Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello peeps from a 'new' 12/2013 sleever :-)

Greetings from Gaffney, SC! I apologize in advance for being long winded, but as this is my first post, I'm not quite sure how to start.

My name is Lori, and I had my vertical sleeve gastrectomy on 12/31/2013. This is my New Year, New Body, New Spirit pledge and the first new step of what has thus far been a whirlwind journey of self-discovery.

My first weight loss journey began for me in late adolescence, the first of my sputtering-start-and-stop efforts at weight loss, all valiant though alas temporary. Back then I knew so little of just how the deck was stacked against me. Even college, medical school, and residency did little to advance my understanding of bariatrics.

Take a wild guess at how many hours of education I received in nutrition counseling and Bariatric treatment options in medical school ... NONE!!! That's right... As I faced my own struggles, my colleagues either remarked, 'when is your baby due?' [i have never been pregnant] , or, closer to my WLS date, one remarked, 'why don't you just diet and exercise?!' [gee, never thought of THAT before!].... Grrr!

So I decided from there on to tell only two folks - my husband, who has thankfully been an awesome supporter, and my office manager (who's great at keeping me on track in the workplace.)

Since 1/1/14, I've never looked back! Yes, it's been hard at times - mostly in trying to eat and drink ENOUGH! Wow, feeling full, quite a foreign, but welcome, concept for me!

I've lost a total (from highest weight) of 44.5 lbs. I can breathe easier, I have tons more energy, and can shop off the rack at clothing stores. But my biggest 'non-scale victory' has been wearing my wedding rings again. !!! (Hadn't fit in 5 yrs).

And now I am dealing with all that emotional 'stuff' that I'd previously 'stuffed down with food'. Yeowzahs! Good thing I hired a therapist in advance! The shocker for me is not quite recognizing my own reflection in the mirror some days... On some bleary eyed mornings I've actually startled myself !

And though I am losing weight at a good rate, that self-critical little voice sometimes sneers at me, 'who do you think you're kidding?! What makes you think this will work long term?! '. I wish I knew how to banish that little twerp from my self-dialogue permanently!!!

I am looking forward to getting to know you, my brothers and sisters in this journey, those who can truly relate to the ups and downs of life after sleeve. Tour tips, tricks , and thoughts are welcome!

God's peace,

Lori

Welcome to the group! Enjoyed reading your message and glad to see that you are doing well. We all have that little negative voice inside our heads at times. Just tell her that you are going to show her this time! You will find this to be a great group who is really supportive.