Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Abdominal pain and excessive gas

I was banded March 2012. I have been extremely happy with my band and the results. I still have 20 pounds to go, but I feel I have done well. I have been in the green zone for over a year and a half. Have had the typical issues of food getting stuck once in a while but that's it. Last week I started getting abdominal pain on and off but just thought it was indigestion? Wasn't sure. I haven't had a fill/ adjustment in over a year or been to a doctor. Monday night I started getting the pain again. Lasted all day yesterday and I can feel the gas just moving around in there. Tried gas x and drinking hot tea and broth. Feeling better today just some pain on and off. I made an appt but it's not til Friday. Just wanted to see if anyone had this happen before and maybe a clue of what it is or what I did.

Thanks for your responses!!

Lori

Hasn't happened to me but it's good you're not taking any chances? Other than just gas, it could be a slip or dilation? Are you experiencing any acid reflux or nighttime coughing, hypersensitive to some foods?

tmf

No acid reflux or coughing. I stay away from most bread because that can get stuck. I've learned my lesson on certain foods like that, I never eat rice!! Yes I hope it's not something bad but it does worry me.

Could it by any chance be your gallbladder? I know when I first had trouble with mine, I really thought I had horrible gas pains that I couldn't get rid of. I tried everything to no avail and wound up in the ER in the middle of the night when the pain finally had me vomiting. It felt like I had huge pockets of gas roaming around in my entire abdominal cavity.

Could it by any chance be your gallbladder? I know when I first had trouble with mine, I really thought I had horrible gas pains that I couldn't get rid of. I tried everything to no avail and wound up in the ER in the middle of the night when the pain finally had me vomiting. It felt like I had huge pockets of gas roaming around in my entire abdominal cavity.

Ughhhh I have no idea. But yes that is the exact feeling. The bloat and pain go away for a whole after I drink a hot tea or broth, or after I eat. I have the appt with the lap band dr Friday so hopefully he can see what it is. Thank u for your help!

Ughhhh I have no idea. But yes that is the exact feeling. The bloat and pain go away for a whole after I drink a hot tea or broth, or after I eat. I have the appt with the lap band dr Friday so hopefully he can see what it is. Thank u for your help!

Ya gotta love this forum? I never thought of gall bladder even though I've seen so many here who have had it removed.

You may even want to try cutting back on your fat intake until your appointment. I don't know what the exact correlation is, it has something to do with fat causing the duct to contract to release bile. I just know that within 24 hours of the doctor putting me on a very low fat diet (I had to wait for inflammation and infection to calm down before they could safely remove it), I felt like a million bucks! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Ya gotta love this forum? I never thought of gall bladder even though I've seen so many here who have had it removed.

Isn't it great? So many experiences!

Edited by TLL

By chance are you consuming a high amount of gassy vegetables? I have been going through these phases off and on and it is severe gas cramping along with a lot of flatulence and occasional diarrhea. Sorry for the TMI. Just trying to help. I found once I cut down my veggie intake a bit it smoothed out but still occasionally get it. Seems Brussels sprouts are a trigger for me. Also, I really like Cauliflower as well and that is known for causing gas.

This site has a little more information: http://howtostayhealthy.hubpages.com/hub/Foods-That-Make-You-Gassy-and-Bloated

By chance are you consuming a high amount of gassy vegetables? I have been going through these phases off and on and it is severe gas cramping along with a lot of flatulence and occasional diarrhea. Sorry for the TMI. Just trying to help. I found once I cut down my veggie intake a bit it smoothed out but still occasionally get it. Seems Brussels sprouts are a trigger for me. Also, I really like Cauliflower as well and that is known for causing gas. . This site has a little more information: http://howtostayhealthy.hubpages.com/hub/Foods-That-Make-You-Gassy-and-Bloated

Yes it definitely could be. I am a vegetarian but I do eat seafood. I have just never had it last for this many days. On Monday for lunch I had a hibachi grill with all veggies and shrimp. It started hurting around 7pm that night. Even yesterday it kept coming back( the bloat). I only had liquids on Tuesday and that may have made it worse. Only due to I was so nauseated. I'm going to try to eat normal today and see if it helps. That you for the link, I'm definitely going to read it and try to stay away from gassy foods.

My first thought was gall bladder too. From what I've read on this forum and from my sister (had hers removed but no wls).

Second thought was diet. Have you introduced a new food/recipe or whatever recently? Did you start drinking carbonated sodas? Are you eating more than you were before?

My first thought was gall bladder too. From what I've read on this forum and from my sister (had hers removed but no wls). Second thought was diet. Have you introduced a new food/recipe or whatever recently? Did you start drinking carbonated sodas? Are you eating more than you were before?

No I haven't. I quit drinking all carbonated drinks right before surgery. I ate a lot of vegetables on Monday and I think It may have been hard to digest? Maybe it stretched it? I have my appt in the am so I will keep this up to date with the results.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

So saw the doctor today he ordered an ultrasound and imaging for next week to see what is wrong. He also threw out "possible gallbladder issue". Isn't your gallbladder on the right side? My pain is on the left at he bottom of my ribs. But I know the tests will show what is going on. Hopefully it's nothing serious! I'm praying!

Yes, your gallbladder is on the right, but I had a lot of pain on my left as well. I really truly had pain all over my abdomen, the pain kept moving around which is what had me so confused at the beginning of it all! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, keep us posted!

Hi,

I had my surgery in 2008..Have had issues off and on and have gone down and up in weight have had the band tightened and loosend , now it seems my adjustment of the Lap Band is at a good point,but with stress and feeling overwhelmed with everything in life, my stomach gets so bloated with gas that I am miserable. I have tried so many products to relieve it..does anyone have a good answer for painful stomach bloating?