Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Governor Chris Christie and the Lap-Band

Governor Chris Christie and the Lap-Band  

150 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the issue?

• He failed because his BMI of 45 keeps him in the morbidly obese category.
    • He is doing great because of his 100-pound weight loss in a year.
    • It’s too soon to tell. He’ll fail if he doesn’t lose any more weight or gains it back, but the surgery will be a success if he keeps losing weight.
    • I really can’t give an opinion – I do not know anything about him or his diet, and I would not want people to judge me if they didn’t know me.
    • Other – Read my answer in the discussion!

Amount of weight has no bearing if the person is dedicated to making a lifestyle change...

This is true. It's just the mantra that's spewed by surgeons who try to sell their personal choice of surgery. If you say something enough people will believe it.

You know Sandy the funny thing is I was told by my weight center that they would prefer people do not get banded anymore because of the amount of aftercare required and the amount of failure due to non compliance. I find it rather sad that Surgeon's cannot be bothered. They're almost as bad as non complaint patients. What's is even more sadder is they still offer the band even with that attitude because they don't want to turn away the money from people who are set on being banded.

Amount of weight has no bearing if the person is dedicated to making a lifestyle change...

This is true. It's just the mantra that's spewed by surgeons who try to sell their personal choice of surgery. If you say something enough people will believe it.

You know Sandy the funny thing is I was told by my weight center that they would prefer people do not get banded anymore because of the amount of aftercare required and the amount of failure due to non compliance. I find it rather sad that Surgeon's cannot be bothered. They're almost as bad as non complaint patients. What's is even more sadder is they still offer the band even with that attitude because they don't want to turn away the money from people who are set on being banded.

Nice to see an honest reply from a doctor as to why the band isn't recommended any longer.

I know right? My doctor says the band has gotten a bad rap and it's a combination between noncompliant bandsters, people looking for an immediate fix and not finding it and doctors who don't want to bother with the educating and upkeep. He says he still thinks the band is the best tool available but there are a lot out there with the sleeve-and-leave-it attitude. He also said that it was surprising how many sleeves and bypass recipients come to him asking if the band will help them because their surgery hasn't worked like they thought it would. Go figure.

I know right? My doctor says the band has gotten a bad rap and it's a combination between noncompliant bandsters, people looking for an immediate fix and not finding it and doctors who don't want to bother with the educating and upkeep. He says he still thinks the band is the best tool available but there are a lot out there with the sleeve-and-leave-it attitude. He also said that it was surprising how many sleeves and bypass recipients come to him asking if the band will help them because their surgery hasn't worked like they thought it would. Go figure.

I wonder why he's surprised that sleeve and bypass folks ask about the band. None of these surgeries are miracles...you have to be compliant and work the program regardless. I'm sure it's easier for the surgeons to do the sleeves and bypasses but they are in no way superior to the band. I know what the literature said when I was investigating WLS....expect to lose 60% of your excess weight with the band. So I did the math and that was only about 75 lbs. max. I needed to lose at least that much if not more. So I got banded because it was the least invasive of the procedures and would lose as much weight as I could. I didn't do anything crazy afterwards...I just kept my calorie count around 1,100 daily. And...I did almost no exercise because of the hips. Yet I lost 117 lbs. and hit goal.

I know that the band does for me what it's supposed to. I do not get hungry like I used to. I am not starving and when I'm done eating, I feel enough satisfaction to allow me to eat less...alot less. It's really just that simple. You have to fight the head hunger but it's just that...head hunger. I know the difference between actual hunger and head hunger and I do what's appropriate for each of them.

100 Lbs in 2 years is great! In one year is phenomenal! Good for him. :)

How on earth would you band after bypass??? Just asking....

Not sure, so I googled it..they do it

Band over Bypass...BoB

I think he got surgery just because of politics. I doubt he'll stick to a diet (he should've lost more than he already has) after the next election cycle in 2016.

How much will YOU have lost in a year??? How can you say he should have already lost more than he has?? What makes you think he has his surgery "just because of politics"??

I've already lost 79 pounds and its only been 10 weeks, so I am pretty sure losing over 100 is a given unless I become paralyzed and they hook me up to an IV of liquified cheetos.

The other questions are just too stupid to answer to. Anyone with half a brain that follows politics knows what happened when he was vetted for Vice President in the 2012 election.

Whatever reason got him to pull the trigger is OK by me.

Just wish more people were interested in raising other people up, instead of tearing them down. Focus more on what we have in common, rather than spotlight and hate the differences.