Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

15 grams of carbs/500 or fewer calories a day until I lose 100 pounds?

I can tell you I couldn't function on what you're allowed.

I restricted my carbs in the beginning - on my own, not dictated by my doc/nut. I felt like crap. I had no energy. Then I started exercising and it got worse. I was down in the 20 range for carbs at that point. I burn between 500-700 calories in a 60 minute cardio work out, depending on what I'm doing.

After going to my doc and explaining my situation I let her know I increased my carbs to about 50-60 and she agreed that would be good and to concentrate on the Protein. She asked how I'm getting in more carbs - I told her I was adding low-glycemic fruit to my shakes (berries or peaches) or I added 1-2 tablespoons of fat-free refried Beans to a meal and I started adding 1% milk to my shakes. She said these were great ideas.

Right now, I'm taking in 800-1000 calories per day. I'm getting about 50-60 carbs per day and meeting my Protein gold of 80 grams of protein. I exercise 5-6 days per week - mostly cardio right now, 60-75 minutes. I have lots of energy and I feel great.

My suggestion would be to go to another bariatric nutritionist to get a 2nd opinion. I think the theories here are correct - you need more. 500 calories is not enough to sustain you.

500 calories, plus exercise?

No way. Where would your energy source come from?

Since I exercise 4 days a week, my Nut has me at 1200 calories per day with 80 grams of Protein and with that I don't have to watch carbs and fats because I'm too busy concentrating on Protein, so my intake of those two are already at a pretty low count.

Just to give you a different perspective, at 7 weeks I was eating less than 500 calories a day. Didn't really get to 800 a day regularly until 3-4 months out. I didn't have a problem with it at all and could not have eaten more. Even now I stick with 800-900 a day without being at all hungry and I exercised from the beginning.

I don't doubt that your nut's program works, but i wouldn't want to follow it personally. If I were in your shoes i think I might look to switch nuts if at all possible. I get a lot of my Protein from dairy, which has carbs. I eat 40-50 g of carbs a day even with avoiding Pasta, bread, rice, potatoes, etc. because vegetables, Beans and dairy have carbs. I also take optifiber and use hemp Protein, chia seeds, etc.

Also, the well meaning folks who insist that you have to have 1000-1200 calories a day are not correct. Many of us, such as myself, have slow metabolisms and don't lose with that many calories. I simply maintain at 1200. Wish I was one of you fast BMR folks! Remember, everyone is different and there is no one size fits all for this stuff, only general guidelines. That's why I like reading everyone's different methods. There are some gems to be found now and then, as well as info to avoid (for me at least - might be great for someone else).

Good luck with this.

Edited by NMJG

I've found that most nutritionists are bonkers :D Well that's not true.. I just think they don't have a lot in the way of real guidelines. I think they're all taught something different, and they take what they've learned and rarely iterate on it.

I'm 6'3, but I was still told to only take in 400-600 calories per day for 6 months, with little to no carbs. It's the same thing they tell everyone, but NOBODY is the same! Hell, I can't survive on 600 calories, let alone 400! I was also told, with a straight face, to only take in that many calories and NO SNACKING W - T - F?! To me that just sounds like a recipe for failure.. there's a reason I got surgery, I've already proven that when I restrict myself too much I go nanners!

I will tell you though, what helped my 'movements' was adding some fat back into my diet. I get almost no Fiber, but with some fat everything is.. um.. smooth sailing?