Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting my 10 day liquid pre-op diet tomorrow and I'm freaked out!

So I have to start my liquid diet tomorrow, and I am kind of worried about being hungry. I can have 3 Protein Shakes a day for my meals, and then sugar free drinks, skim milk, sugar free popsicles, chicken, beef, or veggie broth. If I could do this easily, wouldn't I be thin? I have worried more about this than the surgery. LOL! Somebody please tell me that it isn't so bad! I wish I could have a lean Protein dinner like some of you guys are allowed! I have to admit that even just typing this out made me feel better and more confident! :)

I had to do the 10 liquid diet also. Believe me, after the surgery, you will appreciate having done this. It was tough but after the 3rd day it gets easier. It really helped being able to eat the popsicles. I started out with Swanson's broth but started gagging just smelling it. Solution was to use broth from chicken noodle Soup. That was much better. It really helps if you flavor your Water with Crystal Lite. And jello-o is a good option also. Good luck and stick to it!

The first couple of days were the hardest, as your body does it's detox thing...but then I was fine, and appreciated the cleansing...no diet cokes was the hardest... but haven't touched carbonated beverages since my pre-op and I'm good :) ... I know I've said this before, but I find (for me) if I'm having a tough time of it and feel I NEED something, I go to a hot beverage (decaf tea/broth) and sip slowly and that seems to do the trick to get "over the hump"...good luck...you've got this!

I know how scary this is--I was totally freaked out before the preop diet and wrote a long post about it. I'm not going to sugarcoat things, your first few days may be tough. I had terrible detox headaches from the lack of carbs and caffeine. But after the first 4 days I was feeling pretty good and not at all hungry.

I ended up having to stay on the preop diet longer than 2 weeks because my surgery date was postponed. My surgeon was nice enough to let me have green veggies and egg whites at that point.

3 Protein shakes a day sounds really strict. When I was on the Protein shake part of the preop I was allowed to have 5 shakes a day plus all of the sugar free liquids. Are you allowed to have sugar free Jello?

I'm not advising you to go agains your doctor's orders, but if the hunger gets really bad maybe you can ask them if you can have an extra Protein Shake or a couple of cups of green veggies.

Trust me, you will be just fine. :)

Thank you everyone! I am allowed to have SF Jello, and even diet caffeine free soda right up to surgery, but not after. The soda doesn't bother me at all though, since I'm not a big soda drinker to begin with. I'm so happy to have the chicken noodle Soup broth idea - thank you so much! I can't tolerate the smell of chicken broth at all. It makes me want to barf! That should work much better for me. And I have a stockpile of popsicles ready to go. Has anyone else heard of adding a little Kool-Aid powder to your Protein shakes to give them flavor? I looked at the packets, and they have no sugar or calories. A friend who had bypass surgery did this with her vanilla shakes, and said it was delicious.

Anyway, thank you so much for your help! I'm determined to do whatever it takes. :mellow:

You can do this! I'm on day 10 of a 14 day pre-op. These are a godsend. Cut them in half with regular beef or chicken broth though Bc they are spicy.

post-184332-0-10485000-1392324568_thumb.jpg

those look yummy, SuperFatty... I will have to look for them on my next trip!!!

And Aunt GG... my (step) grandkids, call me GG too :) ... welcome welcome

Oohhhh they sound wonderful! Thank you so much for that!!!

What store did you get these from

I got them at Walmart on the Soup aisle next to the regular broths. They are easy to overlook though.

Well I just choked down my first Protein shake. It was disgusting. I added black cherry kool aid powder to it, and that made it a little bit better. I think the kind I bought was just a bad taste. And I have a big container of it. UGH! Oh well, will keep choking them down. Whatever it takes, right?

Well I just choked down my first Protein shake. It was disgusting. I added black cherry kool aid powder to it, and that made it a little bit better. I think the kind I bought was just a bad taste. And I have a big container of it. UGH! Oh well, will keep choking them down. Whatever it takes, right?

The only ones tolerable for me are About Time and premier RTD chocolate, which I really like.

It's sort of hit and miss with Protein powders plus they say tastes change after surgery.

Thanks SuperFab! I will start looking for those. They can't possibly all taste as disgusting as the one I have here.

Thanks SuperFab! I will start looking for those. They can't possibly all taste as disgusting as the one I have here.

No problem. I hope u like em :)

Some websites offer sample packs of flavors, so you may want to try that option. I just bought a big tub of a different chocolate and was quite disappointed with the flavor... I use some sugar free Syrup to make it better... raspberry is really yummy in it! :) So you may want to try that option... Walmart carries Tocani and so does World Market (more selection) in little bottles and then when you find the ones you like, you can get BIG bottles :)

Hope that will help... I used Slim Fast low carb pre-made shakes pre-op and they were good and easy to grab and go in the morning ;)