Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What size bougie was used?

I have trust in my surgeon as well but I like to be informed.

me too lol only reason I asked him was after reading posts on here and freaking myself out. You might be able to find out by requesting your medical records. When I asked him I felt like a hillbilly cause I called it a boogie then he grinned and I said ummm bogie? He corrected me and said it's actually a boozshe lol

That is hilarious! I plan on inquiring about it at my 6 week follow up. I am not overly concerned but I would like to see what information he provides me with.

Edited by Belladonna723

I asked my doc prior to surgery..he made me feel at ease by saying he makes the sleeves as small as possible but still keeping in mind that not too small to where if there was a leak or complications later on..that there would be just enough excess to safely repairif need be.

35 French. My surgeon told me that in my initial consult.

During my consultation I brought up strictures as one my concerns. He said the larger bougie sizes have less of a chance of developing a stricture.

I don’t know and i don’t care honestly lol
I know they all pretty much go along the same lines as a guide they have to due to blood vessels etc
I know the size of the sleeve you end up with really doesn’t have a baring on what size guide they use but on the initial size of your stomach going in.
And I know my doc also reinforced my staples with stitches.
I’m good with mine I don’t need to know.

It's just something I was curious about. Obviously i trust my medically trained surgeon to make the call, I was just wondering if I was going to see a common number. My surgeon said he'd likely use a 36, but he said he had to wait until he got in there to make a final decision. He said sometimes people go in (often other surgeons or their spouses) so he'd do whatever... It's just one of those things where curiosity of the unknown and probably focusing attention on something that ultimately doesn't matter so I don't freak myself out about surgery.

My surgeon says he uses a 40 French.

I was concerned about this, but I kept forgetting to ask my surgeon. On the day or surgery, I was speaking w/ the resident who would be assisting and she said he typically used a 60. I was a bit freaked out - and told her that seemed way to big to me. That I wanted something smaller. I reiterated to my surgeon when he came in that I really wanted something tight. They said they would look at my anatomy when they were in there and make a safe decision.

He ended up using a 34. Since I am so tall, I am able to eat more than other people because my sleeve is pretty long - I think this is why they were ok going with a smaller bougie. Even though I can eat a bit more (1/2 - 3/4 cup depending on the food), I am very happy with the size of it.

I feel like I can almost be normal -- I have to eat out with work colleagues and clients and it would be very akward if I could only have a bit or two rather than just a small portion like i have now.

How can I find out what size my doctor used. I think I have a big stomach. I can eat so much more than the other people on here say they eat. I have to watch every bite and count every calorie.

You can ask your doctor and they will tell you. Really, it makes no difference unless it's size 60 French LOL. Don't obsess over it. The doctor makes the decision based on your individual size, etc. too small and you can have stricture complications. Too large and your restriction is not as tight. However, this is pretty rare with modern sleeves done today. Most range from 30 to 40 french.

It is pronounced "boo-zhee" as another poster noted.

I have a 32 French, I asked surgeon immediately after I woke up and 3 bites is all I am good for! I wished mine were a little looser so I could at least feel a little normal.

My surgeon also pointed out it also depends on how tight the stomach was made with sutures. It's some pretty complicated stuff. Fascinating.

My surgeon used a 38 french bougie. I haven't had any issues, so I guess it doesn't matter to me! lol

I asked prior to surgery and my surgeon told me he uses a 40 French. I have had no issues at all.