Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Very Disappointed Lap-Band Patient

I had my lap band surgery nearly 19 months ago. I have lost 23 pounds to date. My band is at 50%. Loosing weight is difficult enough. But when your surgeon refuses to believe in the loyal effort I have put into this Quest, it is nothing short of a monumental discouragement. I am a 'younger' senior, who uses a treadmill for walking. Not walking as in Olympic training, but walking as 'young senior' would walk. I average 2-3 miles of brisk walking 3x per week. The surgeon's attitude/view is to 'step it up some more'. I am at the point where the disappointment is turning into self-lothing. Loosing your medical teams support is a big deal. I no long wish to attend appointments, just to hear his 'you aren't doing'enough' speech.

I have issues with vomiting after eating, he says, I'm eating bites that are too large. If I were doing what I was suppose to do, that wouldn't happen.

I'm not sure why I tell my tale of woe here. I am 5'2" and weigh 226. I have hypertension, high cholesterol, arthritic joints are suffering from added weight and pre-diabetic. I will let the reader decide if my concerns are valid. I'm not sure why I have posted my tale of woe…for what it's worth, I have. Certainly not for pity, perhaps others have experienced a similar situation.

Libby

I had my lap band surgery nearly 19 months ago. I have lost 23 pounds to date. My band is at 50%. Loosing weight is difficult enough. But when your surgeon refuses to believe in the loyal effort I have put into this Quest, it is nothing short of a monumental discouragement. I am a 'younger' senior, who uses a treadmill for walking. Not walking as in Olympic training, but walking as 'young senior' would walk. I average 2-3 miles of brisk walking 3x per week. The surgeon's attitude/view is to 'step it up some more'. I am at the point where the disappointment is turning into self-lothing. Loosing your medical teams support is a big deal. I no long wish to attend appointments, just to hear his 'you aren't doing'enough' speech.

I have issues with vomiting after eating, he says, I'm eating bites that are too large. If I were doing what I was suppose to do, that wouldn't happen.

I'm not sure why I tell my tale of woe here. I am 5'2" and weigh 226. I have hypertension, high cholesterol, arthritic joints are suffering from added weight and pre-diabetic. I will let the reader decide if my concerns are valid. I'm not sure why I have posted my tale of woe…for what it's worth, I have. Certainly not for pity, perhaps others have experienced a similar situation.

Libby

I can't imagine going through this weight loss journey with a doctor who did not support me... Are there other banders who switched doctors or clinics???? Here are a few questions that came to my mind... Are you eating all your Protein? Did you pretty much cut out refined carbohydrates? Are you measuring amounts of good? Are you journaling in a food log? I feel bad that you want to give up... Please consider your health and look into finding a doctor and nutritionist who can help you work your band.

Sorry to hear about all of that....I am only 5 months post surgery so dont have any great words of wisdom except to ask.....is it possible to switch to another doctor in the practice (if there is more than one) or can you find another doctor to help you.

I can only imagine how hard this journey would be if my surgeon was as unsupportive as your sounds to be.

Wishing you luck..let us know how it works out.

To HealthyNewMe, yes to all of your questions. Other docs are hesitant to pick up where previous surgeon left off, so to speak. It's as though they side with the other colleague. But appreciate your input.

hi Libby

your not alone!! It gets hard as we get older. I had problems too and I'm half way filled. What i did different is drink Water like 64 oz a day, this made my food go down so much better. I then a able to eat , be full for 3-4 hours and the wieght started dropping. I'm sorry to hear you are in a hard spot. don''t give up you deserve all the support needed to keep going.I see someone different when i go to my clinic and we clicked. Felt supported and not just rushed in and out like cattle. They also gave me the scope to make sure everything is good. Please keep trying till you get what you need.

KCTHEQUEEN

Thank you for that, kctequeen. I appreciate your input. Say, do you know why I would be 'blocked' from replying to someone who posted a response to my post? This would be 'chasingadream' post. I have a reply I would like to post and when I went to do so, I was notified that I was blocked from doing this. Is this the norm for a 'support' forum, do you know?

I had this happen several weeks ago, and I was flustered. Then I found I wasn't logged in! You can read & remark but you need to be "logged in"! Sometimes when you are away from the machine it loggs you out. Why? I don't know! (Why this jumped to the top of your question I have no clue!) Jo

Thank you for that, kctequeen. I appreciate your input. Say, do you know why I would be 'blocked' from replying to someone who posted a response to my post? This would be 'chasingadream' post. I have a reply I would like to post and when I went to do so, I was notified that I was blocked from doing this. Is this the norm for a 'support' forum, do you know?

Edited by JOANNE M HOLL

Sorry to hear about all of that....I am only 5 months post surgery so dont have any great words of wisdom except to ask.....is it possible to switch to another doctor in the practice (if there is more than one) or can you find another doctor to help you.

I can only imagine how hard this journey would be if my surgeon was as unsupportive as your sounds to be.

Wishing you luck..let us know how it works out.

I appreciate your input, chasingadream. After reading the struggle I am having, I do not think it's fair for you to include a graphic in your response to my post. Please understand, although I applaud your weight loss success, put yourself in my shoes. Would you embrace 'this graphic' if you were struggling, as I am?

I had this happen several weeks ago, and I was flustered. Then I found I wasn't logged in! You can read & remark but you need to be "logged in"! Sometimes when you are away from the machine it loggs you out. Why? I don't know! (Why this jumped to the top of your question I have no clue!) Jo

Appreciate the suggestion/input, Joanne. I was logged in at the time my response was composed/entered. I was able to post under the 'more reply options'.

So how many calories are you eating daily?

Libb...I'm sorry you are struggling and I do hope that you can find a doctor who supports you better than the one you have. Regarding the graphic..or ticker..it's not there to show you up in any way...it's part of chasing's signature...and mine...and plenty of others on this forum. It's there for informational purposes..and no other reason.

You are not alone. I was banded 20 months ago and I am currently down 35 lbs. I was down 50 lbs only by going on the ideal Protein diet. Since stopping that last july i have gained weight back. I can hardly get liquids down in the mornings because my band is tighter in the morning but by evening i can eat... alot! I know I shouldn't but by evening I am so hungry I eat! This has been very frustrating for me.

Hi Libby,

I can totally relate to you. I have a very unsupportive PCP. I was banded on 12/28/12 and I'm 14 months out. My highest weight was 289 and my pre-surgery weight was 267. I'm down to 209 and am at a standstill for two months now. My PCP says that it's ridiculous to keep going for fills if you're hardly losing weight. I leave his office feeling defeated most of the time. My surgeon is what keeps me going. He is so encouraging and he thinks I'm doing fine. I could change my PCP eventually just have to get the courage to do it.

I'm a young senior also but I have health issues that prevent me from doing heavy exercise. I am a post stroke patient and I've had brain operations so I'm limited in what I can do as I have no equilibrium and depend on a cane to get around.

Anyway, hang in there and don't let that surgeon feel defeated. We're here for you!

If your Surgeon is not supporting you, then I am sorry....not to be offensive, but I cannot possibly know the truth...sounds like a He said, She said.....
The things he said are correct though, but perhaps with a poor bedside manner in your case....
Loosing weight is all about burning more calories than we eat....physical activity makes that process easier and allows us to eat a little more freely...
If we want to loos weight and not burn off the calories, then we have to eat even less...
2+3=5....if you're not getting the 5, then you have to examine what is wrong with the 2 or the 3....

Also, people will experience problems if they do not learn to eat differently...and I can say from first hand experience, that after 58 years of bad eating habits, it was very tough changing in just 4 months after surgery...very hard 4 months, felt like backing down and quitting many times....fortunately my Dr is tough and when I called him he would always tell me to wait another week, and examine my eating habits...suck it up!....I'm sure he tells other patients things a little differently...

I deal with patients and their families all day long on clinic days, and learn to approach each case a little differently....have to be very diplomatic at times, and sometimes joke that I didn't go to school to be a "Priest"....and other times have to be very direct because my patience wears thin at times....it is a 2 way street...some people don't understand we are working very hard for them, and in many cases going way out of our way to meet their needs....but then I do expect something in return...maybe a little cooperation and perhaps some gratitude....I like to go home and say I had a good day......but some people are part of the system and expect everything to be handed to them....sorry, I can't do anything for them but go through the motions......you can lead a horse to water....

NOT SAYING YOU.....but I read story after story on this forum over the years, where people run back to their Dr. to get Fluid taken out because they can't keep food down, etc.......then I read other posts from the same person, weeks later, complaining they are always hungry, not loosing weight, and the band is not working....
Same person will post comments at later times talking about different dinners/recipes (???)
But they're LOW CAL and nutritious!!!! they say.... Sorry, has nothing to do with the band, and everything to do with dieting I'm sorry to say...not in terms of keeping food down, cooperating with the band and changing your eating habits....Forever!

I'm a man...and I need a swift kick in the Butt at times, I don't mind "Hard Love"...and realize I deserved it although maybe not at that moment...

Young Senior ,,,new term for me, I'm 62...have to think about that one...

Again, I am not saying this has ANYTHING to do with your case....just another viewpoint from a different perspective....and it's 5 am and tend to ramble on this time of day while having my coffee.....
It's off to the gym for me, then a full day of work....

Edited by B-52