Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am on my pre-op liquid diet. My surgeon requires that I drink a minimum of five Protein Shakes a day, the dietitian gave me a list of approved drinks and they all vary from 15g to 30g. So if I drink the Premier shake which is 30g I'm getting double the amount of Protein than if I was drinking Atkins advantage which is 15g. I cannot STAND the taste Premier and I have a hard time drinking them, they taste like medicine and I have to drink them because I went out and bought three cases of them from Sams before I even tasted them. So anyway, I have only been drinking about 3 per day and I've been feeling horrible about it, because I've wanted this surgery for soooo long that I feel honored and privilege to get it, so therefore I want to do my very, very best on this journey. So I've been getting about 90g of protein a day with the Premier shakes, is this good enough because if I were drinking five of the 15g shakes I would only be consuming 75g. I called my bariatric center yesterday and the nurse told me that I NEED to drink a minimum of five shakes or else my liver won't shrink and that just doesn't make since because as I stated some shakes has higher protein than others. I think the nurse was just trying to scare me into drinking five fer day. I didn't tell her that I was drinking 30g shakes, all of what I'm posting here didn't dawn on me until this morning.

So my question is how much protein should I aim for per day? I know post-op I have to aim for 60g, but I'm talking about pre-op.

You may want to ask her again...but you need to supplement with Water for sure, stay hydrated.
Try some sugar free syrups in your Protein drinks to see if you can offset the taste. I bought some premade stuff in a can (only a few fortunately) and all I can taste is the CAN! So I added some raspberry Syrup and it goes down better.

Also the chocolate Protein powder I bought this time is kind of bland, so I bump it up a notch with the syrups...all kinds of flavors to help you out!

Good luck...you can do this! :)

I know what you mean. The Premier are THICK. You can cut them with Water or milk to make them more like chocolate milk. I'd hate to see you waste all that money.

I know what you mean. The Premier are THICK. You can cut them with Water or milk to make them more like chocolate milk. I'd hate to see you waste all that money.

Ikr, someone told me to blend it up with oats and about a teaspoon of peanut bettter and that will help too. So I'm going to do what you said and warter it down a bit for pre op, then post op try the oats and Peanut Butter thing.

There are a lot of SF ways you can improve the taste of chocolate shakes.

1. Butterfinger: add PB2, caramel Syrup

2. chocolate mint: add creme de menthe syrup

3. Samoa cookie- add caramel syrup and coconut syrup

These are all really good.

I also have tried adding chocolate chip cookie dough syrup to chocolate shakes. It is good, but I had a hard time tasting the cookie dough.

I am sure there are some websites out there where there are 100s of crazy recipes for you to try with SF syrup and a chocolate shake.

Sophia #1 Try powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein shakes I find they don't have that medicine taste and it's easy to drink. I hate chocolate but I actually like there chocolate. If you call them they will send you samples of the van, strawb, chicken Soup, and the 2 different chocolate shakes when you make a purchase. Just let them know that you are trying to decide on a Protein shake you can handle. Now I went in to see my surgeon on the 20th of this month and was told it was ok to drink as much shake as I needed to stop me from having headaches this diet still isn't that easy for me I have a lot of head hunger. Make sure you drink your broth and Water that may help also. And if you go to the website they also have recipes like strawberry sorbet mixed with crystal light pink lemondade taste great. I hope this helps

There are a lot of SF ways you can improve the taste of chocolate shakes.

1. Butterfinger: add PB2, caramel Syrup

2. chocolate mint: add creme de menthe syrup

3. Samoa cookie- add caramel syrup and coconut syrup

These are all really good.

I also have tried adding chocolate chip cookie dough syrup to chocolate shakes. It is good, but I had a hard time tasting the cookie dough.

I am sure there are some websites out there where there are 100s of crazy recipes for you to try with SF syrup and a chocolate shake.

Those are all great recipes. I found these tasty, too...

1) 1/2 blended banana in the chocolate shake

2) PB2 added to the vanilla shake

3) tangerine Mio added to vanilla tastes like a dreamsicle

As for the premier shakes, I always thought they were too thick I dilute them at least 1/2 1/2 with skim milk....and that adds another 8g Protein. I learned to tolerate them because they are definitely the most bang for your buck when it comes to Protein. The other thing I did both pre and post op was to add unflavored Protein Powder to broth. It was a nice change from all the sweet flavored shakes.