Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starvation mode, stall & atrophy

I haven't had more than 300 calories/day since I was on the pre-op diet. I am two weeks out of surgery as of tomorrow. I really feel that my body has gone into total starvation mode, which of course, causes a stall so early in the process. I am really trying to get in more Protein and all my Water, but the Proteins feel so thick and I can only drink so much before major discomfort. Two weeks out I am still in some fair amount of pain both with movement and with swallowing.

Additionally, I can really feel the atrophy that has occurred in my legs, arms and my overall endurance level. I have been walking and using the treadmill - but wow...I really feel the physical decline of my body since surgery.

1st seminar: 283 lbs

Post nutrition visits (4 months): -17 lbs (266)

DOS (2/4/14): -11 lbs (255)

Week 1 Post Op: -11 lbs (244)

Week 2 Post Op: 0 lbs (244)

Well, that is all for my little pity party. I know this all will pass and recovery is happening, though slowly. I am amazed at those of you who reported no post-op pain, laying on side first night home from hospital and drinking with no issues. It makes me feel like a bit of a failure to realize that my body didn't go that way.

Ah well, brighter skies ahead, friends.

You are not alone. It took me a month just to start and feel normal. The first week after surgery my husband had to literally wrap his arms around me and lift me up from a laying position. At two weeks I felt like you described. But don't worry about stall and atrophy, that is just too much thinking. Over thinking is something I know well. It takes the place of all the eating we are not doing. But it can be just as harmful.

The Premier Protein shakes over a few ice cubes are what got me through. Try putting some ice in what you have. The thick texture bothered me too, and this helps a lot.

It will get better.

It is ok, when i first had my surgery it took me a while before i could take in more than 300 cal a day. Your body will go into starvation mode, i did. Ketoacidosis (your body break down fat to turn it into energy), your mouth will taste funny and cottony, its a part of the process. I like tea so mint teas was helpful with the taste. Just make sure you are hydrated and are trying to drink your shakes, if you are concerned that you are not getting enough Fluid, i do suggest calling your MD. Pain is subjective everyone experiences it didfferently so never compare yourself with someone else. Take you time with physical activity, get up and walk around slowly around the block, up and down the stairs (take pain medication 30 mins before activity makes moving a little less painful). Your body is going through alot bare with it and brighter days are def coming. The full feeling will last for a while, i'm sorry to tell you, slow sips, small sips, get baby spoons, forks and plates if you had to, helps with Portion Control.< /p>

I am 6 months post-op, I had the same problems, feeling like I was starving myself. My Doctor told me to make my Protein Shakes with ice and put them in a blender (I used a ninja). Make them a little thick, almost like a Frosty from Wendys. That way you are still getting your Protein and it makes you feel full. Eating the shakes with a spoon seemed to make them go down easier also. My first night home after surgery I thought I'd be able to sleep in my bed. The pain meds knocked me out but the next morning when I went to get up, I cried it hurt so bad.My boyfriend had to bring a chair in to put beside the bed so I could slide myself onto the chair and then he slowly pulled me up to a sitting position. After that I was in the recliner for a little over a month.A friend of mine had sleeve surgery in November 2013, she told me to keep her mind off of eating, she joined all kinds of sites for sleeve surgery, like this one. She said going into chatrooms and blogging about her experience helped keep her mind off eating. :)

I guess we all experience a little setback differently but in the end we should be happy (I HOPE). I wish I could get eggs down let alone 300 calories but that's not my case. Good Luck....you're doing a whole lot better then some of us. Keep us posted....the things you do may and will help the next person that experience the same symptoms as you.

Fluids are the number one priority at your stage. Even Protein takes a back seat. Once you can consume more calories, you will get your strength back. I recall that 300 calories seems accurate for week two.

And get ready for the dreaded stall that comes at 3 weeks. It gets almost all of us.

Just thought I'd chime in. Your post was actually encouraging to me... so I hope my reply is to you. I'm 2 weeks today (sleeve 2/4/2014) and here is my loss numbers:

Consultation: 210

DOS: 203

week 1: -5

week 2: -0.4

I am NOT in starvation mode, I eat between 400-700 calories a day. I have also been exercising everyday... walking dogs 30-45 minutes at a brisk pace... nothing too extreme. But I also went back to work last Monday and keep a pretty busy schedule.

So it sounds like we are both stalled out at the moment....I get my Protein, Water, and calories and am still in the same boat as you, so don't over think what you are doing. Listen to your body, let it heal, and just know... the road we are on, will lead us to the destination we seek... in it's own path.

Hugs and right there with ya!

Edited by Tamosy

OK, I really appreciated all the replies. I especially smiled at the overthinking comments. Wow - that's pretty accurate and a great reminder. I suspect I might be an overthinker.

Hee hee - In fact, I am also an over-researcher. For example, on Day 4 or 5 post op, I almost lost my voice (probably just post-anesthesia stuff) but of course, I googled it and found a number of sites that said some people never regained a normal voice post-op or could never sing again. Immediately, I imagined my new voiceless life. I was going to be like the Little Mermaid who had gotten her much wanted feet, but would never speak again. Quite a trade-off.

Of course, 2 days later my voice fully returned and that was that. It's probably good I am back to work this week - too much time to think = bad things!!!

Do you have a juicer? Juicing vegetables and mixing your Protein Powder in will certainly help with your energy levels. Drinking a few carrots, tomatoes, celery stalks, etc. will load you up with tons of healthy Vitamins and because it's in juice form it will be easy on your new sleeve. Of course clear it with your doc first as some advise against raw vegetables, but my nut said that in juice form there is nothing better for your body's healing than homemade fresh veggie juice.

I had myself convinced I was gonna be one of those up and about right after surgery. Not so much! My body had different ideas. I was a mess 3 days in the dark with a Migraine so no walking around or even thinking of getting Protein in. 2 weeks before I could sleep one 1 side but not the other. Then feeling about 80% this past Friday as far as pain (not food) I slipped on the ice and pulled so hard on my incisions that it felt like day 2 after surger all over again. SOB. I'm feeling about 75% now. food is still not my friend cuz it makes me so uncomfortable. LIFESAVER: Egg White Protein Shakes by Jay Robb at Vitamin Shoppe or GNC. It's delish and not thick. After surger I couldn't do whey protein without pain. Give it a try. I actually look forward to it. Oh side note scale has not moved in over a week.

Southjerzjoy: I almost cried for you to read about your slip on the ice. OMG. Winter in the northeast - yikes.