Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you are thinking about getting the lap-band, it's a big decision and one you need to think about carefully. I wish I had done more research before I got mine and perhaps I would have gone somewhere other than Slimband.

There's so much going on at Slimband that it's scary. It's a company that just wants your money. Once your payments clear, they'll drop you. It's happened to lots of us already. They will actually refer to you as a client because that's all you are to them.

They are also very secretive which means you can't have any trust in them in terms of the care you will get post-surgery. If you ask questions you will likely go ignored for a long time. There is absolutely NO TRANSPARENCY!

If you run into problems, and I mean serious problems, that are dangerous, they are sometimes not taken seriously. There article below mentions a lawsuit that occurred and trust me when I say, I've heard other horrible and terrifying stories/experiences as well.

They fire or force their staff to resign. Last May, pretty much all their staff were let go. Now, with very few staff, there is not a lot of support and people have to pay for treatments that they were told they wouldn't have to.

They will cut you off from services with no notice and they will say they are not required to give you such notice.

Please consider another company. Slimband has gotten too big. It is a company that wants your money and will do whatever they can to get you signed up for surgery. They will use a sales pitch that is hard to ignore and they have even signed up people who don't qualify for the procedure. If you look at any place online, the lap band should only be given to those who are at least 100 pounds overweight. I know of an individual who was 190lbs and who only had to lost 30 pounds to be at their target weight.

Dr. Patrick Yau resigned last week for the mistreatment of patients. He was an absolutely horrible person. And I know that he is no longer apart of Slimband but he was the Chief Surgeon for a long time at Slimband. During his time with them, he was a horrible physician and I question any company who would let such a doctor treat their patients for as long as he did.

If I had to go through this all again, I would have likely gotten a gastric bypass. Although more involved, it's free and much more successful in terms of results.

There are other places that you can get the lap band from. I'd say go anywhere but Slimband. Do your research.

This is unfortunate and good for you for spreading the word.. I hope anyone considering using them will look into their practice further. This process is difficult enough without worrying about whether your post op care will be good.

I found SWLC and Dr Coburn in Mississauga to be top notch

I was banded 3 weeks ago, and I'm so glad that I did not go with Slimband. I was really considering them, but then I spoke to a few people and did my research. I had an uneasy feeling about them, especially Dr. Yau. It was honestly hard to find any positive comments about him online. What happened to the lady in the National Post article was frightening. I went with SWLC in Mississauga. Everything I had read about Dr. Cobourn was very positive, and when I met him I liked him immediately. I feel sorry for the patients of Slimband, and the way they are being treated.

Glad I never called Slimband and went right to Smart Shape in Mississauga.

I called and talked to the people at Slimband. They talk a good sales pitch. They talked of quick weight loss, and were very sympathetic to my weight struggles. There was very little talk about after care. I did some research and found the after care is almost more important than the surgery itself.

I decided to call SWLC in Mississauga. The people there answered my initial questions and sent me info via email and requested that I talk to Dr Cobourn before I make my final decision. Dr. Cobourn told it like it is...no instant weight loss, no miracle cure. He told me about the risks, how things can go wrong if the patient doesn't follow instructions etc. He quizzed me on my health condition and why I wanted the surgery.

I had my surgery there in January. The clinic offers many webinars on the band, nutrition, support groups, etc. The team answers emails and phone calls quickly. They are eager to get their patients on the right track. If you are confused, they will set you straight. Understandably, they cannot give medical advise over the phone unless it is directly related to the band, found that out this past week. (thank lawyers for that one).

Do your research before any surgery. Medical Tourism can be dangerous. Include your family physician before you go ahead with the surgery-you will need their support too.

This is good for people to know and we do Thank putting it out there and on here How ever remember tot that it was slim band and NOT Lap band please, as we are banded people ,but this is a great post for people to know so they don't go there or any other slim band offices in any area or state.

Wow. It's terrible that you've had such a bad experience with your surgeon, who is supposed to be your biggest support. Well done for spreading the word.

I am on my way to Toronto next Monday to see one of the doctors that Slimband says I am his patient. He as no idea who I am his office says there are a lot of patients being sent to see him that have literally been dumped off to him.I was banned in 2010 the band worked for 14 months then broke and was replaced and was not filled enough to give any restriction looking back I think it never did work after several fills and finally I paid a doctor to defill only to find it EMPTY so I was told my contract was over after 4 years I have a 5 year add in my file which will not expire until end of 2015,so off I go to find out what the hell is going on. I will be contacting a lawyer and if I can gather enough folks we will go for a class action, since the company is located in France that supplies the band it should be an experience but I for one will not let this rest sixteen thousand dollars is not a drop in any one bucker.

Does anyone have a lawyer? Has anyone been in contact with the media? I have sent a message and will be exposing them, If you would like to stand up with me and show this company we have had enough please email me. jmmoss1979@hotmail.com