Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aloha all,

I'm relatively new to this site and have just started my VSG journey, so I thought this might be a good first post. I've completed the informational session and have my initial consultation and NUT appointments at the end of March. According to the nurse at the info session, this doctor requires a minimum of two months nicotine-free (using the honor system) in order to be eligible for surgery. Due to some scheduling coordination issues, I plan to have the VSG in July, so I've got plenty of time to quit and still have two months before the surgery.

My question to you fine folks is this: is anyone else in this same position? Anyone trying to quit? I'm on my third quit attempt in four days, and each time I tell myself it'll be my last. I've read through all of Allen Carr's Stop Smoking the EASYWay as well as a lot of articles on whyquit.com. Despite all of this intellectual knowledge, I'm still finding it incredibly difficult to quit. I think right now I'm a victim of what the website calls "cue-induced cravings", and I'm trying my best to overcome them.

So, anyone else trying to quit and succeeding? Or trying to quit and need someone to chat with? I'm open to discussing our journeys here or via private messaging. Just wanting to throw the topic out there and see what others are experiencing.

--Josh

Good luck! I used the book to quit about 4 years ago. Glad I never have to do it again! I use the tools a lot now to deal with food cravings. So worth it!

try vaping. Vapor cigs with no nicotine or very very low nicotine. Works for a lot of ppl! You must not smoke though. It will impede your healing, increase your risks of complications.. it is just bad bad bad. Please quit if you plan on having any type of surgery.

try vaping. Vapor cigs with no nicotine or very very low nicotine. Works for a lot of ppl! You must not smoke though. It will impede your healing, increase your risks of complications.. it is just bad bad bad. Please quit if you plan on having any type of surgery.

Can you use gum or Patches?

Thanks for the suggestion. I've used e-cigs for a little bit in the past, but after reading EASYWay, I'm really trying to avoid anything with nicotine so that I can rid my body of the chemical and cravings. I'm afraid if I use 0mg liquid, I'll want the real thing!

I also had to quit it is a rough road man for the first week or so but after that I only got triggered to want to smoke when others would go outside or getting in the car. I did it cold turkey, it sucked, butt I feel far better now than before. I quit 6 months before surgery so Im almost 9 months clear. good luck.

have you considered acupuncture? I know two ppl who quit that way. Worth looking into.

I never thought of that! I'll have to look into it. Thanks!

I also had to quit it is a rough road man for the first week or so but after that I only got triggered to want to smoke when others would go outside or getting in the car. I did it cold turkey, it sucked, butt I feel far better now than before. I quit 6 months before surgery so Im almost 9 months clear. good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement! I knew it would probably suck, but I didn't know it would be as mental of a challenge as it's been!

I used acupuncture and it worked. $50 for 5 visits - all the needles go in the ear. Hope this helps :)

I used acupuncture and it worked. $50 for 5 visits - all the needles go in the ear. Hope this helps :)

Thanks! I'll look into it.

Hi Hawaii Josh

I was told by my surgeon I would need 3mo cigarette free. Of course initially I thought my increasing desire for the surgery would be enough motivation....yea right...after that session I got in my car and lit up. However, as of today I am 19days no cigarettes. I come from smoking a pk daily (Newport 100's) for 10yrs to absolutely nothing expect a craving here and there. My doctor prescribed WellButrin@ 300mgs and if you aren't against medication I would highly recommend trying it. I never thought I would go a day without a cigarette and now I actually can.

I quit smoking using Chantix. Only had to take a month of the prescription then I didn't need it anymore. I'm 9 months out now and only have cravings when I'm drinking at a bar and around other smokers but if I take a pill beforehand I can resist temptation. I highly recommend it despite all the warnings about the side effects I didn't have any. Speak to your doctor about it. I tried everything else and nothing worked except for this.

Hi Hawaii Josh

I was told by my surgeon I would need 3mo cigarette free. Of course initially I thought my increasing desire for the surgery would be enough motivation....yea right...after that session I got in my car and lit up. However, as of today I am 19days no cigarettes. I come from smoking a pk daily (Newport 100's) for 10yrs to absolutely nothing expect a craving here and there. My doctor prescribed WellButrin@ 300mgs and if you aren't against medication I would highly recommend trying it. I never thought I would go a day without a cigarette and now I actually can.

I'm the same way. Although my target date for surgery isn't until July, I thought it would provide the motivation I needed to quit for good. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case so far. I'm down to buying packs instead of cartons, but I keep smoking with the same frequency regardless.

I quit smoking using Chantix. Only had to take a month of the prescription then I didn't need it anymore. I'm 9 months out now and only have cravings when I'm drinking at a bar and around other smokers but if I take a pill beforehand I can resist temptation. I highly recommend it despite all the warnings about the side effects I didn't have any. Speak to your doctor about it. I tried everything else and nothing worked except for this.

Both of you recommended medication, and I'm not opposed to that at all. Unfortunately, my job is. Due to the nature of my work, there is a highly regulated list of what I can and cannot take. Wellbutrin and Chantix are both on the "banned" list, so I don't have those as options to use.

Hey Josh... if you try acupuncture please be sure and let us know how it goes. Best of luck!!!!!