Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2014 pre-op group

Hello All,

My surgery date is in April 28th. I am taking one week off. My doctor requires one day liquid diet which is before surgery . I need to lose 5-10 pounds it's not easy. My Nutritionist had everyone on a 2 shake a day for Breakfast /lunch ,2 yogurts for snack a day, and dinner is one piece of meat and greens. It's so hard. I feel like I'm starving. Headaches are being to come. I have my good and bad days. Today is a good day.

How is Everyone else doing?

My preop diet is

Breakfast potien shake

snack 16-24oz Water and/or sugafree liquid Jello etc

lunch Lean protien 2cups raw veggie or 1 cup steamed no added fats

Snack protien shake

dinner Lean protien 2cups raw veggie or 1 cup steamed no added fats

Snack sugarfree liquid and/or water

Extra protien shake if needed.

Finished my appt and will be submitted to insurance by weeks end for approval! Yay!!!!!

Yeah, I am starting to get some jitters about it. I'll be sitting there thinking about it and my heart will start racing a little! I know that everything will be ok though!

How about you, any jitters or anything?

Yeah definitely have some jitters! I know it will be okay but I'm a single mom so it makes me nervous! Every once in awhile I have to remind myself why I'm doing it!

Incorporating the preop diet into my work schedule will be interesting too! I just want it to be post op already! :)

Anyone in this group from CT?

Having VSG on April 29th with Dr. Walton in Oklahoma City!

Okay soooo, I don't have an official date yet but my dummy date is April 22nd pending Cigna approval. The more I read the more I worry that I'm not strong enough for this life long journey. I'm excited but scared as all get out.

I was so confused about all this "pre-op" diet talk so I called my nutritionist. I guess every person and every program is different. My doc isn't having me do a liquid diet or anything, but in the program I've been in since December I have had to log every bite I eat and sip I take. They slowly get us to work on making changes in our eating habits (the 25 Healthy Habits), and we see the nutritionist at least three times (2-4 weeks in between each visit) and she doesn't clear us until she sees a real change in our eating choices. We don't keep track of calories- Portion Control is not the focus because obviously the surgery takes care of that. What they focus on is the type of food consumed (low sugar, low fat, plenty veggies, etc), making sure you get enough grams of Protein and oz of Water daily. Because of this for most patients they don't do a pre-op diet.

I was so confused about all this "pre-op" diet talk so I called my nutritionist. I guess every person and every program is different. My doc isn't having me do a liquid diet or anything, but in the program I've been in since December I have had to log every bite I eat and sip I take. They slowly get us to work on making changes in our eating habits (the 25 Healthy Habits), and we see the nutritionist at least three times (2-4 weeks in between each visit) and she doesn't clear us until she sees a real change in our eating choices. We don't keep track of calories- Portion Control is not the focus because obviously the surgery takes care of that. What they focus on is the type of food consumed (low sugar, low fat, plenty veggies, etc), making sure you get enough grams of Protein and oz of Water daily. Because of this for most patients they don't do a pre-op diet.

That is similar to what my doc did. I cut down to 1,000 calories-from 1,200 for the 2 weeks leading up! I'm April 7, when are you?

I'm not required to do a preop diet either. They just said low fat.

I think it really depends on the bariatric surgeon/hosp/patient/type of procedure. My Dr put me on 12 days preop and another person I over heard was 3days and some none..the reason for preop is to ensure your liver is small enough for the surgeon to get to the stomach. I was told if they open you laprascopic and your liver is not small enough you will have to have an open procedure which is cutting down your stomach. The facility im using is a center for excellence facility. I actually am doing extra days preop just to make sure! Lol my nutritionist also went over all diets we will be on how to eat and I was practicing alot of the habits for last 6 months.

What procdure are you having? Im having RNY bypass.

No pre-op diet for me. I am having a conversion from band to bypass. I really think the pre-op diet is dependent on your surgeon. I did not have to do it for the band either.