Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Adventures of the old lady and her sleeve

I thought I'd write about my journey for the older folks out there considering this surgery. Last Nov I turned 71 and after regaining 50 pounds I had lost two years ago (the story of my life) I could see that if I didn't do something drastic I would spend my remaining years in a wheel chair. So off to a bariatric seminar I went. I was encouraged by all that I saw there and decided to take the plunge.

I survived the two week starvation diet with out murdering my husband or eating the furniture and had my surgery on Feb. 4th. I started my journey at 298.5.

The surgery was interesting I guess. As they put in the gas to blow me up, the gas hit my vagus nerve and my body slowed way down. 40 heartbeats a minute. They backed off the gas and did chest compressions to get me stabilized. Then contacted the cardiologist who told them to go for it so they compleated the surgery and then sent me to the cath lab for a heart cath. That came back normal. Surgeon said I gave them quite a scare. I wouldn't know as I woke up in the ICU and don't remember a thing about even going to the OR.

Let me tell you, I used Tennova at Turkey Creek as my hospital and the care was outstanding both in the ICU and the bariatric wing. I couldn't have asked for better.

Woke up only to walk far enough to get them to take the catheter out. My surgeon checks for leaks during surgery so I would drink as soon as I woke up. Yayyyyy. I could drink easily and like the very cold the best. I had no nausea or pain when still. When I tried to get up that was another story. Seems like when they blew me up they also disturbed the scar tissue from my mastectomies of 9 years ago and that gave me fits for about a week. The actual surgery part was a breeze.

I have had no problem meeting my carb, Protein and fluid goals daily. I can drink normally but not as much as fast. I'm on liquids for 4 weeks on then on to purees. I am so looking forward to some refried beans!!!

So for you older folks considering this--go for it. I'm a two time cancer surviver and figured I had nothing but fat to lose and everything to gain.

I'd do this again in a heartbeat. Oh, and I'm down 23 lbs. from the start of my pre op so that part is going well, too.

Chris

So glad you survived your surgery! What a brave step you took! I am so proud of you and glad you took the time to write your story and inspire others! I know you are an inspiration to me!

You are an inspiration! Congrats on your surgery and I am glad it worked out OK.

I look forward to watching your journey thru this.

Take good care!

You, Lady, have serious courage!

Wonderful to read. Thank you

I wish you all the best for now and the future :)

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I know a woman your age approx who also had the sleeve surgery last summer. She is doing great and you are too!

Okay--I'll try again. Still haven't quite figured out how to work this thing. I want to thank you for your words of support and encouragement.

I've been following all three of you for quite a while and you've give me many a smile and many an encouragement.

Also one thing I forgot. When I woke up after surgery it was the first time in my life I remember not being hungry. And I still haven't felt any hunger and am disinterested in food for the most part. And this from the woman who gained 18 pounds during chemo when all about her were talking about forcing themselves to eat, etc. Although I was glad I wasn't in that position either.

Hi Chris, pretty sure I remember you from support group. Glad you made it safely through surgery and are doing well! :)

<p>Hi Chris, pretty sure I remember you from support group. Glad you made it safely through surgery and are doing well! :)</p>

Nope that wasn't me. The night I planned to go it was canceled due to weather. So now I'm going to go in march. Will I see you there? Would love to meet you

YAY!! Sounds like you've got the right attitude and will do great with your journey!

What a scare but so happy you are doing well now!!

You truly are an inspiration. Congratulations!

You truly are an inspiration. Congratulations!

Thanx. I appreciate all the support here

Dear Chris, How brave you are!!! I am 67. I no longer SIT. I am absolutely delighted at the change in my life. If not for the sleeve, my husband and I would be on the downhill side of life, now we are motivated and trying to climb uphill lol. When you get older, your one vice is food, our appetite never decreased, which meant we would never lose weight, and cannot exercise. I feel 10 years younger and I am thinking some plastic surgery on my face. What a difference a sleeve makes! I wish you the very best!!!

I am just a kid of 65 but I am very proud of you! I am a cancer survivor too. :)