Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Were you banded at TLBC? (Toronto Lap-Band Centre) - pre 2008

Hello, I was banded in November of 2011 and had complications for years. Slimband kept telling me my band was in the correct spot after they reviewed my upper GI. Turns out my upper GI, showed the band was placed to high and I had NO gastric pouch. So I was living in pain all the time, and they were lying to me the entire time. They are still making me pay for this band, even though it has been removed!! Don't go to SLIMBAND, they don't care about people, they only care about money.

I was banded Mar/07. As you all know we can no longer recive care from Slimband. I have been advised to make a report to The College of Physicians. That they take these complaints very seriously & will take action far quicker then a class action suit against TLBC, Slimband or Dr. Yau'. Anyone wanting to take this route can do so online.

I was banded back in 2004 by Yau & Dr Joffe. I just found out that Slimband no longer provides care, and Yau is no returning my calls. I want in on any class action law suit that may be in the works. I've developed major complications with the band and simply don't want to pay any more for fixing it! Any recommendations? thanks!

I too will be making a complaint to the College of Physicians about Dr. Yau's practices. I also am talking with a lawyer who is interested in pursuing a class action but needs to hear from more people in the same situation - from the TLBC/Dr. Yau and no longer treating his patients now that it is slimband. If you are interested please respond.

Dr Yau is still seeing his patients. I got a referral sent to his office in Scarborough and have had an appointment with him.

I too will be making a complaint to the College of Physicians about Dr. Yau's practices. I also am talking with a lawyer who is interested in pursuing a class action but needs to hear from more people in the same situation - from the TLBC/Dr. Yau and no longer treating his patients now that it is slimband. If you are interested please respond.

I have recently learned about Slimband's absolute abandonment of the previous TLBC patients. I did reach out to Dr.Yau and he spoke to me personally on the phone. He requested a doctor's referral letter so I could have an appointment with him. I recently have experienced a sudden loss of restriction with my band, (which previously has worked fantastically for almost 7 years). I have no pain, no vomitting but very little restriction...I can eat almost as much as I used to eat. The fact is, I need the band to provide that STOP! If I could do this on my own, I would have and saved myself surgery, lots of money, and effort. I am confident Dr.Yau will be able to get to the bottom of it. He was quite helpful and did not at any point suggest that he would not treat me. He was very professional and reasonable. My appointment is next week and I will provide an update of what happens. In the meantime, I'm waiting to see how my appointment goes before I contact the college of physicians or join the others in investigating legal options. At the end of the day, Slimband took over the TLBC patients and should be held accountable, I am not sure how Dr. Yau fits into all of this because my contract is with TLBC. We shall see, fingers crossed!

If you were banded under TLBC (now Slimband) you might have heard that we are no longer getting the life long support system we signed up for. In fact, we now have to pay for any sort of support (fills, defills, access to a nutritionist) we might need, except for defills.

Myself and several other (8) are looking for other TLBCer's who are upset by this situation.

Please email me ASAP with your story, questions or concerns.

Kat

Hi Kat, I'm not sure how to email you...I am interested in taking action against Slimband. Please let me know how to reach you. Thanks.

Thank you for reaching out. I have reached out to a class action firm but also waiting to hear from others on here that I believe are further along.

Would like to join and would like to explore all options including contacting the college of physicians. I am no legal expert so not sure if we have a case or not. Please post any updates. Thanks.

Dr Yau is still seeing his patients. I got a referral sent to his office in Scarborough and have had an appointment with him.

How did your appointment go? Did he honour the TLBC contract?

Can someone please confirm that the below is Dr. Yau's contact information in Scarborough? If not, can you please provide the correct info?

Address: 4190 Finch Avenue East, Scarborough, ON M1S 4T7

Phone:(416) 291-1900
Thank you.

Edited by Lov2cruz

Success!! Seeing Dr Yau at the end of the month. I will report what he has to say about this whole thing.

Can someone please confirm that the below is Dr. Yau's contact information in Scarborough? If not, can you please provide the correct info?

Address: 4190 Finch Avenue East, Scarborough, ON M1S 4T7

Phone:(416) 291-1900
Thank you.

I was banded at TLBC in July of 2007. My band slipped in October of 2010 and was replaced more than 18 months later. The second band has not worked correctly from the beginning. There was scar tissue from the first band that was causing problems. I had repeated defills until my band was empty. It has now been completely empty for more than16 months. I still struggle to eat and have been given no explanation as to why.

I contacted Slimband to ask about having the band removed. The said I would have to contact Dr. Yau at his private practice. I am not sure I want him to do the surgery so I asked if they could recommended someone else but they refused to do so. I contacted his office and was told that he wouldn't even see me without a referral from my own doctor. I really want nothing to do with him but am exploring my options.

Has anyone had their band removed?

Steve

I was banded in August 2012, and all was good for two weeks, then it all went downhill after that. If there is a class action lawsuit happening I would very much like to be involved. I have already sent a complaint via the P& S of Ontario. I understand there are a number of us that have taken that process.

It seems there are several people talking about class action, and have emailed some and hoping they get back to me.

Sad, how this company has been with their patients. Curious as to how it will affect our provincial health care, since most of us went to Ontario to have this procedure completed, and so our health care providers covered for a portion.

Thank you again.