Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to go back to work (telecommuting) ?

I am having surgery on Friday February 28th but I am only planning on taking Friday and the following Monday off from work as paid time off. I am thinking I can work from home, in bed on my computer starting on Tuesday. I could do my job from anywhere that has an Internet connection. I am not sure if I want to burn through PTO/Vacation days if I don't have to. Are there others out there who don't have to go into the office that went back to work sooner than later? What do you think?

Yep. Surgery on a Thursday, home on Friday and back to work on Monday. No issues since I sit all say.

I planned to take a week off and work from home the second week and return to full duty that following Monday.

Sassy: were you still pretty sore returning to work that early? My job is pretty sedentary.

Surgery on a Thursday - home on Saturday 'cause I couldn't keep anything down. Took Monday off and started Teleworking on Tuesday.

I'm glad I did it that way because I had to take some breaks during the day (which would not have been possible in an office environment). Still teleworking as much as possible.

Don't rush it and give yourself a chance to heal completely!! B)

I am concerned about taking too much time off. When I went through cancer treatment a few years ago I took time off from work and when I came back it was never the same. I ended up losing the job about a year later (found a new job making more money about a week later). This time around I am keeping this whole thing on the down low. I do not think my co-workers need to know I had major surgery. I float between two different offices so people are used to me be missing for a week at a time for no reason.

I kinda feel I am going to have to find a new job once I hit my goal weight. I am not sure I want to forever be known as the guy in tax who lost a shitload of weight rather than the amazing CPA tax pro that I am. I'll have to see how it goes as time goes by.

I telecommute full time - I had surgery on Thursday and was back to work 1/2 days on Monday. I probably could have done full days, but it was nice to not be pinned down to an actual 8 or 9 hours. I was able to nap, take walks, etc.

I'm so envious of telecommuting! I have a very stressful hospital job (management). I can hide out in my office but there are consequences for that. I'm planning a week at home and see how it goes. I wish I didn't need the money I make so I could explore other options. The commute, the stress - getting to me!

I've been telecommuting in some form for 15 years - the last 8 have been full time. Most days I consider myself very fortunate - I don't have to drive to work, I get to go to work with my dog every day, I'm here when my son goes to school and comes home, there is a certain amount of freedom.

There are drawbacks - you miss the proverbial Water cooler and it's easy to be "forgotten"...out of side out of mind. YOu miss the joking around the office. You can get passed up on promotions. Then there's the "I roll out of bed and start working syndrome" - I really let myself go when I started telecommuting full time. There are days where I don't shower until 5:00 PM and perhaps don't put on real clothes - my work attire can be a t-shirt and yoga pants and no one knows. This makes it easier to not notice the pounds creeping on and let yourself go. Now that I've been fairly successful at losing weight, I realize I need to be accountable for cleaning myself up and putting on big girl pants!

You have a really good point. I have had to "dress up" for work the past 4 years and it's been motivating towards this. I'm forced to go to meetings and speaking front of people. It does propel me towards "looking" better. But yoga pants sound pretty dang good too! It's all about balance I suppose!

I am concerned about taking too much time off. When I went through cancer treatment a few years ago I took time off from work and when I came back it was never the same. I ended up losing the job about a year later (found a new job making more money about a week later). This time around I am keeping this whole thing on the down low. I do not think my co-workers need to know I had major surgery. I float between two different offices so people are used to me be missing for a week at a time for no reason.

I kinda feel I am going to have to find a new job once I hit my goal weight. I am not sure I want to forever be known as the guy in tax who lost a shitload of weight rather than the amazing CPA tax pro that I am. I'll have to see how it goes as time goes by.

I agree - you should be known as that amazing CPA tax pro who looks awesome in men's yoga pants!!!!! :P

I haven't been to my office in almost a year - I've lost 56 pounds since my co-workers last saw me. I think I'll have to go into the office in April. I'm actually dreading it a little because I don't want the attention.

I had surgery on a Friday. I worked at home the following week, starting on Monday. That allowed me time to rest and recover, while still getting done of my hectic work done.

<p>I am having surgery on Friday February 28th but I am only planning on taking Friday and the following Monday off from work as paid time off. I am thinking I can work from home, in bed on my computer starting on Tuesday. I could do my job from anywhere that has an Internet connection. I am not sure if I want to burn through PTO/Vacation days if I don't have to. Are there others out there who don't have to go into the office that went back to work sooner than later? What do you think? </p>

Thanks for asking this question. I'm also a remote worker and I was contemplating how to schedule the surgery. My company doesn't provide PTO in the normal sense. We have unlimited PTO (with Project Manager and immediate manager) approval. But still, I didn't want to burn thru time if it wasn't necessary. I'm thinking that I should be mentally ready after a couple of days. My only concern was still being tired as a result of pain or nausea.

Ally