Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Patience is a virtue

Losing weight with the band is not fast. Some do lose fast in the beginning but that is rare. Normal weight loss is 1 to 2lbs a week. There isn't any sense in getting upset, discouraged, or want to give up because you are a month post op or a few weeks and you haven't lost 70lbs. You didn't gain weight over night. It was a period of years of bad eating habits that caused you to gain 100 to 200lbs so getting it off in a short amount of time unless you are starving yourself is not going to happen. If there are those who lost weight quickly then good for them but it took me 3 years and of absolutely no cheating to get all my weight off. If you are a smoker and quit smoking it is even going to take you longer. Yes I know that from personal experience. You can't drop weight rapidly with the band unless you are some circus freak that lost 200lbs in a month. It's not a fast process but it works if you just allow it. 52lbs weight loss in a year is better then 52lbs of weight gain. A loss is a loss no matter how you lose it or how long it takes you to lose it. Be patient it will come. Rome wasn't built over night and neither is the road work here in Jacksonville done over night. More like a period of years. Stop weighing yourself everyday. If you can't wrap your head around the scale that your weight can fluctuate up to 9lbs because of Water weight then stop being a scale monger. Weigh yourself at your doctors office. The more you weigh yourself and get discouraged the more likely you are setting yourself up for failure. It's not a race and you don't have to be the first one to the finish line. Stop letting the scale wreck your day or month. Just do what you are supposed to and it will happen.

Cheryl..... I soooo hear this message. Glad I did learn it. My life is so much better knowing I won't be losing quickly, but I will be losing steadily.

May I also chime in ladies?? The losing may be slow. But to me,The NOT gaining back,Yo-yo dieting syndrome is gone from my life. All the wasted time thinking of ways to drop 10 lbs by next(fill in the blank). It is truly long term ... then the healthy things that go with it. A walk. (Ok. Not enough of those. Trying ) I just appreciate navigating in the world made for mid size people!!????

Julie.... You are so right too.... The not gaining back. And I was all smiles about your comment about being able to navigate in a world meant for the average sized person.... Amen to that!

Thanks healthy

It is truly an individual struggle isn't it? Having surgery was such a big step for me. Changed the rest of my life. And nearing 60 I'm gonna try to make it a good last 1/3 of life. But some days (actually nights) are difficult. Just gotta start over the next day for me and keep trying to put together a good week and then month. Goes fast

And sometimes I look at old pics and am sooo thankful for the change

Julie