Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My face is "too thin!"? I'm still over 200 lbs!

Dang. I sent a picture of me to some friends, and they think my (usually basketball) round face is "too thin!!" "don't lose any more weight, you'll look like calista Flockhart!" (not skin tone; skinny).

I am still 218 pounds! I am happy with the changes. I want to get to 175 at least! I told them they will just have to get used to seeing a smaller face. But...hmmm. I'm a bit bummed.

They even used the word "gaunt." Dang.

ive gotten this too. people keep saying my face looks sunken in and gaunt. i too am still over 200lbs. its probably just the shock of them seeing such rapid weight loss in so little time. I dont see it like that. im happy with the way i starting to look so to i hope you dont get too bummed b/c you are doing a great job!

Dang. I sent a picture of me to some friends, and they think my (usually basketball) round face is "too thin!!" "don't lose any more weight, you'll look like calista Flockhart!" (not skin tone; skinny).

I am still 218 pounds! I am happy with the changes. I want to get to 175 at least! I told them they will just have to get used to seeing a smaller face. But...hmmm. I'm a bit bummed.

Are these really "friends"??? At 218 lbs, are you ready to stop losing weight? My face is "falling" LOL, but so be it. I am not caring because I want my ideal weight to come. I want good health.

Don't get discouraged. I think the rapid changes in our weight/shapes can seem extreme to those around us. Try not to be overly influenced by their surprise and concern.

Also, I feel that the rapid physical changes to our bodies take some "settling in". That we can look a bit "gaunt" or drawn as the weight starts falling off. I have seen it in others early in their weight loss process. I have also found that, over time, their bodies seem to adjust. Their new, sharp edges soften again and they look fantastic (and not due to weight regain, just to body reshaping and adjusting). Hang in there and keep up the good work.

Let friends use any word...gaunt, skinny, bony, under nourished...You continue on your path and let your doctor be the best judge.

Also give it time. I think everyone who loses weight quickly has the "skinny face syndrome" eventually the skin and body will catch up and all will be good.

susysleever- I don't know if you are serious or joking but you described me to a T!

Hi,all! For some reason, I didn't see the most recent posts. To ALL of you who posted since my last post, excuse my delay. I appreciate all of you.

Sassy, you are sassy! Great idea, though! I may do that! LOL.

I felt SO GOOD yesterday at my board meeting. I wore a knit skirt and a sweater that I actually forgot I had because it's been packed away in bins in my basement for years. I also wore control-top pantyhose--Berkshire--which I still had, and some heels. I looked good, was confident, didn't hide from folks. Damn, that was great--not feeling ashamed. Great.

All your advice is helpful. I know what my situation was(especially my depression and self-induced isolation). So I do not regret my VSG . I'm early in this with months and pounds to go. They will all just finally see a normal-weight me!!!

Edited by Dr-Patient

There will be a day when they say i dont reckonize you when you look at the picture you sent them now. Let that be the guiding force that drives you to your next goal..

I have pictures of my face being round and big most see it on my wall and dont even know it is me. It doesnt bother me at all it just gives me that push to push on!

One word: Juvederm. I will gladly pay for a little filler in hollow areas of my face than put the 100 lbs back on.

oh i would never do filler!

watched too many episodes of botched bodies to even mess with that stuff!

sassypants,

I used to be a person who made fun of people who got Botox--guess what--Now I'm the one getting Botox.

I had cheek filler injected several years ago when I lost 60 pounds using legal speed--otherwise known as prescription Phentramine. I'm glad I did--that filler is still there and doing it's job. My face would REALLY be different if I hadn't gotten it.

Once I have been at a stable weight for some time, I'm getting filler again. Because gosh, darn it--I'm frackin' worth it.

Dr-Patient,

YOU GO GIRL!!!! Rock those clothes and do not allow anyone to deny you your full poetential for weightloss. I can't help but think there may be some element of jealousy behind some of the comments many of us recieve.

Before my surgery, I was a person who isolated herself and wasted too much time on what others thought of me. Since I've lost some weight--I've gained more confidence in myself and I can honestly say--I won't be takin' crap from anybody anymore--I've endured too much and accomplished too much to live a healthier life.

Blessings to y'all,

Kathleen

I have had the face to thin comment. Gaunt statements and stop losing weight talk..I know how much I weigh and how much I still need to lose....

So do you. Your body will adjust somewhat depends on genes and age and amount of weight lost...Crap shoot...But I would rather have a skinny face then high blood pressure, poked at made fun of, can't walk and so on.....

Tell them that their mom-ma's forgot to teach them that " If you don't have anything nice to say to shut the hell up. "

I, too, am walking with so much more confidence. My boobs aren't as heavy now, so I'm more upright. I can feel that I walk more upright.

My commentator-friends really are friends; they don't mean to hurt me, I'm sure. I think, as many here have said, they are so used to my butterball face, that any weight loss would freak them out. Those who know of my VSG are concerned I might lose too much over time.

But, hey, I am still over 200 pounds (218 pounds, and stalled x 5 days), so I am nowhere near being finished. I want to reach 175, then maybe 150 (since I'll probably gain some back after 2-3 years anyway). It is amazing how just these near-40 pounds gone can boost one's spirit, approach, outlook, energy, self-confidence. etc.

My friends will just have to buckle up and hold on for what they might feel is a bumpy ride, but for me, it'll be smooth sailing into midlife, AARP-card-carrying Sexy-ville (I'm 58). I will return to "breathtaking!"

For those of you who haven't heard it/don't know it, youtube "She's a Bad Mama Jama" song. That was my theme song (to work out to years ago); I've been playing it lately, this time, to embrace the words!! (I was too 'churchy' before). Also, in Blurred Lines..." You're the hottest B**** in this place" --my, my, my. Soon, Robin Thicke; soon. ha ha!!