Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nothing Works Anymore

Hi! I need some group input please....

Banded almost 4 years ago. Lost 136 lbs in the first year - just below my goal weight. Sat there for two years fine and then I loosened my band to have a Tummy Tuck last year. (Gained 12 lbs in the time my band was loosened and in the 3 month recovery time). Since then, I cannot lose a pound. The following are completely accurate stats and I need some input from you all please ;)

I work out 6 days a week pretty hard. I usually run for about 45 minutes and lift weights daily, sometimes adding a kickboxing class. I use Body Media which has my BMR at 1450 calories (which matches what my test showed, 1500 calories). Body Media shows me at about an average of 3,000 total calories burned per day (2800 - 3250)

I get 75-90 grams of Protein in per day and eat less than 65 grams of carbs.

Lately my caloric intake ranges from 800-1100 calories per day. Doc says eat less and I will lose weight. Honestly, it takes every single Fiber of my being to eat 800 calories when I am working out (when I wasn't after the surgery, it was easy).

Band feels good. It's tight, I am not overeating and there are definitely things I can't eat, like bread, etc.

WTH is going on? I have read over and over that maybe I should eat more, but how can that be? I am pretty sure when my band was loose and I wasn't going to the gym, I was eating 1500 calories a day (and gained the 12 lbs).

I am feeling pretty confused and frustrated right now. I just want 10 pounds gone so I can be back at goal and live there forever. I just have no idea what is going on with my body. Today's weigh in puts me at the exact same weight I was in September when I went back to working out hard core. I can lose 4 lbs and they just come back.

HELP.

You know the old saying that if you keep doing the same thing and expect different results? I think it also applies to metabolism.

I always found that increasing my caloric intake by about 500 calories for a weekend and changing up my exercise routine caused my body to react differently. Theoretically, your body leaves the starvation mode behind which increases your metabolism and doing something different exercise wise, works different muscles making your body try to repair the muscle fibers you tore down.

Sometimes I'll just go an extra hour on my bike or try to hit some hills really hard and that breaks down more muscle which makes your body try to mend.

Also, if you're exercising as much as you say you are, maybe you're replacing fat with muscle? Do your clothes fit looser?

Wow. It does sound like you've tried just about everything. Only a couple suggestions I can think of:

a. Check with a doctor to make sure there's not some stray testosterone or thyroid issue that is undiagnosed or holding you back

b. Implement green tea (or green tea pills) and chromium

c. Make sure you're changing your exercises up. Back when I was in shape, I used to get on the bike five days a week, until a trainer reminded me to shake it up so my muscles didn't get used to that. After that, I alternated between the bike, the treadmill, and the stairmaster, and rested two days a week (but never consecutive)

Best of luck, I'm sure even with 6 extra lbs you still look pretty great!

I'm old school...and agree with your Dr...if you want to loose weight, then eat less....

If you had to eat more to loose weight, then everyone would be skinny...

I was once told by a Dr...I was fat because I ate too much...don't eat so much and you'll loos the eight...it's that simple...calories in versus calories burned...

For me, one of the most liberating things was when I finally stopped worrying about counting calories, carbs, etc...only thing I pay attention to is daily Protein...

I have no idea what my daily calories count is...but it has to be very low....

And on a average day, what I eat is so much less than what I used to eat before I was banded...some days I don't eat at all and have to remind myself to....

I go to the gym everyday...before 6am, on a empty stomach...never had issues with energy....sometimes I will take a shot of Protein, but that's it....

I have body analysis done every now and then just to check...and my body fat % is low, in the athletic range, and my muscle mass is holding steady...in other words I have lost all the weight that is possible....it is finished. Anything more and it would not be fat...and be unhealthy.

I read posts here all the time how complicated and scientific people make this....it makes my head spin...and yet they are not loosing successfully and without a struggle....

For me..it has always been simple...eat less to loose more...cannot control your eating? Then surgery will take care of that...simple....at least that is for me....

And sprinkle it with some exercise and you're home free....

But everyone has to find they're own "Groove"...what makes them successful is all that matters.

Edited by B-52

Maybe you need a higher Protein intake. If I clear 100+ grams of protein especially on days I workout hard (burn 1000-1600 depending on what I do) and net around 1700 good calories for the day I lose "weight". For me the only # I am after is 198 my goal for surgery. But I am still losing body fat and gaining muscle. It's just a process of finding what works best for you and ruling out any subsequent medical conditions. I also take alot of Vitamin supplements. That helps me.

I agree with carb cycling

Thanks everyone.

I like the carb cycling idea but I don't have a clue what I would eat... sweet potatoes?

I had all my labs checked and they are pretty normal - a little high on prolactin.

I did read two interesting things today. One was a completed study on post-bariatric patients about metabolism. It said that metabolism slow more dramatically for bariatric patients who get to goal and that the only way to combat that is working out - quite vigorously, and weight lifting. Make sense.

The other thing I read about is an ongoing clinical trial for ephedrine and coffee, where they are testing if post-bariatric patients benefit from this combination as they get to goal. Results have not been released yet.

I feel desperate. 1200 calories burned at the gym this morning, 425 consumed (should get to about 750 today). Weight? Up two pounds this week. Nice.

Here's some info about Carb Cycling... http://chrispowell.com/carb-cycling-101/ Chris and Heidi Powell have a lot of info on their websites, and Heidi has lots of good recipes that fit into Carb Cycling nicely. Best Wishes :)

I did read two interesting things today. One was a completed study on post-bariatric patients about metabolism. It said that metabolism slow more dramatically for bariatric patients who get to goal and that the only way to combat that is working out - quite vigorously, and weight lifting. Make sense.

Interesting, although I guess from the body' point of view it would make sense, as it's sensing it's close to it's destination and wants to stay at that ideal weight. Do you happen to have a link to that study? I'd like to read it.

Sorry about the lack of weight loss, that would discourage me too. From what I see in the pictures you look really great. I could suggest Curves for Women--I had done that awhile back when I was within 10 lbs of goal on Weight Watchers. I know when I stuck with it it seemed to help and have fat burning exercises tailored for female fitness.

I always like to keep things simple and practical. The closer you get to your goal weight the harder it is to lose the final few Ibs. I agree, take a look at your clothing,, are you happy how they feel and fit. If so perhaps refocus your assessment on measurements rather than the scales.

I personally I rarely weigh clients in the clinic. I always get them to be guided by the same outfit, with the ultimate goal for it to become too big to wear.

In addition, I always recommend a food dairy for 1 week in this case. I have not met anyone who has not achieved weight loss by doing this. Recently a client who only lost 2 kgs in 3 weeks, suddenly lost 10kg in 3 kg by keeping a food diary and emailing me daily.

If this is too time consuming, you can then use a plate diary. What I mean by is that all food must be eaten off a plate sitting a table or bench doing no other activity. This is called mindful eating.

Let me know how you go

Cheers

Helen Bauzon

Dietitian

I agree with Helen. I recently started using My Fitness Pal, and I've been doing better since then, it seems to put everything in perspective for me, and seeing the added benefit of adding exercise is a motivator for me. My surgeon tells me if I get stuck in a plateau, it means I need to change something up... like a different exercise. She said we have to work different groups of muscles etc... and I think the same is true for diet... varying your diet too, that's why I think Carb Cycling works :)

Hi - checking back in. Same issues, nothing has helped.

Starting seeing the nutritionist in my surgeon's office last week. She did the BMR test and it shows my basal rate to be 1800 calories. So that is reasonably accurate. She says I need to eat more, and more meaning more complex carbs. I signed a contract with her -promising to increase my daily caloric intake to 1200-1400 calories and get more than 100grams of carbs. It has been such a struggle that I am honestly thinking I might have an eating disorder :) But, I have complied. I have felt a little more energetic and I think I am more hydrated in general but... you guessed it.... I gained a pound. I go tomorrow to see her again so we will see what she says. If she wants me to each more or continue eating this amount, I will need my band loosened.

I wore my body media armband yesterday. Here's my numbers... which are pretty normal for me:

Calories burned: 3204

Calories consumed: 1292

Protein: 69 grams

Carbs: 127 grams

Fiber: 13 grams

Total Fat: 52 grams

I feel like I am at the end of my rope.

My 950 calorie day was generally:

Protein: 63 grams

Carbs: 54 grams

Fiber: 9 grams

Total Fat: 44 grams

On April 28th, I have hit a year at the same weight, exact same weight, while eating 900-1100 calories per day and exercising for at least an hour 5 days a week. JEEZZZZ

What's your percent body fat? Get that checked. Maybe you do now have more muscle than when you were at goal.

Can you wear the clothes from when you were at goal?

I didn't do the math from your examples but there is the thought of 40-40-20 Protein, carbs, and fats. Are your fats more than 20% of your daily intake.

And switch up your exercise. Your body does get used to it. Even though strength or resistance training doesn't burn as many calories per session the muscle gained is very beneficial.

Good luck!