Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Runners?

So a few months ago I started walking, then jogging, and now I am running. I typically run 3-5 miles three times a week. I am working on increasing my mileage and am planning on a half marathon this fall.

I am finding that I am struggling to balance the banded life with the running life. Before runs you are supposed to eat foods high in carbs and lower in Proteins....but that goes against everything I have been doing to be a successful bandster. And my nutritionist wanted me at 1200 calories a day, but with my longer runs I get HUNGRY!!!! I am planning to go back to see her and talk about it.

Is anyone else dealing with a similar problem? Any suggestions for me?

So a few months ago I started walking, then jogging, and now I am running. I typically run 3-5 miles three times a week. I am working on increasing my mileage and am planning on a half marathon this fall.

I am finding that I am struggling to balance the banded life with the running life. Before runs you are supposed to eat foods high in carbs and lower in Proteins....but that goes against everything I have been doing to be a successful bandster. And my nutritionist wanted me at 1200 calories a day, but with my longer runs I get HUNGRY!!!! I am planning to go back to see her and talk about it.

Hey Bluegirly,

Congrats on your success! I'm getting ready to do my first HM in about 6 weeks.... So, take what I suggest with that in mind. Nothing more than an opinion.

For running 3-5 miles, your body will probably not need anything before you run....EXCEPT for adequte/normal hydration.

"Most people carry enough glycogen to exercise full out for 1-2 hours,"

I did my longest run this past Sunday, 18km, and had nothing except half pot of coffee before hand. During the run, I had 12 oz of Powerade zero, half pack of shot blocks, and one Gu Gel. It worked well for me.

I do agree for longer exercising sessions, that carbs are necessary....spread out with some Protein. I like Clif bars when cycling....they're about 4:1 (carbs:protein)

I'm glad you started this thread!! I'm gonna follow and learn! Happy running :)

Here's an article about this topic.. http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-runners/how-do-i-fuel-early-morning-run

PS...if you have a "LoseIt" account, the runners forum is very, very helpful.

Edited by catfish87

So I'm not a runner let me tell you that first :) I haven't gotten to where I can run more then 1 minute on the treadmill. However...my boss is Mr. Triathlete, Iron Man competitor etc.

The reason they tell you in running to go for carbs and light Protein is because the body will use the sugar (carbs) first for a big burst of speed. As a bandster we want our bodies to burn our fat, so we don't consume much sugar for the body to have access to.

Protein takes longer to digest and lots of "energy" and body resources are routed to the stomach for breaking down of the protein, where as simple carbs are digested easily and don't require much resources from the body who can then transfer the energy to the muscles that are running and helping you to go faster.

Now I'm not sure your competing for time...or you just are looking for duration in your run. That will determine what you want to eat before and after a "race".

Carb cycling might be what your nutritionist advises you to do as my boss does. He will carbo load before a race, and then use protein to recover.

All good info should I ever find myself running! Since I broke my foot 6 years ago though..sometimes just walking is painful :(

Depends upon what you are trying to accomplish.....

When I was concentrating on loosing weight, burning fat...I ran my 5 miles on an empty stomach, then had a recovery shake afterwards.

My goal was to burn stored fat for my energy source, NOT the calories I just ate....

If I was running in a competition, or had no excess weight of fat to burn, then yes, I need to fuel my body with carbs and calories....

Side note...I have very little faith in nutritionists....1200 calories sounds good for someone not going through WLS.....

We are a different breed....

BTW...my theory of not eating and burning stored fat was 100% spot on for me....worked splendidly....but that's me.

Edited by B-52

I am a runner. I've done a few 8k's and mudders. I never thought I would say I love running. I would not count on how many calories you intake and make sure you eat enough Protein after your runs. i would use a tracking app like MyFitnessPal to track how much calories you burn during your runs and make up the difference later in your meals. Before a run, I usually eat something light about an hour before, then after a run, drink a ProFit Protein shake to recover my muscles.

My suggestion is to not worry about the calories or track your calories burned to make sure you are getting 1200 a day.

PS- Congrats on the running. Its a huge accomplishment.

I agree with the above comments about running on an empty stomach- but making sure you are hydrated. Running seriously changed my whole body during the first year of my weight loss post-lap band. I started slow, alternating between walking & jogging, and eventually built up to running 5 miles, 4 times a week in the mornings before work.

To beat the hunger that comes from running- I always followed up with something that had Protein and carbs (usually a Protein shake with fruit)- and it helps. Make sure you stay hydrated throughout the day as well.

Best of Luck with your new fitness accomplishment! I hope it treats your body as well as it did mine :)

"She believed she could, so she did"

Lab Band- May 31, 2011

Starting Weight: 290

1 Year Surgervisary Weight, May 31, 2012: 160

2 Year Surgervisary Weight May 31, 2013: 163

UGW: 155- Reached June, 2012

Current Goal: To get back to UGW!

Thank you SOOO much for the suggestions!!!! I figured right now my body is still definitely in the "fat burning" stages so I wasn't really thinking I needed to worry too much about additional fuel. I just want to make sure that I am not going to pass out on one of my runs now that they are getting a little longer ;)

I don't eat the calories I burn so I try to stick to the 1200 a day. Now I know that's ok!

I'm so glad there are so many banded runners!! I'm sure this won't be the last of my running questions. I

I am just beginning running. I can do intervals with bursts of 5 min on the treadmill. Sometimes I feel port discomfort after a workout. I can't tell exactly, but I wonder if it is from the running, all the jostling up and down? Or maybe I just tugged something the last time I did crunches and it got aggravated during the next run?

PS Can I ask a silly questions? What do you do, how to you deal when you're in the middle of the run and you just run out of steam? What do you tell yourself to keep going? Any tricks?

I am just beginning running. I can do intervals with bursts of 5 min on the treadmill. Sometimes I feel port discomfort after a workout. I can't tell exactly, but I wonder if it is from the running, all the jostling up and down? Or maybe I just tugged something the last time I did crunches and it got aggravated during the next run?

PS Can I ask a silly questions? What do you do, how to you deal when you're in the middle of the run and you just run out of steam? What do you tell yourself to keep going? Any tricks?

First of all...congratulations...keep it up...anything you can do is great and it just get's better....

As far as running out of steam....I wear earbuds (noise cancelling) with my I-pod...have my favorite music loaded....after the first 5-10 minutes, I get completely lost in the music...I forget where I'm at, my mind is not even thinking about running....I'm thinking about vacations, relationships, work...all sorts of things, but not running....

On the treadmills, they have TV Screens which along with TV shows, it also shows your speed, pace, time, calories, etc etc...I Turn all this off...I do not want to see it...I do not want to constantly be distracted by thinking "15 more minutes" or "1 more mile to go"

Worse yet...I might look at it and say "Sh**! All that and I only went 1 mile? It's only been 15 minutes? Feels like 45!!!"

It's just me and my music....I run and do not stop till my chosen playlist is over....I now know which playlists equal what kind of distance or time so I have to mix them up....

And let's be honest...there will be days you just don't have it....not very often, but it does happen...I have gotten on the treadmill and after 10-15 minutes I simply say "Not today" Then I'll just do weights..

The PA at my Dr.'s office tells me she listens to "Lectures" or "Spoken Novels"...BLAH!...how boring for a workout..save that stuff for the car......I need rock and roll !!! The louder the better...