Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded this morning 2/18- where's the pain? ;)

Ok- there is a little bit of generalized pain today. Probably my fault- I didn't even try to rest yesterday and stayed up to 11 pm, along with taking my kids to piano practice and once a week church classes (with someone else driving)

I think I am going to try and rest today for several hours. Have absolutely no hunger pain whatsoever- it is the weirdest feeling- one I have never had!

My main concern was that this particular surgeon and practice is strong arming everyone to get the sleeve, which I believe is so that there is no long term patient follow-up like the band requires, and so they don't have to deal with your band idiosyncrasies. (Just my humble opinion, not trying to flame anyone but I guess I just did.)

In fact, I kept getting "haven't seen a band in a long time- wow" from nurses and staff as they came in to make the pre-op rounds.

My surgeon talked down the lap-band in the WLS Orientation last year, I actually felt kind of uncomfortable. I thought it was crazy, I see how most of the surgeons in this area are doing the sleeve, above gastric and band. Does anyone else see this trend?

I love the 'reversable' aspect of it, JUST IN CASE. not that I would ever want to reverse this surgery (which will hopefully be in March!) but its just so crazy to me that the doctors would try to sway you to a much more invasive procedure. just my opinion, anyone else agree?

I made the band decision for a couple of reasons, all personal:

1. When jets head coach rex Ryan got the band and Chris Christie followed (let's leave politics out of this please) it made me wonder why recreate the wheel- these two individuals have access to the best and the brightest and ultimately chose the band so to me that said something;

2. I am only looking to loose 100 pounds. I have noticed that some sleevers look too thin- almost sickly. It was also a concern of my wife in not looking too thin.

3. Worried about the higher incidences of serious complications immediately following gastric sleeve survey versus what I perceive to be minor annoyances of band life in general;

4. Easier to eat 3 meals a day than 4 with the sleeve. Also worried about if I was sleeved and started exercising heavily with weight loss, would I be more prone to dehydration problems (I live in the Deep South- high heat and humidity);

5. Alzheimer's runs in my family and if I get it down the line, it could be dangerous for myself and caregivers in taking care of me- where with the band I could just have it removed at that point.

6. If the band doesn't work by the end of year 2 I will just suck it up and go with a revision to a sleeve.

What amazes me the most is no matter how many years of research I did concerning both surgeries, I never could get enough info about which one was better. Thus, I had to make my final decision on the criteria above and choose the procedure that best matched those self-imposed criteria.

My main concern was that this particular surgeon and practice is strong arming everyone to get the sleeve, which I believe is so that there is no long term patient follow-up like the band requires, and so they don't have to deal with your band idiosyncrasies. (Just my humble opinion, not trying to flame anyone but I guess I just did.)

In fact, I kept getting "haven't seen a band in a long time- wow" from nurses and staff as they came in to make the pre-op rounds.

My surgeon talked down the lap-band in the WLS Orientation last year, I actually felt kind of uncomfortable. I thought it was crazy, I see how most of the surgeons in this area are doing the sleeve, above gastric and band. Does anyone else see this trend?

I love the 'reversable' aspect of it, JUST IN CASE. not that I would ever want to reverse this surgery (which will hopefully be in March!) but its just so crazy to me that the doctors would try to sway you to a much more invasive procedure. just my opinion, anyone else agree?

Betty,

i experienced something similar. The practice I went to has two surgeons and the one who gave the orientation was very pro-sleeve and talked bad about the band. However, my actual appointment was with the other surgeon and he was the opposite...even suggested the band when I explained my weight issues and goals. Got banded a week ago and feel almost lie it never happened.

Thank you for this info. Im scheduled for 3/10 and am super nervous.

Elise, I was nervous too but it went smooth as could be. Good Luck.

Definitely found that I was the only one in my pre-surgery "behavior modification classes" getting the band. I like the additional accountability. My surgery team explained that the band just requires more up-keep. Many people don't like that. Well I'm the exception. I want this to work. I viewed it this way. Some dogs can be walked without a leash. My dog (stomach) needed a leash to assist with my training. So rather than an invasive surgery, I chose the leash. Therefore I am in control of my choices and I feel better knowing that. It's up to me to do the work.

Thanks everyone this forum is nice to have and I feel the same about having the additional accountability this is why I also selected the band procedure. Im hoping to feel like MacDaddy on 3/10. G*d bless all of us and our bands

Ok- there is a little bit of generalized pain today. Probably my fault- I didn't even try to rest yesterday and stayed up to 11 pm, along with taking my kids to piano practice and once a week church classes (with someone else driving)

I think I am going to try and rest today for several hours. Have absolutely no hunger pain whatsoever- it is the weirdest feeling- one I have never had!

I am glad this is going so well for you. I hope it's relatively smooth sailing for me as well.

I guess Lap Band really is minimally invasive, as the pain level must depend on the type of surgery. My husband just had hernia repair (through his belly button), was out the same day, and said he didn't even need to take his pain medications. Aside from not lifting heavy things for a few weeks, he was fine.

My dad, on the other hand, had open heart surgery for a heart attack (the type where they had to saw open his chest and peel back the ribs). He described the after pain as "torture". I can only imagine.

Mac your port is under the longest incision site. don't remove the steri strips.. I am sure they told you that. Sounds like you have had a good experience. I had some pain but mild enough for Tylenol. Once I got moving and starting drinking I felt better. If you experience shoulder pain, use a heating pad it will help .

Best of Luck to you.

The only pain I had was I felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach by a horse. And a little gas pain but it didn't last long.

Best of luck with your recovery and the band!

Hi glad everything was ok, had lap band fitted yesterday, I took one hour in recovery apparently, didn't feel great for two hours when I did come to, but no unexpected gas pain like you. Putting shoes on slightly troublesome. We have to stay in hospital for one night following banding , but felt ok in fact I drove the nurses mad by constantly walking up and down the ward, and drinking loads of peppermint t tea, hope all is well.