Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve weight loss times?

Hi I'm 4 1/2 months post op and I'm down 47lbs since I started the process and down 27lbs since my surgery date. I'm in a stall right now gaining muscle, losing inches, but the scale isn't moving. Long way to go. Hope I helped.

It depends on your body, your size (are you a small framed vs large) and your diet history, IMO.

In my sleeve group, it seems the people who have lost the slowest are the ones with lifetime yo-yo dieting and have done strict liquid or restricted calorie diets (myself included).

Myself, I think by 6 months I was down to 160 from 218 surgery day (I count 233 from pre-op because I had a two week pre-op I lost 15lbs on). So just shy of 60lbs in 6 months. I am one of the slower losers. I tracked daily, exercised, did everything right and still lost slow. No 40lbs in a month for me. A steady 10lbs/month approximately.

Since 6 months, I kind of fell off the wagon. I haven't been doing shizt, just somewhat watching what I eat. Get my Protein in, drink fluids, but I eat popcorn, Cookies, too. I also had a change of work schedule and working out became inconvenient but I am now getting back on track with that. I guess I got rebellious. Plus, I think I have to do a whole change and eating low carb and not enjoying food life is not something I can keep up forever. I would rather lose my weight over a longer period of time than lose it up front and then regain. Regaining would kill me.

Now do not get me wrong, I do not eat all day or break the "rules" of eating. I just pretty much eat what I want and have been a lazy bones. I still am down about 20lbs doing essentially nothing in the following 5 months. I am still losing but very slowly 3-5lbs a month. I don't know when that will stop if I keep what was my path.

My original goal for myself was 140lbs and under a BMI of 30. I have met that (a pound shy of 140). My new goal is 125lbs and a BMI at or under 25. I will meet that too, by exercising, which is what everyone should be doing. I know I need to do it, it's good for me, but damn I hate it. But I will like it when I see my body change again and grow strong instead of shrink.

So I guess my theory is that the sleeve will get you out of obesity in about 6-8 months if you're following your rules for the most part (if you're a hundred pounder). The remainder of the weight is up to you. Like, it will take actual work and effort to lose it and keep it off just like anyone else.

I don't have the whole break down in front of me but... I'm 5'5" started at 250 lbs. 10 day pre op and sleeved on 10/21/13. At HW size 20 and 3x. 4 months later I weigh 187.2 lbs and size 12, and large. In 3 more lbs I will have lost 60% of my excesses weight.

I am 6 months out. I am 5'7". My highest weight was 278. When I met my doctor in June of 2013 I was 263. One week before surgery I was 257. Day of surgery I was 247 (8/14/13). Today I am 181.

Hope that helps or gives you an approximation. But everyone is different. I see. A wide variety of losses on signatures and profiles.

My program materials say that 18 months is within the normal range of losing 60+% of what you are going to lose. However, at my nutrition visit yesterday it was mentioned that 10% a month is a reasonable goal to reach for. I was to to not be disappointed if it takes a year to lose 100 pounds Everybody is different. Compliance, circumstance, emotions, illness, plateaus, exercise results....lots of things factor in.

i can;t help with stats as i never tracked them.

but i would suggest not planning a wedding for a year and half -2 years out in all honesty.

weddings are stressful anyway with all the planning plus dress fitting with be crazy as you can still be losing weight even 2 years out.

your skin takes a additional 6 months to tighten up after a weightloss so this will give you time for it to catch up and be a little tighter overall skinwise.

your hair would be growing back in and on a healthy level by that time too.

also its your wedding you will be far enough out that you can eat a little more have a drink or 2 and not feel the pain etc as you would 6months to a year out.

whatever you decide hope you both enjoy the day!

I will be just under 18 months out for my wedding in April but have not lost anymore weight since 1 year out as I was at goal. Depending on excess weight I would give it 1 year at the very least :) Congrats!

I'm 7 months out & I've lost 85 pounds. I've had lots of stalls. I still want to lose 60 more pounds... Give or take. My sister in law started at the same weight as me. She's 10 months out & down 143 pounds and lower than been , . She has been very strict with calories, like 600/day, and exercises at least 2 hours 6 days a week. We have both been successful, just taken different approaches to weight loss. I have a baby & she has older kids. So I can't leave my baby with older kids to work out since I don't have any older children. To a point you get out what you put in. But genetics also play a roll.

I just reached my goal of losing 100 pounds (started at 300). I'm a 28 year old male, and it took me 9 months. The first 3 months I about 50, in the next 3 months about 35, and then it took another 3 months to get the last 15 off. Good luck!

Llunker. As I was reading a couple of response I also felt like they were being hard on you. We all know this isn't a whaa laaa and boom model pops out. I wish I could answer your question. I am still pre op. I wish you and your fiancée the best of luck in your journey. Maybe plan the wedding for a year. That way there's no pressure to be in a hurry. It does take time and can be different for each person. Good luck.

Edited by SliminDownThick

I think this is a really bad idea to timebox yourself...sorry but partial stomach removal is a lifetime committment. If you have a small amount to lose you will get to goal faster. Men lose WAY faster than women. Individual results vary enormously. I lost 150# over 14 months.

I don't think you guys really understood the intent of the question. I am not thinking of this as a one time thing here in losing weight and voila here is a wedding where we lost 100lbs. .... You have no idea the amount of time in years(over 5) it has taken me to get to this point. My question was simply a general question to where hopefully not a lot of thought was needed for a response.

Actually I thought it was a great idea that way we can plan our journey together (as this is a lifetime decision) and have a general consensus that most of the weight is usually dropped in the 1st year or 1st 6months or whatever it is. We were simply using this information as a guide and not as a lifetime decision tool.

It depends on a couple of things. How diligent you both are and how much do you have to lose? I was very disciplined when I was losing. I was so excited and treated this as the most important 'diet' of my life. No bread, Pasta, rice, nothing fried and absolutely no sweets. I have always tried to under eat my sleeve, which makes things way more comfortable.

I've lost total 85 pounds, 23 of that was prior to surgery, the remainder I lost afterwards. I reached my personal goal just a few days shy of six months. I've been maintaining at or under my goal since December 2010.

Good luck, this is a life altering decision. Best choice I ever made for myself!!

I had my one year about 2 days ago. 233 pre-op, 138 at one year, 83% excess weight loss, which my surgeon said was what they usually see for bypass and is really good for sleeve. My original goal was 140, my revised goal was 125, and now I might try for 120. My plan does not set a weight goal, I do. The only goal or measure of success is "no longer obese."

I lost most of it in the first six months. I was about 165 in September, so about 30lbs in 6 months, which is a steady, healthy weight loss.

My only advice is do not worry about how fast you go. Long-term, if you relearn how to eat and where satiety is for you, how to balance your diet and stay out of crazy dieting you will lose and you will keep it off.

If these forums are pushing you to feel bad or do crazy dieting, find other support because that is only hurting you.