Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jogging/running advice needed

After you have a good pair of good running shoes (I use Nike Pegasus), then I would check out Chi Running approach.

http://www.chirunning.com

This is how I learned to run starting back in December 2012. Literally my first run was a 5 k in 28 minutes on my treadmill at 230# ( I am 180# now). Sure, it was hard but I feel chi running made it possible.

The main points of chi running (copied from the site):

"Reduce impact, stay pain-free, and run with confidence. Our ChiWalk-Run program is a great way to get started. By taking short ChiWalking breaks during your runs, you'll easily increase your aerobic-cardio capacity and walk-run the 5K distance in just 8 weeks.

Improve your posture, core strength, and use gravity to make running easier. You don't need killer calves to be a runner. ChiRunning teaches you how to use your large core muscles to move you forward instead of overworking your leg muscles, greatly reducing fatigue and risk of injury. Check out our ChiRunning for Beginners blog for an introduction to the ChiRunning technique.

Make running a fulfilling practice. Learning ChiRunning is an engaging process, so every run gives you the opportunity to discover something new. Our newsletter supports your practice with Chi fitness tips, recipes, and special offers. Sign up here!

- See more at: http://www.chirunning.com/what-is-chirunning/beginning-runners/#sthash.XU17wviJ.dpuf"

It really does work and, might I add, brings joy to running. It has helped me run long distances (up to 20 miles at a good pace) and fast (4:30 mile pace for a few miles with 30 seconds rest between miles). Leveraging gravity and practicing the good chi running form allows anyone, even those with injuries or structural imperfections,to run with grace and ease.

I hope it helps.

At what weight did you all start to feel comfortable jogging? I'm just about to break under 300 and have jogged a little in short intervals, and done a few sprints. My knees definitely smart after and the next day. But it's so hard still to figure out where I should push myself and where I should hold back to keep from injury.

Like a number of others mentioned - check out the plan outlined in the couch to 5k. It's a structured program to get your body used to the jarring of running. It'll help to minimize injury from stressing things out too much.

At what weight did you all start to feel comfortable jogging? I'm just about to break under 300 and have jogged a little in short intervals, and done a few sprints. My knees definitely smart after and the next day. But it's so hard still to figure out where I should push myself and where I should hold back to keep from injury.

I didn't start trying to run/jog until very recently. My pre-op weight was 325 and this morning I'm 227.4 (yea!). For myself, my knees couldn't handle any impact either on a treadmill or on the street until I got down to about 235. If it makes your knees hurt I think you should stick with walking and elliptical or a bicycle until you've lost more weight. You could give it a try again every 10lbs or so to see how your body responds. I can't remember the exact ratio but my knee Doc said something like every 10lbs lost of excess body weight is like taking 50lbs of pressure off your knees.

My friend told me to go to coolrunning.com for lots of info. I'm wanting to start also

Fairly new runner (started about 4-5 months ago) have recently gone over the 3 mile mark and can now run 3.75 miles in about 39 minutes. My problem is today when I got back from a run and took off my socks my toe nail was bleeding and the nail feels loose. Any advice from the veteran runners. Should I take a break from running? Just bandage it and persevere through it? Does this mean I need new running shoes? They've been fine up to this point no pain in knees or back or anything like that. If I do need new running shoes any recommendations? thank you for your help.

I would recommend you are fitted professionally for shoes. Typically running shoes are a half size larger than what you normally wear. Also do a regular anti-fungal routine on your feet and shoes. Bandage the toe up, but take it a bit easy so you don't progress the injury further

Edited by karewpah

I would recommend you are fitted professionally for shoes. Typically running shoes are a half size larger than what you normally wear. Also do a regular anti-fungal routine on your feet and shoes. Bandage the toe up, but take it a bit easy so you don't progress the injury further

Thanks, I found a fairly local store called Runners Edge that I plan to go to for some help with a new pair of running shoes. Hopefully this will help.

Thanks, I found a fairly local store called Runners Edge that I plan to go to for some help with a new pair of running shoes. Hopefully this will help.

Well went to the running store and was evaluated by staff member and got Nike Pegasus 30 they felt great in the store and I am looking forward to trying them out tomorrow. The store and staff were great and said I should try them for a few runs and see how they feel and if I am not satisfied I can bring them back within 2 weeks. What a great policy. Thanks again for the good advice.

Awesome! I buy my shoes at a run specific store for that reason. The return policy if they aren't right for me

Im what I call a"wogger" ( a walker/jogger), I started out walking and would pick out a tree or rock a short distance away and jog to that point, ( panting and gasping for breath) and do that every few hundred yards of a 1.5 mile trail. I kept at it and have now proudly have ran the whole thing without stopping , and not panting ! Woohoo !!!! I love running ! !!! Also, while I did, nt go to a specialty running store I was incredibly lucky to find the perfect running shoes for me. Nike brand, at Penneys, they have a thick gel insole pad that cushions my poor feet as I run. Love them !

Not to freak you out or discourage you from running, but i just dislocated my knee and told the other is on the way when i took up running. I was really excited cause i could run a 5k for the first time in my life but then it popped right out...