' yourself if you are following the diet and getting the correct amount of supplements and vital minerals and Protein. You also have to weigh your food. Your stomach can only hold so much without being stretched now. The amount you are consuming is sure to be stretching it. It isn't a matter of healing faster. It is a matter of anatomy and the ideals of the surgery.

You can keep posting and asking if things are 'normal.' But honestly, no. None of what you are doing is normal. Talk to another nut or another doctor and get another opinion.

Again, I mean no offense. But someone just getting out of the hospital and being explained the severity of following a proper diet knows all of this. Best of luck.

Hi Belladonna,

I was sleeved on 2/4/14. I am on soft foods (also advanced a little early with NUT approval). I think I "could" eat what you are describing. I would say a third of a reg burrito is about 3/4 of a cup. That's about what I eat. I measure ounces/or scoop with a cup (1/2 or 3/4 depending). I have eaten 3/4 cup of butter Beans at a sitting, refried Beans I can do 3/4 cup, I eat 1/2 cup cottage cheese and am sure I could add some peaches if I wanted to. I measure honestly and don't know what "full" feels like, I don't think I've been full yet.

Tonight I went to Outback Steakhouse and ate about 2 to 3 ounces of salmon (guessing), and 3 or 4 broccoli crowns. I felt comfortable, probably took 45 minutes to eat it, went slow and really paid attention, didn't have any discomfort or issues with it.

I would say you are eating within the normal realm, but I haven't felt "full" yet and don't want to.

I'm with you, I want to get my calories up to at least 700... I am active and work out, I want to make sure I'm eating enough and don't want my body in starvation mode.

I don't think it's abnormal, but I would weigh and measure and track what you are eating and not rely in feeling full (that's just meet, but feeling full was something I liked in my former life, so I'm really trying to use this drastic tool, to get away from that.

Good luck girl, don't over stress it, listen to your body and listen to your Dr. I am doing fine with soft foods too.

That is great to hear!! I thought I was the only one. When I describe 'full' it is not the old fullness I used to feel. It is like I can feel a slight bit of restriction beginning to creep in and then I stop immediately. I am really afraid of what may happen if I force it past that 'feeling'. I could probably easily be eating 3/4 of a cup without a doubt. That is a heck of a lot less than I ever used to eat I know that much. Thanks for your feedback... that really is relieving to know that others also are tolerating a quick advance in the stages as well. :)

I don't want to be rude, and please don't take it as if I am...

But I have seen your numerous posts about being 'normal' or if this or that is 'normal.' Every time you get the same reactions. I fully believe that this diet is slowly undoing what you wanted to accomplish.

It isn't a matter of 'starving' yourself if you are following the diet and getting the correct amount of supplements and vital minerals and Protein. You also have to weigh your food. Your stomach can only hold so much without being stretched now. The amount you are consuming is sure to be stretching it. It isn't a matter of healing faster. It is a matter of anatomy and the ideals of the surgery.

You can keep posting and asking if things are 'normal.' But honestly, no. None of what you are doing is normal. Talk to another nut or another doctor and get another opinion.

Again, I mean no offense. But someone just getting out of the hospital and being explained the severity of following a proper diet knows all of this. Best of luck.

Wait.. did you just say none of what I am doing is normal? What exactly are you referring too? The fact I am able to tolerate soft solid diet only 3 weeks out with MY doctors approval? I am following MY doctors advice to advance as tolerated... I am TOLERATING and I am able to eat 1/2 c of food.. perhaps a bit more without difficulty. I do not force it down and I stop when I feel restriction. Every meal I eat is packed with Protein rich food! Who are you to judge me and tell me what I am doing is wrong? You are welcome to offer an opinion but don't belittle me with your condescending comments. That was rude and uncalled for. Stick around sweetie and watch me melt.

Edited by Belladonna723

I also have seen you flip out on people on here as well. Don't ask questions if you don't want people's answers. We are not doctors. I made a suggestion to you. There is no need for you to react the way you are, and I also TOLD you that I did not mean it condescendingly. But please, you can act like I took a direct stab at you.

Based on the information I see you post, I simply made a comment saying its not normal. If it was, why would you be asking? I suggested a second opinion by another nut.

So calm down, and again; WE ARE NOT DOCTORS. We are simply a bunch of people going down the same road you are trying to help. If you don't want the help, DON'T ASK.

I also have seen you flip out on people on here as well. Don't ask questions if you don't want people's answers. We are not doctors. I made a suggestion to you. There is no need for you to react the way you are, and I also TOLD you that I did not mean it condescendingly. But please, you can act like I took a direct stab at you.

Based on the information I see you post, I simply made a comment saying its not normal. If it was, why would you be asking? I suggested a second opinion by another nut.

So calm down, and again; WE ARE NOT DOCTORS. We are simply a bunch of people going down the same road you are trying to help. If you don't want the help, DON'T ASK.

You call it 'flip out' I call it having an intellectual debate. If you can't offer something intellectual to say, DON'T REPLY.

You, my dear, are incorrigible. Good luck with your new life. Sorry I tried to offer you some advice on a Bariatric Forum for people seeking ADVICE ABOUT BARIATRIC SURGERY.

You, my dear, are incorrigible. Good luck with your new life. Sorry I tried to offer you some advice on a Bariatric Forum for people seeking ADVICE ABOUT BARIATRIC SURGERY.

Why thank you!

Actually- yes, I would say that is a lot of food for a few weeks out. Maybe you need to force yourself to go through the food stages even though your sleeve appears to be far more advanced (and healed). This is not a criticism. Just a suggestion. If you forcibly slow down in the food advancement, you will have more time to lay a foundation that may. yield faster weight loss. What do you think? It is too bad your sleeve, unfortunately, is not helping you more. It means you need to be more in control in terms of measuring, limiting now instead of later when you must do it.

Edited by Fiddleman

This is my second WLS..I had a revision because there were several things going on. The first surgeon made my original pouch larger than she should have therefore I didn't have "true" restriction. Over time pouches stretch... its a given fact..but I really didn't stand a chance because of her "measurements." There were quite a few other things going on that my current surgeon had to correct and so far my revision has been great.

Comparing this procedure to the first I can say that there were a few things I did wrong. I was trying to "hold" on to former eating habits and in doing so... I believe I stretched my already over sized pouch. Even though I may be able to tolerate certain foods now( they go down without complication/don't feel the need to throw up or feel too full) I still don't want to "introduce" my stomach to those things so soon. I guess I have an extreme phobia when it comes to "stretching" my pouch. I will remain on a soft foods/full liquid diet for at least another 2-3 weeks. I think it will help with weight loss and it will also allow my pouch to heal better. I equate the new stomach to a balloon. It's small but elastic and if were to fill a balloon with Water it would stretch to 3 or 4 times its original size ( maybe more).

At the end of the day everyone is different... and we all govern ourselves differently. Whatever works for you.. I say do it.. your success is just that your success. I know what works for me....and I am doing just that. Like I said.. I personally have a very real fear of stretching my pouch..so I am taking things VERY slowly one day at a time. There will be plenty of time to incorporate "new" foods later down the road. I am still having some separation anxieties with a few foods.. lol.. .so this time is really allowing me to get focused and kick some old eating habits.

Edited by one_more_time

Actually- yes, I would say that is a lot of food for a few weeks out. Maybe you need to force yourself to go through the food stages even though your sleeve appears to be far more advanced (and healed). This is not a criticism. Just a suggestion. If you forcibly slow down in the food advancement, you will have more time to lay a foundation that may. yield faster weight loss. What do you think? It is too bad your sleeve, unfortunately, is not helping you more. It means you need to be more in control in terms of measuring, limiting now instead of later when you must do it.

Well.. I will call doctor office tomorrow and see what they advise. Everyone here seems to get different instructions on how to advance their diet.

Well.. I will call doctor office tomorrow and see what they advise. Everyone here seems to get different instructions on how to advance their diet.

If it helps (it may not), my WLS center food advancement plan:

1. Clear liquid- day 1

2. liquids (protein shakes, Soups, etc)- week 1-3

3. Purée- week 4-5

4. Solids - after week 5

I did liquids (phase 2) until solid phase (skipped purée). After week 5, my solids were 2-3 ounces of soft food like salmon. It wasn't until month two that I could eat chicken and pork (still in 1-3 oz quantities). Hamburger and beef did not happen successfully until month 5 (tried a few times after month 3, but it did not work). The nut recommended we get used to eating 1/3 a cup or 3 oz of food a meal at least for 6 months. That is about how much I could eat, but I measured almost every meal. After 6 months, I started to eat more and more. Today at 19 months, I still can only manage 3-4 oz of chicken, but I can eat more of non dense food like salad, chili and the like. Yet I am not eating based on fullness, but satisfaction. It takes a few months to be able to read your body to get an intuition about satisfaction versus edge of fullness. I made a deliberate decision to not eat sliders, extra carbs, starches, etc during the first 6 months to maximize weight loss. And it worked. I lost 100% in 7 months (180 #). Today it is really easy to eat just enough to satisfy, but it took quite a few months to build these habits. These are just some thoughts for your consideration.

If it helps (it may not), my WLS center food advancement plan:

1. Clear liquid- day 1

2. Liquids (protein shakes, Soups, etc)- week 1-3

3. Purée- week 4-5

4. Solids - after week 5

I did liquids (phase 2) until solid phase (skipped purée). After week 5, my solids were 2-3 ounces of soft food like salmon. It wasn't until month two that I could eat chicken and pork (still in 1-3 oz quantities). Hamburger and beef did not happen successfully until month 5 (tried a few times after month 3, but it did not work). The nut recommended we get used to eating 1/3 a cup or 3 oz of food a meal at least for 6 months. That is about how much I could eat, but I measured almost every meal. After 6 months, I started to eat more and more. Today at 19 months, I still can only manage 3-4 oz of chicken, but I can eat more of non dense food like salad, chili and the like. Yet I am not eating based on fullness, but satisfaction. It takes a few months to be able to read your body to get an intuition about satisfaction versus edge of fullness. I made a deliberate decision to not eat sliders, extra carbs, starches, etc during the first 6 months to maximize weight loss. And it worked. I lost 100% in 7 months (180 #). Today it is really easy to eat just enough to satisfy, but it took quite a few months to build these habits. These are just some thoughts for your consideration.

No it really doesn't help b/c that is YOUR surgeons recommendations NOT mine. My original question was not how to advance my diet. I was cleared for a soft diet ONE week post op and doing just fine. Thanks anyway.

I would also say that that is a lot of food for that far out. You stomach is still healing and may not be sending you the signals to stop eating fast enough. At three weeks, when I was told to progress with soft foods, I could barely eat one slice of lunch meat with one slice of cheese rolled up.

I'm sure you trust your doctor and that's why you chose them but I would be concerned that they are allowing you to eat all of those things so early out when 99% if us were not allowed to do that. If you are able to eat that much now, how much will you be able to eat at three, six, or nine months? What about at two years? The restriction will decrease over time and you don't want to get to a point where you lose that Portion Control you are looking for.

It never hurts to get a second opinion. And even though you may get lots of opinions on here, another bariatric surgeon may help answer your questions to the scientific extent we are not able to.