Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dangers of Sugar Free - how much is too much?

I'm not a huge fan of artificial sweeteners. They taste ok and I'll use them but I'm fearful my consumption of chemicals is gonna go way up post op. My pancrease is happier I'm sure but I'm having a hard time reconciling all the other stuff in the "sugar free" versions. I'd have chosen the coke over diet coke preop (before preop I guess) because of the chemicals but now I'm too conscious if the calories. I usually just drink Water anyway but I'm just using that as and example. For those who have studied this, what the word? Is there a safe one (or safer one)? Do you limit?

I haven't researched this, but three months ago, I switched from Splenda to Truvia. My limited knowledge is that Truvia is made from the leaves of the stevia plant. I like the taste bc it doesn't have an aftertaste, like Sweet n Low, and may not contain the chemicals that are in Equal and Splenda.

I use Stevia for most things, but I also use honey, coconut sugar, and molasses. I do use Splenda if there's nothing else (it's better than aspartame). I've used raw sugar as well and done okay with it.

I don't use any artificial sweeteners as I figure the 15 cal in my sugar cube (for my decaf) is not really going to show up on the scale.

I figured out, and recently confirmed, that Splenda/sucralose blocks my weight loss. It's "made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar," remember that ad? In my body, it acts like sugar. I recently stopped all those [protein] products that have it in them and finally broke my stall. Almost going into the '21__' weight, down from a max of 271.2 and a surgery day weight of 257.2. Whoo-hoo!!

I do fine with Sweet & Low.

I drink 5 or 6 cups of coffee a day with either Splenda or Sweet & Low. If you look at reports they say everything will kill ya eventually. I still remember the big saccharin 'scare' of the 70's and the supposed link to Cancer. I budget my daily calories so the added sweetener is not a concern of mine.

Get off all chemically enhanced products. If you must use a sweetener use pure sugar or honey. It has been proven over and over all the artificial sweeteners hide bad chemicals. All of them. Dont be fooled by the hype. They give other triggers you dont need. Just use real stuff. Organic.

"Is there a safe one (or safer one)?"

According to science, the short answer is "Yes". A Google search for "Safety of artificial sweeteners" returned 541,000 results. This link - http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/are-artificial-sweeteners-safe - is just one of several articles on WebMD on the subject of artificial sweeteners (there are links to many of them at the bottom of each page of this article). The bottom line is that all artificial sweeteners approved by the FDA for sale in the U.S. (including saccharin based sweeteners) are "recognized as safe". All have been tested. Some quite extensively, others less extensively.

"Do you limit?" Other than avoiding ridiculously large quantities, there seems to be very little if any published information on any limits of consumption.

That said, the debate over the safety of artificial sweeteners has been going on for a long time and will likely continue. Chemical content, processing, GMO and even the "natural" label are all controversial. The FDA, as of now, does not even regulate the use of the word "natural".

The benefits of artificial, "low-calorie" sweeteners for diabetics and those on the weight loss journey are undeniable. They do not affect blood sugars and have either no calories or contain so few calories that they are not considered significant.

"Reduced-calorie" sweeteners are usually sugar alcohols. They have about half the calories of sugar but some diabetics will experience an increase in blood sugars with sugar alcohols.

So the decision to use or not use artificial sweeteners continues to be a subjective one. And for those who opt to use them, the choice more often than not will revolve around taste. Estimates are that 7 out of 10 people in the U.S. use artificial sweeteners.

I figured out, and recently confirmed, that Splenda/sucralose blocks my weight loss. It's "made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar," remember that ad? In my body, it acts like sugar. I recently stopped all those [protein] products that have it in them and finally broke my stall. Almost going into the '21__' weight, down from a max of 271.2 and a surgery day weight of 257.2. Whoo-hoo!! I do fine with Sweet & Low.

Thanks for all the info. I knew others had probably researched this.

This was also my concern about the use of those blocking weight loss. I've heard that can happen. Seems like I've been ingesting way more sugar free products than before I started this journey - pre-packaged EVERYTHING. I was mixing up SF Jello and got to thinking about food dyes and artificial sweeteners and just kinda thought how much I'm eating. - yogurt, Jello, Protein bars/drinks. I don't love sweets. I love the carbs in bread, Pasta, etc. pizza is my crack. I drink coffee with cream only. If I start drinking cokes, I'll want more though and I feel poorly after drinking diet soda. Once in a while I'll crave choc or strawberry. I have a strong family hx of cancer. Not sure I want to loose weight by filling up on low calories chemicals and food dyes (although I will do what I need to post op liquid phase with jello, etc). I'm not militant by any means, and I'm sure I can't avoid it altogether but wow - just seems like it's too much. I bought some stevia. I have used Truvia on Cereal.

Thanks all for input!

I haven't researched this, but three months ago, I switched from Splenda to Truvia. My limited knowledge is that Truvia is made from the leaves of the stevia plant. I like the taste bc it doesn't have an aftertaste, like Sweet n Low, and may not contain the chemicals that are in Equal and Splenda.

My doctor told me no more Splenda . I now use Truvia and real brown sugar instead of Splenda brown sugar.

I'm curious what prompted your doctor's recommendation. Were you experiencing symptoms that he/she thought might be associated with Splenda (sucralose) and subsided with Truvia (stevia)?

My doctor told me no more Splenda . I now use Truvia and real brown sugar instead of Splenda brown sugar.

My body has a VERY difficult time with the artificial sweeteners post op (yet was completely fine pre op). I was sleeved on 1/28 so I am still on a puréed diet and I am finding it difficult to find things I can eat that do not contain sucralose. I have experimented with stevia and even regular sugar and my body can digest them with no issues.

I'm concerned that reg sugar = higher calories, even though I am only eating extremely small portions.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Responses are much appreciated! Thanks, Heather

I joke about sugar free..but in all honesty..I don't touch the stuff..research it (aspartame) you wont either

Hi,

I use Stevia. I started using it year ago when I started seriously looking at the quality of food I was eating and how it affected my daily headaches/chronic Migraines and my overall well being. Prior to surgery, I rarely ate anything with chemicals, dyes and for sure Splenda or Nutrasweet. Honestly, my headaches have been terrible since surgery. I don't know, but I'm thinking all of the artificial sweetners, chemicals, dyes and additives have been playing havoc on my headaches. It's one of the reasons I have backed off on the Protein drinks and am trying to get my Protein in through food, although it's difficult. I use Stevia on my Cereal, in my coffee, on our families sweet potatoes and anything else I would add sugar too. I'm trying to eat as clean as possible while still getting in my required protein, Vitamins and minerals. I did buy some organic Protein powder which is disgusting, but I believe it won't contribute to my headaches and it will help me with my protein intake. Good luck. :)

Jane - if you can find 'Jay Robb' Protein powders, I highly recommend them. They are flavored with Stevia and taste great (at least the vanilla & chocolate ones that I have tried). If you google it I believe you can order a small sample pack off his website. Just wanted to share, hope this helps.