Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just played my first round of golf post surgery. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to put the same weight into my swing, etc. Silly, I know but that's the type of stuff that goes through my head.

Have to report that golf is much easier with less weight. Besides the fact that the weight loss had no negative effects on my game, there was a bunch of little stuff that made the whole experience more enjoyable. Not having my shirt go all untucked every swing, not sweating like a pig, not feeling like I was climbing Everest every time I walked up to an elevated green, not having my thigh smooch against the side rail in the golf cart we're all welcomed improvements.

I'm still a hacker like before but a much happier one....

Have you guys played post surgery?

How long did you wait? It's still cold up here in the north, but I'm itching to play.

I'm interested to know how long you waited also. I am also very worried about hitting the ball as far. My husband says I'm going to lose some of my power. I am 3 weeks post op. I hope I can try to swing the club at 6 or 8 weeks.

First time I played was ~12 weeks post opp. Would have been physically ready at 6-8 weeks, but it just didn't have an opportunity to play....

Funny thought about the power. Most pro golfers anre quite thin but generate massive power. I just had it in my head that putting weight behind the ball somehow helped!

I am getting sleeved tomorrow. I hope the recovery goes well.......I booked a golf trip for 10 weeks out. I am a single digit player and I am hoping the weight loss also drops a few strokes from my handicap. You guys think 10 weeks is safe?

I am 3 weeks out and have already been to the range. Have already lost a good chunk of weight and found that I had to adjust my stance and swing a little to compensate.

Michael

I am getting sleeved tomorrow. I hope the recovery goes well.......I booked a golf trip for 10 weeks out. I am a single digit player and I am hoping the weight loss also drops a few strokes from my handicap. You guys think 10 weeks is safe?

You'll be fine at 10 weeks.

One bit of advice -- find something healthy to eat that goes down easy for the course -- Quest bars or bananas work well for me. You're not going to be able to swing by the snack shop and wolf down a hot dog at the turn or cram down a sandwich between holes!

How about those 100 calorie almond packs? Also, do you find that the lack of carbs causes any weakness or endurance issues towards the end of rounds?

You'll be fine at 10 weeks.

One bit of advice -- find something healthy to eat that goes down easy for the course -- Quest bars or bananas work well for me. You're not going to be able to swing by the snack shop and wolf down a hot dog at the turn or cram down a sandwich between holes!

How about those 100 calorie almond packs? Also, do you find that the lack of carbs causes any weakness or endurance issues towards the end of rounds?

Those would probably work well. The main idea is to find something healthy, easy to eat and portable on not relying on the cart girl.

As for the carbs / energy part of your question, honestly I just don't see that as an issue. I know it seems like you'll be running your body on fumes, but doing activities without the weight equivalent of a large suitcase tied to your back makes everything way easier, at least for me.....

I too am a rabid golfer, got 36 holes in this weekend. I am getting sleeved in 10 days and am worried that I will miss the rest of the golf season. I hope that I will be able to play sometime in July. Is this realistic? I also am looking forward to being able to walk 18 holes without being a sweaty mess at the end of the round. I am also looking forward to being able to find raingear in my size as well as the nice golf clothes that they don't make for the 400lbs. club. I am guessing the weight loss will alter my swing, but hopefully for the better. I am currently a 10 handicap and would love to get into the single digits!

So I had the sleeve on feb24th. We had a long crappy winter up here. I went to an indoor simulator about 3 or 4 weeks post op. You shouldn't have any physical problems at all swinging or playing. I was down about 40 lbs at that point (so in between December golf and the simulator session) and it was a drastic change in my swing . I'm not going to lie to you......losing weight rapidly has been very challenging to my swing. I always had a powerful compact swing......single digit player. After the weight loss, the swing plane was all over the place. The swing path was tough to adjust to. And not having the extra mass on the weight transfer really zapped the power from my swing. I had range sessions where I was hitting full shanks ....and when I did hit them flush they went nowhere. I found my SS to be down about 8 mph. I have been playing through the funk for about 3 months now and I am just getting back to some good form. I don't know that a high handicapper would see the same results but this is my story. NOW....the good.....I can walk anytime anywhere 18 holes and not even elevate my pulse......I can buy the coolest clothes and look like "that guy" now. I even went to a normal shoe size.....no extra wides.

This is all great. I have always been that big guy, but since adding more weight over the years, my swing became more and more awkward and became pushing the ball far far right!!! I hope that my weight loss will correct that and I can start playing a lot more! FORE!!!!