Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

$600 Bariatric Program Fee

It looks like the program fees vary by surgeon office. So far I've seen anywhere from free to $1,000. I'm not happy about my $600 program fee but I'm thanking my bottom dollar it isn't $1,000.

Hi Curvy,

I posted about my fee a couple of weeks ago. I'm in Florida and the surgeon is charging $600... Personally I agree that it is an immediate way to secure non-refundable cash. This "Program Fee," covers 30 days of Vitamins, concierge services (like I can't book my own hotel room), access to a multidisciplinary team (but in actuality doesn't include mandatory nutritional counseling, or the psych eval, just the post-op Nut visit), support group (I live three hours away and think paying for an online support group is ridiculous) and educational material (guess they've forgotten about the internet).

I'm disgusted at this point because the offerings in Florida are slim if I go thru insurance (UHC) due to the requirements of the Bariatric Resource Program purchased by my employer. I'm seriously considering Mexico at this point.

Ally

My 'program fee' will he $750. I'm still feeling a little salty about that since learning their are surgeons who do not require a program fee. But my surgeon does come highly recommended, I've done lots if research and I suppose that's the price I'll have to pay if I want one if the best. I just won't be happy about it LOL

It looks like the program fees vary by surgeon office. So far I've seen anywhere from free to $1,000. I'm not happy about my $600 program fee but I'm thanking my bottom dollar it isn't $1,000.

Hi Curvy,

I posted about my fee a couple of weeks ago. I'm in Florida and the surgeon is charging $600... Personally I agree that it is an immediate way to secure non-refundable cash. This "Program Fee," covers 30 days of Vitamins, concierge services (like I can't book my own hotel room), access to a multidisciplinary team (but in actuality doesn't include mandatory nutritional counseling, or the psych eval, just the post-op Nut visit), support group (I live three hours away and think paying for an online support group is ridiculous) and educational material (guess they've forgotten about the internet).

I'm disgusted at this point because the offerings in Florida are slim if I go thru insurance (UHC) due to the requirements of the Bariatric Resource Program purchased by my employer. I'm seriously considering Mexico at this point.

Ally

What part of florida are you in, I'm in miami, my program feed was $240.

Hi Curvy,

Ally

Hey there alleycat! Yes that's a bummer. I have UHC as well and based on my group coverage the requirements were much less than Aetna whom I had before.

*BMI 40 or 35 with comorbidities

*Complete 6 months in healthy weight program with a minimum of 10 calls with ur healthy weight program coach during that time

*psych eval

*Letter from PCP

*facility where surgery to be performed has to e a 5 star center of excellence.

That wasn't much at all compared to Aetna lol. I've learned in this process to have a lot of patience and accept the fact that thou giveth and thou taketh away. Whatever hoops I have to jump through including shelling out $600 for program fee I'm willing to do. It hit me today that I pay $600 and more for a handbag that essentially I don't need here is a tool I need like the air I breathe yet I'm complaining to the degree I am.

I'd be very uncomfortable with this fee. I would not go to a medical facility if there was a good alternative. My program had no 'fee.' I'm not renting a movie from Blockbuster.

Edited by sleevethefatbehind

Dr. Keith Kim in Kissimmee had a 600 dollar fee for the same services you initially posted. I am submitting a breakdown ledger to my insurance of the fee and my payments. I had them split in two visits totally $600. I have Cigna International and I've heard they reimburse.

Good luck with your procedure!! :)

My daughter went through Dr. Kim @celebration she didn't have that 600 dollar fee.

I just had the sleeve done through ORMC with Dr. Jawad's office. 2/3. I didn't have that fee either.

Maybe it's something new they have started. Good luck.

Hi Curvy,

Ally

Hey Sweet,

I'm in Tampa. There are only three facilities nearby (within 2 hours) that I can go to: Tampa General, Orlando Regional and Ocala Regional.

My daughter went through Dr. Kim @celebration she didn't have that 600 dollar fee.

I just had the sleeve done through ORMC with Dr. Jawad's office. 2/3. I didn't have that fee either.

Maybe it's something new they have started. Good luck.

Grandma,

What were your thoughts about Dr. Jawad? I felt that his practice was a bit "shady." If you make an appointment directly with their office, they schedule you for an initial consultation that consists of a group session, consult with the doc and insurance review with the coordinator. The paperwork includes an acknowledgement that they are going to bill your insurance for the group session (Physician Education) and if it is not covered by your insurance, you are responsible for the $200-$250 fee. The information provided/discussed during the group session is the same info reviewed during the free information sessions at the hospital. Based upon this, I decided not to go with Jawad.

I'm curious to find out about your experience.

Hey there alleycat! Yes that's a bummer. I have UHC as well and based on my group coverage the requirements were much less than Aetna whom I had before.

*BMI 40 or 35 with comorbidities

*Complete 6 months in healthy weight program with a minimum of 10 calls with ur healthy weight program coach during that time

*psych eval

*Letter from PCP

*facility where surgery to be performed has to e a 5 star center of excellence.

That wasn't much at all compared to Aetna lol. I've learned in this process to have a lot of patience and accept the fact that thou giveth and thou taketh away. Whatever hoops I have to jump through including shelling out $600 for program fee I'm willing to do. It hit me today that I pay $600 and more for a handbag that essentially I don't need here is a tool I need like the air I breathe yet I'm complaining to the degree I am.

Hey Curvy,

The letter from my PCP isn't a requirement for me -- thank goodness. I don't know why they make people do that. The reviewers don't even pay attention to it unless it is part of an appeal. I also don't have the telephonic coach requirement either. But, I have to go to a UHC Bariatric Center of Excellence which is causing most of my angst. There are tons of Centers of Excellence in the Tampa Bay area, but only one of them is considered a UHC Bariatric Center of Excellence. Argh....

I'm okay with the NUT counseling and psych eval. I feel like those requirements are beneficial and will help get me on the road to "wellness." I actually had my first "Healthyroads" weight mgmt. coach call two weeks ago. It was..... interesting.

Ally

I'd be very uncomfortable with this fee. I would not go to a medical facility if there was a good alternative. My program had no 'fee.' I'm not renting a movie from Blockbuster.

Love it! I feel the same way, but these Florida docs are a bit cray-cray. Program fees have become the norm in this area. I would feel a whole lot better about them if they actually had some substance.

Alyson

Mine has a $400 program fee.

Mine has $400 fee also. Really not sure what it's actually for. It was not covered by insurance. I had to pay that out of pocket. I can't complain. My Dr. Visits are $15 and my surgery is covered 100 %.

My fee is $295. Must be paid two weeks prior to surgery date. It covers the nutritionists and lifetime meetings.